16 replies to this topic

#1 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:17 PM

I played this course for the first time today. I have now played 364 courses, so I think I have enough cred to make a bold statement. This course just pips Lake Karrinyup as the best course in WA (by a whisker!). It rates as my no 16 overall, which includes a lot of overseas courses. The first 4 holes take you along the beautiful coastline dunes, with fantastic ocean views. Then, there are 5 holes that are very good, without the views but then Bang!, the back 9 has got to be the best 9 holes in Oz! The quality & design & more amazing views are the best! You have a few blind tee shots where you have to trust your swing & the course guide, which all adds to the thrill. This has been the most excited that I have been on a golf course for some time, yet to play it well, you have to somehow dull your senses & focus, as it could easily eat you up & if given the chance, the snakes would too!

Edited by Henschke, 09 October 2019 - 06:19 PM.

• hack2489 likes this

#2 benno_r

benno_r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMaryborough, QLD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

Interesting take. I wouldn't rate the Cut in the top 3 I have played in WA - and I have yet to play Joondalup, Cottesloe, or Karrinyup.

The 1st is a ok, a bit of a bridge that gets you to the dune lands. 2 and 3 are good, especially the views, but they almost feel like the same hole. 4 is also solid, but feels like a par 3 version of 2 and 3. The rest of the front 9 are perfectly fine, but are fairly mundane due to the less interesting land, and houses all around.

10 is way too narrow for the concept, but 11 to 16 are pretty good. Unfortunately stupid blind tee shots on 17 and 18, which then have the hole turning right on the other side of the hill led to my group losing 5 balls on those 2 holes. 17 and 18 are the prime examples for my take on this course:

Some amazing land - under utilised.

• Weetbix, Henschke and madness like this

Cobra F9

Cobra Bio Cell

Cobra Fly XL 19 / 22deg

Wilson c300 forged 4-GW

Grindworks 54/58

Toulon Atlanta - with Lajosi / Edel / Xenon / Odyssey / Ping / Black Lab on rotation

#3 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Interesting take. I wouldn't rate the Cut in the top 3 I have played in WA - and I have yet to play Joondalup, Cottesloe, or Karrinyup.

The 1st is a ok, a bit of a bridge that gets you to the dune lands. 2 and 3 are good, especially the views, but they almost feel like the same hole. 4 is also solid, but feels like a par 3 version of 2 and 3. The rest of the front 9 are perfectly fine, but are fairly mundane due to the less interesting land, and houses all around.

10 is way too narrow for the concept, but 11 to 16 are pretty good. Unfortunately stupid blind tee shots on 17 and 18, which then have the hole turning right on the other side of the hill led to my group losing 5 balls on those 2 holes. 17 and 18 are the prime examples for my take on this course:

Some amazing land - under utilised.

I don't let bad shots or lost balls affect my ratings. I think the blind shots add to the quality & test of a good course but that's just me. Everyone has a different take on things & that's what makes the world go round. Cheers!

• Weetbix likes this

#4 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:18 PM

Henschke, I rate your opinion, what’s your top 20?
Only issue I have with blind shots is if you hit it perfectly, exactly where you are aiming and never see it again it’s a poorly designed hole. Happened to me once on the 3rd at NSW, never forgave the course for that
  • Henschke likes this

#5 benno_r

benno_r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMaryborough, QLD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Only issue I have with blind shots is if you hit it perfectly, exactly where you are aiming and never see it again it’s a poorly designed hole. Happened to me once on the 3rd at NSW, never forgave the course for that

That kind of sums up the issue with those 2 holes. Both could have been designed a lot better to still have exciting blind carries, and not lose so many balls to what appeared to be decent drives.

Cobra F9

Cobra Bio Cell

Cobra Fly XL 19 / 22deg

Wilson c300 forged 4-GW

Grindworks 54/58

Toulon Atlanta - with Lajosi / Edel / Xenon / Odyssey / Ping / Black Lab on rotation

#6 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

Local knowledge is a part of the complex fabric of the game. I went through the fairway on the 3rd at New South Wales but couldn't wait to play it again knowing how the hole played. Having said that I have no desire to play the Cut again! I found it a pretty charmless course.

• Henschke likes this

#7 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

I'm not against the blind tee shot but I agree about the lost balls. Lost ball golf courses are mostly unenjoyable for the vast majority. Joondalup is spectacular and definitely worth playing but I would classify it as a lost ball golf course and would hate to be a member. The Cut is the same and nowhere near as interesting as Joondalup. Lake Karrinyup is such a nice place to play with rolling hills and lakes and hardly a noise from the outside world. If I had to nitpick it is a little bit one dimensional and favours the right hander hitting a long draw. One of the complaints of Cottesloe was all the raised greens but I thought it was part of it's charm. Being able to hit a little bump and run or a texas wedge up the side of a green like Martin Kaymer did at Pinehurst is a fantastic skill. Graham Marsh has turned them into big dart boards. I loved the green moving away on the first, the shallow green on the 13th and the downhill second on the 14th and now they are all gone!  :(  Despite this travesty it might still be the best layout in metropolitan Perth.

The Cut might not even be in the top 3 in Mandurah. Meadow Springs is a very good course but doesn't get the hype because it doesn't have an instagram moment and the old course requires you to shape the ball both ways and position the ball.

I have to confess that I grew up playing the old suburban courses and maybe I have a bias towards them but to me they are still the most enjoyable. They flow, which is something Alastair McKenzie talks about, and they have atmosphere. I can still remember playing pennant at Royal Perth for the first time and it isn't a great layout but the buzz going around the course was amazing. You knew how everyone was going and the emotions would go up and down during the day. I couldn't imagine a pennant game at Bonville or Brookwater. "See you all when we get back to the clubhouse!!!"  "How's Charlie going?" "Don't know but my facebook page looks great."

Sorry for the rant. 

• Henschke likes this

#8 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

My all time top 20 is as follows:-

Royal County Down (Champ)-Northern Ireland

Turnberry (Ailsa)-Scotland

St Andrews (Old)-Scotland

Royal Portrush (Dunluce)-Northern Ireland

Royal Melbourne (West)-Vic

Kingston Heath-Vic

Kingsbarns-Scotland

Portstewart-Northern Ireland

Cape Wickham-Tas

Ocean Dunes-Tas

Barnbougle Dunes-Tas

Sentosa (Serapong)-Singapore

Victoria-Vic

New South Wales-NSW

The National (Moonah)-Vic

The Cut-WA

Joondalup (Quarry/Dune)-WA

Lake Karrinyup-WA

Ballyliffin (Old)-Ireland

Kooyonga-SA

I am only a visitor in WA & have only played 6 courses here so far but according to official ratings, I have already played the best here.

I know the 3rd at NSW & again I must be different, as I loved it. Cheers!

#9 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

I'm not against the blind tee shot but I agree about the lost balls. Lost ball golf courses are mostly unenjoyable for the vast majority. Joondalup is spectacular and definitely worth playing but I would classify it as a lost ball golf course and would hate to be a member. The Cut is the same and nowhere near as interesting as Joondalup. Lake Karrinyup is such a nice place to play with rolling hills and lakes and hardly a noise from the outside world. If I had to nitpick it is a little bit one dimensional and favours the right hander hitting a long draw. One of the complaints of Cottesloe was all the raised greens but I thought it was part of it's charm. Being able to hit a little bump and run or a texas wedge up the side of a green like Martin Kaymer did at Pinehurst is a fantastic skill. Graham Marsh has turned them into big dart boards. I loved the green moving away on the first, the shallow green on the 13th and the downhill second on the 14th and now they are all gone!  :(  Despite this travesty it might still be the best layout in metropolitan Perth.

The Cut might not even be in the top 3 in Mandurah. Meadow Springs is a very good course but doesn't get the hype because it doesn't have an instagram moment and the old course requires you to shape the ball both ways and position the ball.

I have to confess that I grew up playing the old suburban courses and maybe I have a bias towards them but to me they are still the most enjoyable. They flow, which is something Alastair McKenzie talks about, and they have atmosphere. I can still remember playing pennant at Royal Perth for the first time and it isn't a great layout but the buzz going around the course was amazing. You knew how everyone was going and the emotions would go up and down during the day. I couldn't imagine a pennant game at Bonville or Brookwater. "See you all when we get back to the clubhouse!!!"  "How's Charlie going?" "Don't know but my facebook page looks great."

Sorry for the rant. 

Interesting points of view. I accept them & understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with you, from my own perspective but that's ok. That's probably why we have this forum, to create interesting discussion. Your final comment about Royal Perth is more about a good golf club, rather than a good golf course. I have heard from many Perth locals that they don't rate the course at all. Cheers & happy golfing!

• madness likes this

#10 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

That’s a pretty good list Hensch.
Have you played Royal Dornoch or Lahinch?
Re the third at NSW, I’ve played it subsequently very conservatively, an iron straight ahead down the right side.
Other guys I’ve played with have hit it further left and always found it.
I think I went through the dogleg and got unlucky but it peeved me nonetheless
  • Henschke and madness like this

#11 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

Kingston Heath-Vic
Kingsbarns-Scotland
Cape Wickham-Tas
Ocean Dunes-Tas
Barnbougle Dunes-Tas
Victoria-Vic
New South Wales-NSW
The Cut-WA
Lake Karrinyup-WA
Kooyonga-SA

I'm surprised that you rate Cape Wickham 3 spots below the Heath ?
Jon...

#12 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20078 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

Having played both The Cut, and the full configuration of the 3 x Joondalup 9's …….. I'd have to rate The Cut a touch above the Quarry (which to me is the most impressive 9 of the Joondalup layout).

As previous posters have mentioned, playing along the coastline amid the stunning scenery, and holes where you actually have to stop and think about your teeing off club ….. it is I think, hard to beat for quality.

It reminds me a bit of Barnbougle (but with much better weather), and the closing two holes at The Cut are just standouts and can make a real difference to your score at the end of the day, which is really good I reckon.

I, like Henschke, rate The Cut highly.

On my infrequent trips westward I do try to pick the eyes out of the W.A. golf courses given time and locale constraints, hence Joondalup on one visit and The Cut on my last one.

I'll have to start thinking about which one or ones to play on the next trip out west, as the Nullabor is calling.

• Henschke and madness like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#13 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

That’s a pretty good list Hensch.
Have you played Royal Dornoch or Lahinch?
Re the third at NSW, I’ve played it subsequently very conservatively, an iron straight ahead down the right side.
Other guys I’ve played with have hit it further left and always found it.
I think I went through the dogleg and got unlucky but it peeved me nonetheless

No, unfortunately i haven't played the 2 that you mentioned but would love to some day

#14 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

Having played both The Cut, and the full configuration of the 3 x Joondalup 9's …….. I'd have to rate The Cut a touch above the Quarry (which to me is the most impressive 9 of the Joondalup layout).

As previous posters have mentioned, playing along the coastline amid the stunning scenery, and holes where you actually have to stop and think about your teeing off club ….. it is I think, hard to beat for quality.

It reminds me a bit of Barnbougle (but with much better weather), and the closing two holes at The Cut are just standouts and can make a real difference to your score at the end of the day, which is really good I reckon.

I, like Henschke, rate The Cut highly.

On my infrequent trips westward I do try to pick the eyes out of the W.A. golf courses given time and locale constraints, hence Joondalup on one visit and The Cut on my last one.

I'll have to start thinking about which one or ones to play on the next trip out west, as the Nullabor is calling.

You are very wise & smart man. My week in Perth is now done but my next 5 to play, based on a combination of official rankings & many local expert inputs will be Kalgoorlie, Cottesloe, Mount Lawley, Meadow Springs & Secret Harbour if that helps!

#15 Henschke

Henschke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

Kingston Heath-Vic
Kingsbarns-Scotland
Cape Wickham-Tas
Ocean Dunes-Tas
Barnbougle Dunes-Tas
Victoria-Vic
New South Wales-NSW
The Cut-WA
Lake Karrinyup-WA
Kooyonga-SA

I'm surprised that you rate Cape Wickham 3 spots below the Heath ?
Jon...

Cape Wickham is amazing but you can't beat pure quality at Kingston Heath!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users