10 replies to this topic

#1 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

I had to opportunity to test the Cleveland HB Turbo 7 iron/ hybrid today.

I was interested to see if they really are easy to hit as reviewers on You Tube have been saying. In short; they are. I hit the ball about 140 m on my first hit. It was a high straight flight. This is about the same as I hit my Cobfra F9 single length 7 iron. What was interesting was the descent angle was steep. These things will stick on the green no problems. Just for interest I had a go at one shot and the flight was the same, but it went 150m ( a bit of wind assist) dead straight.

I was thinking of getting a few of these or similar for my wife to use as a rank beginner. I think she would get instant gratification at being able to get the shots airborne.

Who else other than beginners might benefit

1) seniors who are loosing distance

2) ladies who struggle getting irons to work well. My friend Ann tried the7 i and hit it 30 m longer than her own.

3) players who struggle with long irons and find hybrids inaccurate.

If anyone else has tried one of these type of products I would like to hear your feedback.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#2 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

Be interesting to see how they go on firm summer fairway.

lots of thin shots.

together with strong lofts, PW = 43 (which is everyones 9 iron) yes  they will go further.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

Be interesting to see how they go on firm summer fairway.

lots of thin shots.

together with strong lofts, PW = 43 (which is everyones 9 iron) yes  they will go further.

So they will be worth a try for old guys like you and me ?

• OldBogey and Bogey Golfer like this

#4 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

Mark Crossfield was doing a gapping test on a mat/ inside his studio and he was impressed enough to say that he was going to play them. 

I had a look at Drummonds Golf site to see if they are selling the Wilson Staff equivalent product. They are but in sets 4-PW. You can add a GW and SW I think singly.

The soles seem to get smaller as you approach the wedges. If they are anything like my C3i 65  wedge, they won't like hard tight lies much. 

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#5 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

The thing with clubs that have big wide soles such as the Wilson Launch Pad irons, the Cleveland Turbos, and their predecessor the Launcher HB's ... are that they are very good for those who chunk shots, eg, hit the ground before they hit the ball.

Due to their wide soles, they will just skid into the back of the ball and throw it skyward. A lot of older golfers move into them, a lot of beginners start with them, and a lot of ladies get them to help get the ball in the air with slower swing speeds .... so they are quite popular, hence Wilson now following Cleveland into that segment of the club market.

Those that the clubs won't suit however … are people who wish to flight their shots down, or shape their shots, as they are just designed to fly high and straight.

Just my thoughts though ……  (I have hit them all a fair bit)

• Bogey Golfer and xrman1954 like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

So they will be worth a try for old guys like you and me ?

Um, no.  ;)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#7 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

Further to my original post, type 3) golfer ( me) who have resigned to not hitting long irons , and yet find I rarely feel that my hybrid will hit a target/ green. I can get reasonable distance distribution, but laterally I am not that accurate.  The transition  from my 5 iron to hybrid ( both 22 degrees) is an area that I vacillate upon. I like the distance and high flight of th hybrid, but prefer the accuracy of the iron, despite the low flight (  cause: my lower swing speed and a SL iron). If one of these things gave me the best of both worlds I would be tempted.

#8 alexjohn

alexjohn

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Here are the best golf iron sets:
  • Best irons overall: Mizuno MP-20 Irons Set.
  • Best irons for average to high handicap golfers: Callaway Big Bertha Irons Set.
  • Best irons for low handicap golfersTitleist 718 AP2 Irons Set.
  • Best irons for extra distance: Cobra King Forged TEC Irons Set.

#9 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:02 PM

Update:  I ended up buying a used set of Cleveland HB Launchers 5-GW for my wife. I played with them in soft conditions and found them to be pretty good. They went straight or slightly draw shaped. It wasn't easy to fade them I found. 

I have changed my Hybrids too. I have started to use Cobra single length Hybrids( 19 degree F9, 22 degree F8 and 25 degree F8) . With the 7 iron length shaft, I found that they fly lower and slightly shorter than a traditional Hybrid. In effect think of them like an iron replacement. Accuracy wise though, I am hitting greens with them. They are good for chipping and punch shots.

To get the best out of them, play the ball in the middle of your stance and hit it like an iron.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

#10 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

Tour Edge have made similar irons successfully for years, they seem very reasonably priced. Has anyone bought those? or the premium Exotics version?

I had to opportunity to test the Cleveland HB Turbo 7 iron/ hybrid today.

I was interested to see if they really are easy to hit as reviewers on You Tube have been saying. In short; they are. I hit the ball about 140 m on my first hit. It was a high straight flight. This is about the same as I hit my Cobfra F9 single length 7 iron. What was interesting was the descent angle was steep. These things will stick on the green no problems. Just for interest I had a go at one shot and the flight was the same, but it went 150m ( a bit of wind assist) dead straight.

I was thinking of getting a few of these or similar for my wife to use as a rank beginner. I think she would get instant gratification at being able to get the shots airborne.

Who else other than beginners might benefit

1) seniors who are loosing distance

2) ladies who struggle getting irons to work well. My friend Ann tried the7 i and hit it 30 m longer than her own.

3) players who struggle with long irons and find hybrids inaccurate.

If anyone else has tried one of these type of products I would like to hear your feedback.

#11 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:20 PM

Tour Edge have made similar irons successfully for years, they seem very reasonably priced. Has anyone bought those? or the premium Exotics version?

Srixon ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users