• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

not sure what you mean

when ball leaves clubface

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#32 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

when ball leaves clubface

Still not sure what you mean.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#33 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

I paid my money, bit the bullet , pulled the trigger as the Americans say( how apt ) and signed up to JV's website. You get a week free trial to test if it is for you. Hint: when you sign up your user name should not have any gaps in it, otherwise it gives " invalid User Name"

I watched his first section of videos last night covering his theory and then a simple course on bump and run methods/ variables such as club selection for the shot. The reason for B&R first is that it is the simplest stroke to ingrain his setup. So far it seems that he is heavily biased towards draw shape shots for all shots.

BTW by watching his You Tube videos I believe I had about 90 % of his setup worked out. It will be interesting to see if that 10 % I had NQR wil see a significant improvement.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#34 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

I paid my money, bit the bullet , pulled the trigger as the Americans say( how apt ) and signed up to JV's website. You get a week free trial to test if it is for you. Hint: when you sign up your user name should not have any gaps in it, otherwise it gives " invalid User Name"

I watched his first section of videos last night covering his theory and then a simple course on bump and run methods/ variables such as club selection for the shot. The reason for B&R first is that it is the simplest stroke to ingrain his setup. So far it seems that he is heavily biased towards draw shape shots for all shots.

BTW by watching his You Tube videos I believe I had about 90 % of his setup worked out. It will be interesting to see if that 10 % I had NQR wil see a significant improvement.

great stuff xr,nqr is what?

Iam a LEARNER

#35 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

great stuff xr,nqr is what?

NQR = not quite right.

I was hoping to get out the range to test if gripping the club after ( not before as I had been doing) pivoting onto my left side / closing my shoulder line& hips to target line, then staying still body wise during the swing would change ball flight. I was getting the occasional straight flight and then a tail off fade with my irons. The correct method should result in a stronger grip.

It was not to be as the rains arrived and then I had to go back to work for 1.5 hours. I know, how rude! Just because a kid wanted his braces off his teeth, you will have to wait to find out if it made a difference. 

The first few videos covered the use of bump and run with various clubs, then the pitch shot as an extension of the B&R, then the pitch with various club face opening and ball positions. I noted that he opens his usually closed stance for the pitch shots a little when trying for the high trajectory pitch shots.

I had a quick look at the long game swing videos, but I think I will play around with his methods on the short game before going to the long game videos further. 

You can send video of your swing to Jim for appraisal and email for advice. 

Edited by xrman1954, 06 August 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#36 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

NQR = not quite right.

I was hoping to get out the range to test if gripping the club after ( not before as I had been doing) pivoting onto my left side / closing my shoulder line& hips to target line, then staying still body wise during the swing would change ball flight. I was getting the occasional straight flight and then a tail off fade with my irons. The correct method should result in a stronger grip.

It was not to be as the rains arrived and then I had to go back to work for 1.5 hours. I know, how rude! Just because a kid wanted his braces off his teeth, you will have to wait to find out if it made a difference. 

The first few videos covered the use of bump and run with various clubs, then the pitch shot as an extension of the B&R, then the pitch with various club face opening and ball positions. I noted that he opens his usually closed stance for the pitch shots a little when trying for the high trajectory pitch shots.

I had a quick look at the long game swing videos, but I think I will play around with his methods on the short game before going to the long game videos further. 

You can send video of your swing to Jim for appraisal and email for advice. 

great stuff mate,really hope you find it to your liking,it sounds good.

Iam a LEARNER

#37 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:10 PM

I went to the Heywood course today for a game, but arrived too late.

I spent some time dutifully doing bump and runs and then pitches with different ball positions to see the variation, all using the JV swing. I was getting some good results, fairly predictable pitches onto the green from 45 M, 35M, 25m and very close with the bump and run from just off the verge.

Then I went out to play a practice round. My first tee shot was a push, as was my second on hole #2. I carefully assumed the position as per JV's teaching and strengthened the grip a bit more and and" pow", a long tight draw shape. Got it!  I think I was being ambitious on holes 1&2 trying to draw a tee shot there with trouble on the close right. Normally I would fade a tee shot on both those holes, but I am trying a new swing after all!

My hybrids shots were pretty good during the round. Some pushed right a bit, but I found my alignment wasn't correct on those. The iron shots into the green from 130 m in worked well. My plan was to hit the hybrid to within 130 m and then try for a GIR on the par 5 holes.

I fooled around with a couple of putting methods, looking at the hole during the stroke Vs looking at the ball already having estimated the strength of stroke required. Still not sure which is more effective for me.

• Weetbix likes this

#38 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:19 AM

Sounds like you are starting to get the groove with the JV swing

The good thing I find once I am confident with a swing is that I'll gain a club length or even a bit more as I start to just swing and not male that action I've been working on - hopefully you see that sort of improvement as well over the coming weeks/few months
  • xrman1954 likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#39 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

I have watched the level one (of four levels) except for the lob wedge section. 

He has set the program out so that you start to learn the swing with small bump and run shots, with ascending length of clubs, until you get a clean strike and a good ball flight. Then it is pitching with the same sequence. Then irons starting with 9 iron and going up ( premise is : shorter is easier), then onto other clubs. He has some basic strategy sections, sand ( greenside and fairways)

My next task is to go out and B&R until I feel I have it sorted , then video my self and send it to Jim for review. Then repeat with other clubs. 

He suggested that we measure the shot lengths per club and record it in a yardage book for later use in games. To start with he suggested 1/4. 1/2 3/4 full swings for each club be  recorded.

His fee is $30 US/ month or $300/annum. For this you get unlimited access via video/ emails with Jim.

I will spend about a month working on the swing and absorbing the level one content, trying to put it into practice.

So far I am getting pretty good results quickly, however I did what Jim tells you not to do. That is , see a You Tube video and then use his swing ( or what I thought it was by visual learning) in a game situation. Lucky for me I am a good visual learner and have an analytical brain ( just my body is buggered) ,so I got it about 90% right.

Does anyone know how to place a footer on their messages like Weetbix above does ?

I was wanting to add, " I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times, but I just can't type" to explain my typos, bad spelling and strange words ( look one key in any direction on the QWERTY keyboard from the letter I typed to find the one I meant to use.

BTW I am heading back to the snow for another week to babysit my grandson. So no updates for a while.

Edited by xrman1954, 11 August 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#40 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

You should find the signature as an option when you click on your name in a post

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#41 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

Thanks Weetbix. I found it and it works. I will no longer need to cringe when I read what I typed ever again!

#42 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:21 PM

Jim diagnosed my push shots with driver. I was opening my shoulders during the swing (an old habit of mine) . Once I kept still during the swing I started getting predicatable draw shots. It is making tee shots way less stressful for me. 

Now I need to work on getting a predictable fade using JV's method. This is a bit weird, because I usually fade my tee shots. I noted that using JV's fade I got really good contact, but not great direction or shape yet. Early days yet.

#43 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

Looked at some of his videos. It's very 'armsy' to my eyes. I can see it working much more easily with the shortened backswings. Be interested to try it with my 2 iron off the deck out of interest. I did the Gary Edwin pattern many years ago. Even had a couple of lessons from him in person. I liked some aspects of that method but in the end sort of gave it up when I gave the game away for a while. There are some correlations although I don't think Edwin's pattern was quite so left side locked as this JV pattern is. I always thought it a misnomer by GE to call his pattern Right sided Golf. Never understood that. I think the JV method is based on just removing as many moving parts as possible and creating a way of trapping the ball consistently. Like the Sqr2Squ or S/Tilt methods, they're trying to reduce inconsistencies by reducing movement. Being a sufferer of back problems like most of the planet, it looks to me like you would suffer issues with this style after some time. 

#44 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

I think you have the basic idea 333pg333. I got the best  easiset contact so far using this method. That resulted in more distance, which would possibly off set any loss of distance through being 90 % armsy swing.  He ( JV) describes it as hitting from a position ( set) so it doesn't require co-ordination; least moving parts therfore easier for the average punter. He said stillness is the the key swing thought required.

My left rib cage is sore already. The sore back is no worse!

#45 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

I think you have the basic idea 333pg333. I got the best  easiset contact so far using this method. That resulted in more distance, which would possibly off set any loss of distance through being 90 % armsy swing.  He ( JV) describes it as hitting from a position ( set) so it doesn't require co-ordination; least moving parts therfore easier for the average punter. He said stillness is the the key swing thought required.

My left rib cage is sore already. The sore back is no worse!

It sounds very similar to our hitters pattern in so much as,we start from impact position,and this pattern also has less moving parts,we call "components",with our hit pattern,there should also feel like there is some stillness,to some degree.  Im still out injured so i cant get involved in trying it out,all im doing is heaps of chipping at the moment and for some time i would say..I was a spectator at a game recently and saw similar set-up at address,although not same as jv,im thinking the guy was using a bit of mindy blakes swing,he had hook issues going on with it,so i never got into it with him lol

Iam a LEARNER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users