Photo

Bunker Gur But Not Compulsory. Casual Water.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

As per the title, can I take relief from casual water in the bunker and drop in dry part of bunker ?

#2 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

Yes. Treat the bunker as normal if you want.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

Yes. Treat the bunker as normal if you want.

Wait a minute.
Rethink.
By the way the new term is TEMPORARY WATER.
I change my answer.
No you play the ball as it lies or take relief from the GUR bunker if you want free relief.

#4 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Can you explain why ?

#5 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:38 AM

If the bunker is marked as GUR or declared as GUR by the Committee, you have two choices - play the ball as it lies or take relief from the area of GUR (the bunker).  Those are the only two options that Rule 16 (Abnormal Course Conditions) provide.

#6 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

16.1/3 – Player May Choose to Take Relief from Either Condition When Interference by Two Conditions Exists

He doesn't have to take relief from both

#7 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:29 AM

16.1/3 – Player May Choose to Take Relief from Either Condition When Interference by Two Conditions Exists

If the temporary water is in the GUR, he only has one option - take GUR relief or play it as it lies.  Imo, 16.1/3 is not applicable - in the first example, the cart path is not in the GUR; in the second, there are two different Rules involved.

Edited by rogolf, 27 January 2020 - 03:32 AM.

#8 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

I think can be 2 diff event. Because it’s Not compulsory to take relief. One can play at it lies. It so unfair that you cannot take relief under temporary water ! The ball is 3/4 in water. Rules Must be practical and not penalise players just because of whether conditions.

#9 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:57 AM

Note, the bunker is set in a steep hill, with rough in the nearest point of relief. One (senior) could fall whilst swinging in the rough in the wet conditions. The main point is that it is not compulsory to take relief, so it is two independent events.

Edited by ellimb, 27 January 2020 - 08:01 AM.

#10 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

If the temporary water is in the GUR, he only has one option - take GUR relief or play it as it lies. Imo, 16.1/3 is not applicable - in the first example, the cart path is not in the GUR; in the second, there are two different Rules involved.

#11 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

Why one option ? It’s not compulsory to take relief from GUR !
2 different events and one can choose whichever option.
AAA I believe is correct

#12 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

Why one option ? It’s not compulsory to take relief from GUR !
2 different events and one can choose whichever option.
AAA I believe is correct

I should have said two options - play it as it lies, or take relief from the GUR. (but I could be wrong!)

#13 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

By Definition Temporary Water and GUR are two different conditions although both are forms of Abnormal Ground Condition. With that in mind and referring to Interpretation 16.1/3 I support this view and the player may follow a two step procedure if  that suits. 

Or, take relief from the temporary water only dropping in the bunker and playing the ball from there. 

The new position of the ball after taking relief in the bunker will provide a new reference point for taking GUR relief outside the bunker. That might be result in a better position for the player than taking GUR relief immediately.  that may not apply to the specific case of the original post. 

General advice on taking relief is to think through the likely result of lifting your ball and taking relief. Sometimes taking free relief is not smart  If you lift your ball then you change your mind and decide to put it back where it lay you incur 1 penalty stroke. 

#14 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:46 PM

Exactly

#15 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:48 AM

I have been convinced that I was incorrect and that the player is able to take relief from the temporary water within the GUR and then again take relief from the GUR if he so desires.  My issue was that it seems to be two bites at the apple, and that the temporary water was the reason for the area being marked as GUR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users