20 replies to this topic

#1 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

Will Golf Australia  clubs be accepting hcps, established under WHS, from other countries?

Example:  A player establishes a WHS from US based on rounds played with his "group of buddies".  Non are in competition rounds.

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Yes. All jurisdictions will be obliged to accept legitimate (ie gained under WHS rules) handicaps from anywhere. 

Which is really the point of a World handicapping system

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25531 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:01 PM

It just means that the 'pool of bandits' will be much larger than just Australia wide.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2016 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Prize allocation is easily handled by Terms of Competition.
Separate visitor competition sections are common.
That said local as well as Overseas visitors would be in the same section normally.
I am not worrying about this. I doubt others at my Club are concerned at the prospect.
In fact the mere presence of overseas players is very pleasing for our members and management.
  • PerryGroves likes this

#5 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:18 AM

Yes. All jurisdictions will be obliged to accept legitimate (ie gained under WHS rules) handicaps from anywhere. 

Which is really the point of a World handicapping system

Hmm:  https://www.golf.org... 23-4-2019).pdf

It says there will be no change in "pre nominated scores".  Doesn't that mean it is up to individual clubs to accept?

#6 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:49 AM

GA’s existing pre-nominated social scores regulation will continue without amendment.

simply confirms it is an Authorised Format of Play as specified in the WHS Rules.

2.1a Authorised formats of play are:

Individual stroke play - general play

To paraphrase Rules 2.1a(i) & (ii) -

All legitimate scores from an authorised form of play must be submitted regardless of where the jurisdiction area in which the players is playing or where his home club is located.

2.1a(iii) says the player must pre-register the round for a general play round to be acceptable.

A club has no say in the matter.

Edited by AAA, 16 November 2019 - 01:54 AM.

#7 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:23 AM

Thanks.  Now how to "pre-register" ?  Phone not working means out of luck?

#8 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:47 AM

Thanks.  Now how to "pre-register" ?  Phone not working means out of luck?

You can do it at the course, on an app or PC

#9 clarhamp

clarhamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

GA’s existing pre-nominated social scores regulation will continue without amendment.

simply confirms it is an Authorised Format of Play as specified in the WHS Rules.

2.1a Authorised formats of play are:

To paraphrase Rules 2.1a(i) & (ii) -

All legitimate scores from an authorised form of play must be submitted regardless of where the jurisdiction area in which the players is playing or where his home club is located.

2.1a(iii) says the player must pre-register the round for a general play round to be acceptable.

A club has no say in the matter.

https://www.golf.org.au/whs/

This says the club does, and last year my Australia club did not allow social rounds.  It appears I will continue to have two handicaps.

#10 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:25 AM

https://www.golf.org.au/whs/

This says the club does, and last year my Australia club did not allow social rounds.  It appears I will continue to have two handicaps.

Very interesting. It is the only authority I have yet seen that includes that option for the club.

On a different note, it seems GA have not yet published their version of the full rules yet with less than a couple of months to go.

#11 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2016 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:44 PM

AAA re GA version of “full rules “ above. Which rules do you refer to?

I believe that most Australian Clubs will maintain 36 for men and 45 for women as standard Terms of Competition. GolfLink will handle the mechanism.

If enough members have GA handicaps over these maximums the Clubs will probably look at ways to allow their full handicaps for separate prize allocations. This would be in the spirit of encouraging less skilled players to play and stay fee paying members.

I note Clarhamp refers to having 2 handicaps. He/she will have only one GA handicap.

There have always been some players who can’t really play to the current maximum. There is hope for better recognition of their efforts to improve with the new maximums.

#12 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2016 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

Maybe Clarhamp is based overseas and that country manages C’s handicap. Social preregistered rounds are allowed, say.

When C shows up at an Australian Club to play that handicap will apply to any Competition entered. The Australian Club will not be examining the Handicap history and recalculating for any pre-registered Social Rounds. That would not be practical for a start and not compliant with the Australian commitment to accept the WHS.

If Clarhamp has a handicap of 14.4 in Country X, that would apply here.

To be sure Clarhamp could enquire of Golf Australia or the Australian Club they intend to play.

#13 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25531 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

Other than for an initial handicap for a new player, why would anyone have any need for a conforming social round?

If you aren't going to play in club comps for a 'real' handicap, then you don't need one at all. Social golf clubs which play, say, once a month at different courses, still have access to enter scores into golflink as a 'normal' club.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#14 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Other than for an initial handicap for a new player, why would anyone have any need for a conforming social round?

If you aren't going to play in club comps for a 'real' handicap, then you don't need one at all. Social golf clubs which play, say, once a month at different courses, still have access to enter scores into golflink as a 'normal' club.

What about rounds that I play in four times a week where our group of three or four play against several other groups of three or four?  Are these considered "social rounds"?  We certainly enter our individual scores for handicap purposes (North America).

#15 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3236 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:02 PM

Many players will play 'competitive' social rounds but not be able to play in formal competitions (at weekends say). The more handicap score the more accurate the handicap is likely to be. 

The current systems in Europe and the UK provide for extra day or supplementary scores to be returned to enable player's records to have additional pertinent data. These scores have to be pre-declared and attested.

Edited by AAA, 09 December 2019 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users