Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1157 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Tak27mX6iNY

Here is Jim face on.

It is always easy to see what you are looking for when studying golf swings, so I could be fooling myself, however..

I think Jim looks to have an open stance. I think he has a "Mindy like" leg drive.

If you were to say you wanted "pivot speed plus right tricep speed", I think you find that in this video.

His right elbow looks, to me, more like Hitting than Mindy's "drag / reflex action" position.

Seen from this angle, the quirky loop / lay down might be said to return the right elbow to a better position. Not in any way to put myself above Jim, but for me, as an ordinary golfer, I reckon it is better to cut out the top third of the backswing and stop the backswing before the right elbow starts to lift. That saves all the transition adjustments.

Mindy is not precisely the same as TGM hitting, the right elbow is the biggest difference, but there are many points of similarity. And Jim is not precisely the same as either Mindy or TGM hitting, imo, but again, I think there are enough similarities to say they are variations on the same basic pattern.

#17 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2499 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

Jack,
no,
Hold a club in just the left hand. Start with the left arm straight and the shaft in line with the left arm. That has no PA3 angle. Agreed? As you lift the shaft as in the direction of cocking the left wrist, you start to create an angle, which if you were to maintain throughout the shot would work as PA3.
Now hold a club with both hands in front of you. Create a bit of PA3 angle. Now totally relax the wrists and the weight of the club head will cause the shaft to drop until you have lost the PA3 angle.
Mindy wants to maintain the PA3 angle. What do you need to do with the hands to maintain it? Lift with the fingers of the right hand and push down with the heel of the left.
This is completely different to extensor action. Applying extensor action does nothing to the PA3 angle. Doing the Mindy thing to hold a PA3 angle does nothing in the direction of extensor action. Two different things.

Devon,
I tried using the Mindy method but I could not get the feel for it. It is so counter intuitive, I just couldn’t make it work.

Getting back to hitting, I have had problems with pulling left for a while now, particularly with longer shots. I have been trying to figure out how to stop it but I haven’t been able to find anything that provides a consistent solution. Today, I started using Pressure Point #3 to control the club face and club path and it seemed to work. It’s pretty much my last ditch effort to cure this problem, so, if this doesn’t work, I think I may have to give hitting away.

I have a week to practice before my next game so I will have some idea if I am on the right track by then.

Jack

#18 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2499 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=d7jePVzL47E
I posted this just to illustrate what I mean by "sideways on at impact". I don't think I was as extreme as Jim, but my feel yesterday was in that general direction.
It is easy for me to get distracted by Jim's quirky loop / lay down, but I believe he is well respected for his moves through impact and for being very straight.
I think I can see some Mindy in Jim's swing, I will give his swing some more study.

Dev,
I have tried playing with that side-on position thru impact but I find it terribly time critical. It feels great when its right but terrible if you get your timing wrong. I guess I just don’t have the necessary co-ordination to pull it off consistently.

#19 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1157 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Jack,

"the lefts" imo is the weak part of Hitting. It seems to me that all the right side faults like right hip interference, roundhouse, OTT, throwaway, heaving etc etc all give lefts.

Don't worry about the Mindy thing, if it seems counter intuitive, you have not understood my poor attempts at explaining.

My number one fix for the lefts is to keep the left arm away from the chest. Not easy to do if you have a history of using PA4.

#20 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2499 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

Today, I started using Pressure Point #3 to control the club face and club path and it seemed to work.
Jack

On reflection, I think what I am trying to do here is a hands controlled pivot. Withe my swingers swing pattern, I use pivot controlled hands, so this is a bit different for me.

#21 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3619 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

Devon,
I tried using the Mindy method but I could not get the feel for it. It is so counter intuitive, I just couldn’t make it work.

Getting back to hitting, I have had problems with pulling left for a while now, particularly with longer shots. I have been trying to figure out how to stop it but I haven’t been able to find anything that provides a consistent solution. Today, I started using Pressure Point #3 to control the club face and club path and it seemed to work. It’s pretty much my last ditch effort to cure this problem, so, if this doesn’t work, I think I may have to give hitting away.

I have a week to practice before my next game so I will have some idea if I am on the right track by then.

Jack

NEVER SAY NEVER

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#22 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3619 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ quiet here too!

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#23 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2499 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ quiet here too!

As the saying goes, if you don’t have anything sensible to say, best to keep quiet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users