Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Hi everyone,

About me - I started golf at age 11 in Darwin and played till I was 19 (2 hcp). I stopped because of work and family etc, no time for sport. I got injured in 2000 while in the army and spent the next 17 years behind a desk not exercising much. In 2017 I retired at and decided to relax for a bit. 2 years later I was getting a bit fat so I got a 5 day membership at a local golf club and started my road back into this wonderful game.

After 8 months of golfing I've increased my weekly play time from 1 round per week (I struggled so much at the start) to 5 rounds per week (walking it easily now). I've lost 12 kgs!!!

I kept the basic stats since starting (62 cards kept).

• 30 putts per round
  • 50% fairways hit
  • 45.8% GIR (the weakest part of my game)
  • 240.9 metre Driver distance (only fairways counted, includes misshits)
  • 3 eagles
  • 106 birdies
  • 599 pars
  • 330 bogeys
  • 62 doubles
  • 12 triples
  • 4 others

I've played over 40 rounds where I didn't keep a card as they were swing change sessions as I'm self taught. So far my hcp would be about 3-4 but I'm not keeping one as I'm not playing competitions yet.

My goals with golf are to lose another 10 kgs and keep it off, get a scratch hcp and to meet people who love golf. If anyone want's to play a round don't hesitate to contact me, I play at Ivanhoe Golf Course Monday - Friday.

Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 904F, Precept Tour Premium Forged 2-PW-GW-SW, Odyssey White Ice

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25687 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:09 PM

Join the club - you'll have people to play with.
Join Veterans' Golf - you'll have people to play with.

We used to have regular events through this site, but all the crew have moved over to live4golf.com.au Join up there and check out the OOMs.

p.s. Retirees are not allowed to play golf as well as you do.
  • Brett likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#3 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

Cheers mate! Thanks for the advice.

Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 904F, Precept Tour Premium Forged 2-PW-GW-SW, Odyssey White Ice

#4 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

Yep, join the Veterans Golf Association. You get to play at a lot of courses at a lower than usual price, a great day out and usually afternoon tea thrown in. Plus, when you travel you can join in other Veterans groups. There is a fixtures book available covering all Vets events in Victoria.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#5 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9961 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

Cheers mate! Thanks for the advice.

Yep, join the Veterans Golf Association. You get to play at a lot of courses at a lower than usual price, a great day out and usually afternoon tea thrown in. Plus, when you travel you can join in other Veterans groups. There is a fixtures book available covering all Vets events in Victoria.

Brett

send me a pm and I will send you a fixture booklet with all the veterans game from each district.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users