12 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:56 AM

TAKE QUIZ on the R & A App is the best starting point I think. This requires Player’s Edition only and is based on visuals.

Going to another level you might go to Golf NSW and use one of the several Monthly Quizzes. This level is more difficult and requires reference to the Rules of Golf as well as Player’s Edition. The Rules of Golf is online R & A.

I have recommended elsewhere going to Rules Academy- The R&A.
Revision Material and an Accreditation Quiz are what the Academy is about.

I am convinced that quizzes are the best way to learn and find out what you might have missed or misunderstood in reading the Rules.
  • AAA and BarnEsy05 like this

#2 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3645 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:38 PM

Wouldn't the best place to enact the rules be on the golf course, rather than in the classroom ?

Jon...

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:56 AM

Wouldn't the best place to enact the rules be on the golf course, rather than in the classroom ?
Jon...

Being taught on the golf course would be great as an adjunct to classroom.
Right now it is a virtual classroom.
Maybe somewhere classes are held with a teacher with visual aids and props maybe. That would be excellent.

Having practical sessions on the golf course would be part of the curriculum for the ideal educational process.

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3229 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

We do Rules presentations for clubs in the county. Large room enough to seat 50 around the outside. Mini course with coloured bunkers, penalty areas, trees etc. We ask a volunteer to play the hole with one of us and ask the spectators to stop us if a potential issue crops up. We always ensure there are plenty.

Taking full relief legitimately is always one that gets people going.

• languid likes this

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

We do Rules presentations for clubs in the county. Large room enough to seat 50 around the outside. Mini course with coloured bunkers, penalty areas, trees etc. We ask a volunteer to play the hole with one of us and ask the spectators to stop us if a potential issue crops up. We always ensure there are plenty.

Taking full relief legitimately is always one that gets people going.

AAA this is really good.
If I understand correctly you have props that you set up in the middle of the classroom and use a couple of golf balls and a few clubs to simulate things that can happen.
I can relate to the complete relief story.
Which Country are you doing this, may I ask?

#6 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

AAA this is really good.
If I understand correctly you have props that you set up in the middle of the classroom and use a couple of golf balls and a few clubs to simulate things that can happen.

We (Golf Canada) also use demonstration scenarios in our education system, and provide opportunity for participants to act as a referee for scenarios, in front of his/her peers, and then seek the group's feedback to her/him on performance - was the ruling correct?  well dones?  opportunities for improvement?  These would include both Rules knowledge, approach and interpersonal relations.

• languid likes this

#7 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Golf Australia hands the education/accreditation process to the States. Up to now, there has been no schedule of practical activity that I have seen.
In the past Classroom sessions we're held in headquarters regularly and at other locations including trips well away from Sydney.
These were based around Powerpoint and directed towards Club Level accrediation. Soon after the Classroom session participants would do a multiple choice quiz ..50 questions.
There was no practical or role play to my knowledge for Club Level.
It seems NSW wants aspiring referees and golfers generally to do Rules Academy which is Level 1 (Club Level) . After that ?

State level was much more demanding. For me several years ago two days at a Golf Course with handy accomodation. Classroom intense educational Day 1; theory Examination Day 2 morning, Practical afternoon Day 2.
The Practical scenarios were few but good.
It is remarkable how much you have yet learn, particularly doing your duties in Tournaments and comparing notes with others.

Interestingly NSW got enough people through State Level over time so they suspended State Accreditation. The State of Victoria appeared to have continuous Accreditation for State Level.

I must ask Golf NSW what is planned and happening with active State Accreditec referees.

#8 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:15 AM

Here's a link to the RCGA/Golf Canada Rules Education site

https://golfcanada.c...rules-education

It describes the three levels of certification.  Note that Levels 2 and 3 require on-course hours, so "certification" is a combination of technical (seminars/classroom/exams) and practical (on-course experience).  Certification at Level 2 and Level 3 last for four years and the technical portion of certification must be renewed after four years.

#9 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3229 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:24 AM

AAA this is really good.

Yorkshire, England. 

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

I have had a look at the Golf Australia website. 

I found there is a program that covers the range of Accreditations.

I attach the link below. 

I must enquire further of my State Association on what they might do to run a class at Level 1 regionally, preferably at my Club.   

I doubt if any of my Club's members have done or will do the online Course ..maybe a few will with some arm twisting.

I am pretty sure a good number  would attend a class at the Club presented by somebody from the State Association or a suitable level 2 or higher accredited person.

Level 2 accreditation was done in my State some months go. I didn't attend. I recall it now. I made a conscious decision ahead of the time to give it a miss. Two and a half hours by Train to Sydney and then staying overnight there at some considerable expense.  

The Level 2 Course  was done on 21-22 July (Sydney). I was on holiday enjoying seaside warmth North at Sawtell. We were escaping a rather cold winter in the Blue Mountains.  

I am in my eighties now. I am not about to embark on a new Refereeing "Career".  If you read the detail,  Level 2 is aimed at those who intend to take things further. 

So I won't chase Level 2 and consequently there is no point in  downloading the Level 1 Course material and offering my services to run the Class. I will download and look at the offering, though. 

Thanks very much AAA and Rogolf for your input.

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3229 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:52 AM

https://www.randa.org/en/rulesacademy

#12 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Here is a great resource, maintained by a former member of the USGA Rules Committee and the Joint Rules Committee:

http://generalarea.org/

• languid likes this

#13 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

Here is a great resource, maintained by a former member of the USGA Rules Committee and the Joint Rules Committee:
http://generalarea.org/

That is a really excellent resource.
Very interesting to see how the College Golfers get a serious grounding in the Rules as well as incredible skills coaching and competition.

Thanks very much. I'll be looking at this regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users