236 replies to this topic

#226 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:07 AM

They had spiked the greens as part the autumn works, I reckon I must have had 40 putts today, so no good news as far as scoring is concerned. But that does not matter because I am still evaluating the latest set of swing ideas.

Still loving Mindy for driver. I get the feeling that the elbows are tied together, the Mindy grip, get the eyes lined up, then it is just a leg turn back and a leg drive through, pulling the club. Driver is perfect for Mindy and vice versa, imo. And it is starting to look like the full shoulder turn was the reason why I lost the feel for Mindy.

Hitting with the Elk right arm is also holding up. I think I hit one left today. One detail is that it seems essential to have extensor action, otherwise the left elbow can bend through impact, which leads to a poor shot.

Btw, I am not using the full 2,3 release with hitting, I do a Zach / Zen twist / Hogan supination with the left wrist to keep the face square to the path. So this is really a one barrel action, but it seems to go normal distance for me.

Both this Hitting and the Mindy method keep the face square to the path. Not one slice or hook all day. Pushes, yes, the odd pull also, but no hooks or slices.
  • Bogey Golfer likes this

#227 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

I think I now have the right shoulder going down plane. This is the first step towards an uncompensated swing, imo and following Lynn Blake's comment that "if you can't get the right shoulder down plane, nothing else matters much".

Very briefly, 4 things seem necessary for me to achieve this.

1: open feet and hips at setup, shoulders stay square
2: pelvis forward at setup
3: the shoulders "do nothing" as in no "full shoulder turn" winding up
4: eyes are square at setup and the right eye moves under the left on the downswing

I have no idea if this combination of ideas just works for me or whether anyone else on isg might find it useful.

The good news is that this is easy to test. Without a club, try these 4 then try what you normally do. Pay attention to what your right shoulder does. For me, it makes a big difference between an OTT right shoulder and a down plane right shoulder.

I think the first 3 are anatomical adjustments that help me overcome age related lack of flexibility. I think the eyes thing is a way to control the shoulders and prevent them following the line of my open stance.

We are just going into another lockdown, golf courses close from Thursday. It is also chucking it down with rain. Exactly what I needed just at the point I have finally cracked the right shoulder problem.
  • Jack_Golfer, Bogey Golfer and madness like this

#228 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:46 PM

I think I may have found the cure for my ‘lefts’. It’s all down to my pivot action. Up to date, I have had a tendency to keep my right leg, relatively straight on my backswing. This makes me prone to a reverse pivot and hence, a pull left.

I now bend my right knee, slightly inward on the backswing, keeping pressure on the inside of the right foot. I also bend my left knee, slightly outward, to the left. It feels a bit like I am doing the twist, as in the dancing action. Since I have started to do this action, I haven’t pulled a shot left. It has also given me a bit extra in distance as well.

I find this action is also better for my back and is less stressful for my body, as I turn my shoulders. At three score and ten, plus, I need to find ways to swing that minimize the stress to my back.

• BROWNMAN, Bogey Golfer and Devongolfer like this

#229 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:50 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=x7sshGiStaA

I like this. I won't post a lot of comments because I am reasonably sure no-one is on isg.

#230 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=x7sshGiStaA

I like this. I won't post a lot of comments because I am reasonably sure no-one is on isg.

Hi Dev, nice to see you still chasing that perfect swing.

It puzzles me why instructors go into all sorts of complications about swing mechanics when the basics are so simple. Rob Cheney could simply have said: maintain a FULLY BENT right wrist and FLW, with no radial movement of the right wrist. ie. no double c0ck. 

The other bit that is missing is explaining how to achieve that. Where is the description of how the forearm rotations play an all important part in the wrist movement.

Its no wonder golfers struggle with swing mechanics.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 21 February 2021 - 11:24 AM.

#231 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:31 PM

Hi, Jack,

great to hear from you.

Ok, so a couple of comments. Not the most succinct video, granted. But this speaks to the issue of left wrist coock and face rotation.

imo this is in the same general area of zen twist, mindy grip, DJ etc that is trying to keep the face square to the path but still achieve lag.

He says, and I agree, that the face on, L to reverse L flat left wrist instruction has been unhelpful.

I'm not really doing a lot on this at the moment, have not hit a ball for months. But this popped up on youtube. I have looked a quite a few that I consider to be utter nonsense, but thought this one was worth passing on.

I'm thinking we might be playing before the end of March. My plan is utter domination of the seniors' roll up, no more buying the coffee for me!

#232 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:17 PM

Dev,

are you not playing because of the weather or are you in lock down? We have been extremely lucky here, only missed a few weeks due to lock down and the weather is always perfect for golf.....unless it’s p..ing down or blazing hot..lol

#233 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

Triple whammy: lockdown, winter weather, course waterlogged.

#234 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:25 PM

https://m.youtube.co...UfF_FOmM&t=275s

Been watching youtubes as lockdown pastime. Posted this because I found great benefit from Mindy Blake's advice to have the "pelvis forward" at setup, but Mindy did not explain why.

This youtube may have the explanation. If I start with pelvis back, it can move forward into early extension. Start with the pelvis forward, it can only go backwards.

Back to forward move: bad. Forward and stable or forward moving back: good.

Made a big difference to my ball striking.

#235 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:07 PM

https://m.youtube.co...UfF_FOmM&t=275s

Been watching youtubes as lockdown pastime. Posted this because I found great benefit from Mindy Blake's advice to have the "pelvis forward" at setup, but Mindy did not explain why.

This youtube may have the explanation. If I start with pelvis back, it can move forward into early extension. Start with the pelvis forward, it can only go backwards.

Back to forward move: bad. Forward and stable or forward moving back: good.

Made a big difference to my ball striking.

One very important point that is missing in that video is the lifting up thru impact. As the Dart would say, you need to be pulling up on the club as hard as you can, thru impact. Its not just a matter of standing up. Feel the pressure in PP#2 as you push down on PP#1 thru impact. That's the sort of detail that non TGM instructors don't tell you.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 01 March 2021 - 08:08 PM.

#236 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:18 PM

Jack,

my interest in all of this has gradually moved away from "how should a swing work" to "why do people find it hard to make the proper moves".

Why do "95%" come OTT? How to make a simpler move if you lack some sort of strength, flexibility, talent etc.

Even in the pro game, there are plenty of players going away from orthodoxy, trying to find better methods.

I am slowly finding these "gems", the ideas that really do help as opposed to create yet more swing thoughts.

They say we can play in the UK at the end of March, so just in time for decent spring weather!

#237 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2633 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:24 AM

Great news, it must be extremely frustrating not being able to get out on the course. We take a lot for granted here. 

Hitum long and strong Dev;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users