Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

The two most glaring:
Ranfurlie not ranked at all on AGD, on GA its 60
West Australian not ranked at all on GA, on AGD its 56

The common theme in a lot of these seems to be GA ranks a lot of Victoria courses higher than AGD does. Some state based biases here one way or another?

I think the GA ranking panel is around 40-50 people where the AGD is around 180 spread all over the Australia in an attempt to get a more accurate snap shot of the less visited courses.
The GA panel may have a large percentage of their panel in major cities.

#17 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

these rankings are always subject to opinion and controversy.
what makes a great course anyway.

How do the judges rate the courses ?
, do the judging panel actually play the courses ? or just have a nice dinner in clubhouse with committee.(the better the meal the higher the ranking?)

why do they do these ratings ..... to sell magazine...

AGD is a score based ranking per course, which is also subject to arguement on the values.
Shot values= 0-20 points
Resistance to scoring = 0-10 points
Design variety= 0-10 points
Memorability= 0-10 points
Aesthetics= 0-10 points
Conditioning= 0-10 points
Ambience= 0-10 points
Total score out of 80

Yes the judges actually do play the courses and are requested to play a minimum of 25 over the 2 year period.
I believe receiving free food/beverages/goods from a course are grounds to be removed from either panel.

Edited by Lukos87, 04 March 2020 - 04:15 PM.

#18 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

Ranfurlie was in the 100-125 range for AGD.
As for Port Fairy even through it does have a few very boring holes 18 in particular I found that to be a great course, it has some brilliant stretches of holes and demands some great shot making.
I’ve never seen leongatha but would assume it falls under the same umbrella of a few other courses. They are just in areas people won’t particully travel to for golf. Same as Lang Lang and a few others.

Well I hope those posts made a little bit of sense at least 😂
  • Henschke likes this

#19 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

Is there guidance as to what "shot values" means?
Resistance to scoring means is it a difficult course unless you are really good? Or does it mean its hard irrespective of skill level?
Which criteria is there for enjoyment/fun?
  • madness likes this

#20 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Is there guidance as to what "shot values" means?
Resistance to scoring means is it a difficult course unless you are really good? Or does it mean its hard irrespective of skill level?
Which criteria is there for enjoyment/fun?

Dunno. You’ll probably need to find an issue which explains them in detail.
Funny you should only mention those two. I find aesthetics and ambience to be the very odd ones.

#21 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:14 PM

I agree those two are ethereal as well.
In the end, the rankings are not a science. It's there to drum up interest and sell mags. For the clubs it's a great selling point so they want to be on the list. For the non-affilated golfer? People shouldn't take it so personally, you are allowed to rank courses however you like. But posting on a forum like this - be prepared to defend your criteria.
  • Bogey Golfer, Goldy and madness like this

#22 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:42 AM

In the end, the rankings are not a science. It's there to drum up interest and sell mags. For the clubs it's a great selling point so they want to be on the list. For the non-affilated golfer? People shouldn't take it so personally, you are allowed to rank courses however you like. But posting on a forum like this - be prepared to defend your criteria.

Who’s defending what now ?
  • Henschke likes this

#23 Crankyscott

Crankyscott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:20 AM

Wasnt referring to you and the AGD criteria
  • Lukos87 likes this

#24 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:43 AM

Ranfurlie was in the 100-125 range for AGD.
As for Port Fairy even through it does have a few very boring holes 18 in particular I found that to be a great course, it has some brilliant stretches of holes and demands some great shot making.
I’ve never seen leongatha but would assume it falls under the same umbrella of a few other courses. They are just in areas people won’t particully travel to for golf. Same as Lang Lang and a few others.

Well I hope those posts made a little bit of sense at least

I would hope that being a little bit more remote wouldn't effect a course's rating. I understand that maybe less raters would go there but volume of raters shouldn't equate to higher ratings anyway.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

#25 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:49 AM

AGD is a score based ranking per course, which is also subject to arguement on the values.
Shot values= 0-20 points
Resistance to scoring = 0-10 points
Design variety= 0-10 points

------------------------------------------------------
Memorability= 0-10 points
Aesthetics= 0-10 points
Conditioning= 0-10 points
Ambience= 0-10 points
Total score out of 80

Yes the judges actually do play the courses and are requested to play a minimum of 25 over the 2 year period.
I believe receiving free food/beverages/goods from a course are grounds to be removed from either panel.

Interesting criteria, but if look at factors above the top 3 are not going to change much from year to year , unless course does major redesign of holes.

conditioning can be measured on a scale of 1 to 10.(and subject to time of year)

ambience, memorability and Aesthetics are highly variable and subjective and difficult to measure accurately.

These might explain why courses take a big leap up scale one year and drop out of top 100 the next.

• Henschke likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#26 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1645 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:50 AM

I would hope that being a little bit more remote wouldn't effect a course's rating. I understand that maybe less raters would go there but volume of raters shouldn't equate to higher ratings anyway.

That was just an assumption, assuming that each ranking does have a minimum amount of rankings required to be included.
  • Henschke likes this

#27 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:53 AM

That was just an assumption, assuming that each ranking does have a minimum amount of rankings required to be included.

That's a good point. Does anyone know the answer to that one?

#28 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

Sorry but you're taking all the fun out of this. I'm out.

• Lukos87 likes this

#29 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

I've just read a fabulous article about one of the main GCA's in Oz and how anything that he has been associated with outside of the top 10 ( 7 courses ) are rated 8 to 12 places higher in one mag versus the other rankings !

Shows how the rankers can be swayed...

• madness likes this

#30 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:39 AM

I've just read a fabulous article about one of the main GCA's in Oz and how anything that he has been associated with outside of the top 10 ( 7 courses ) are rated 8 to 12 places higher in one mag versus the other rankings !

Shows how the rankers can be swayed...

Different rating criteria?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users