148 replies to this topic

#16 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

There seems to be a few types of this sort of swing around. I'm playing with the Square to square model. Feels pretty simple and able to be repeated with good results. 

https://www.youtube....yhW4wuSEV9o5_Be

#17 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

There seems to be a few types of this sort of swing around. I'm playing with the Square to square model. Feels pretty simple and able to be repeated with good results. 

https://www.youtube....yhW4wuSEV9o5_Be

i wish i could try it out,but dickie knee wont allow me to

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#18 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

i wish i could try it out,but dickie knee wont allow me to

Left knee? He seems to put quite a bit of pre-set pressure through the left side but I think you can modify this slightly and still get good results. 

#19 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Left knee? He seems to put quite a bit of pre-set pressure through the left side but I think you can modify this slightly and still get good results. 

yeah mate......left

Iam a LEARNER

#20 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Knee brace? I have one you can borrow if you like. I haven't used it for years since the last pine tree I clipped on my enduro bike. Playing pin ball between the trees was not fun. I cut down my handlebar width after that.

Edited by xrman1954, 01 August 2019 - 05:18 PM.

• BROWNMAN likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#21 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

I intend to sign up with Jim Ventos for a month ( $30 US) and see what benefits I get with his program. I will keep you posted.

There are other swings being promoted as 333pg333 mentioned. I think they have to be simple and repeatable and suit your body/natural swing. If there are a myriad of checkpoints you have to hit to get it right, I think it leads to too much thinking during the swing= poor outcomes.

I flirted with the Grave Golf academy swing like Moe Norman method, but found it too demanding to pick up. I liked the Kirk Junge's modification of the single plane swing idea. His minimalist single plane swing is very quick to pick up.

The KISS principle for players aspiring to become reasonable club golfers, not champion golfers , makes sense. Find a system that appeals to you and try it out. For me, if the ball goes where I think I aimed it ( 85% of the time) and I don't lose distance, then I am keen to persist with it. I want quick results too, not work on these basics for 6 months until ingrained, then go play golf again.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#22 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Knee brace? I have one you can borrow if you like. I haven't used it for years since the last pine tree I clipped on my enduro bike. Playing pin ball between the trees was not fun. I cut down my handlebar width after that.

thank you very much for the offer of brace xr,but im wearing a "patella strap" that i bought earlier this week that is supposed to help,i have a bit of bone floating around,it has to come out,but im not in p/health so not sure when this is going to happen..again thanks.....suppose it may help if i stop hitting so many balls around my prop,i have been hitting about 200/day on average.i have a cuppla short par 3 targets set up,i dont call it practice most days,i just enjoy the hitting them,the damage was caused by falling off a ladder,so,im not climbing ladders ...as much...good luck with venetos swing too,keep in touch,will be very interested

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#23 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

I intend to sign up with Jim Ventos for a month ( $30 US) and see what benefits I get with his program. I will keep you posted.

There are other swings being promoted as 333pg333 mentioned. I think they have to be simple and repeatable and suit your body/natural swing. If there are a myriad of checkpoints you have to hit to get it right, I think it leads to too much thinking during the swing= poor outcomes.

I flirted with the Grave Golf academy swing like Moe Norman method, but found it too demanding to pick up.

I liked the Kirk Junge's modification of the single plane swing idea. His minimalist single plane swing is very quick to pick up.

The KISS principle for players aspiring to become reasonable club golfers, not champion golfers , makes sense. Find a system that appeals to you and try it out. For me, if the ball goes where I think I aimed it ( 85% of the time) and I don't lose distance, then I am keen to persist with it. I want quick results too, not work on these basics for 6 months until ingrained, then go play golf again.

modern golf teaching is becoming more and more about buying and promoting swing packages and ways to have a lovely looking golf swing modelled on some god like tour player.

look at the 4 methods you mentioned above, plus many others.

golfers will like you are doing try one brand, dont like it try another brand.

It seems we are teaching golf swing and not how to play golf game which is get the ball in hole in lowest number of hits.

your last thought KISS is best one.

learn to hit the ball with a square clubface consistently and learn to score.

• xrman1954 likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#24 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Therein lies the crux of the issue." Learn to hit the ball with a square club face" has been an issue for me and probably many other amateur golfers. There just seem to be so many variable in the modern golf swing that need pretty good co-ordination to perform this task. I am a pretty good with hand eye co-ordination ( well my patients used to think so while I was doing surgery- no-one died ever) but I struggled getting a repeatable divot with my irons and control of my driver was so-so unless it was a fade shot.

Once I started trialling the JV swing I improved a lot with cleaner strike,divots, and direction. I can draw a driver now no problems. I think it just cut down the number of variables I had to co-ordinate.

" learn to score" is dependent on the ability to get the ball to go where you want it, which means repeatable reliable strike and then avoiding doing dumb things (shots you can't do reliably).

My point is for the recreational golfer, if you can find a golf swing "brand" that works for you, giving repeatable, reliable strike and learn some course management, then you are on your way to more enjoyable golf. 

• BROWNMAN, Bogey Golfer and Weetbix like this

#25 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

Therein lies the crux of the issue." Learn to hit the ball with a square club face" has been an issue for me and probably many other amateur golfers. There just seem to be so many variable in the modern golf swing that need pretty good co-ordination to perform this task. I am a pretty good with hand eye co-ordination ( well my patients used to think so while I was doing surgery- no-one died ever) but I struggled getting a repeatable divot with my irons and control of my driver was so-so unless it was a fade shot.

Once I started trialling the JV swing I improved a lot with cleaner strike,divots, and direction. I can draw a driver now no problems. I think it just cut down the number of variables I had to co-ordinate.

" learn to score" is dependent on the ability to get the ball to go where you want it, which means repeatable reliable strike and then avoiding doing dumb things (shots you can't do reliably).

My point is for the recreational golfer, if you can find a golf swing "brand" that works for you, giving repeatable, reliable strike and learn some course management, then you are on your way to more enjoyable golf. 

hitting the ball with a square clubface is not ideal imo,all things being equal,  ie plane line ball position etc..unless your Moe lol

Edited by BROWNMAN, 03 August 2019 - 10:42 PM.

Iam a LEARNER

#26 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

OK then , what about club face square to the plane of swing when you want it to be? That is; straight shots ( left, right , centre of fairway) There was a time I would be happy to be able to do a pull or push stroke on command. Actually any stroke on command would have been a blessing! Being a member of the " Whack Bugger " golf club used to annoy the hell out of me.

Now that you mention Moe ( as is  Moe Norman) I often wondered why my playing partners would say his name after my tee shots. I was trying his single plane swing method at the time, you see. Then I realized that they were saying," Doh", as another shot sailed off into the right side bush.

Edited by xrman1954, 04 August 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#27 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

All sins begin at address,incorrect alignments,grip.?.....grip pressure?...clubface ..a whole range of errors that can be made at address....one big thing i feel is also the cause of bad shots is "intent",by this i mean when one get confronted with a long shot around obstacles or unusually high or low ,how we handle them,i found that when i was confronted with these types of shots ,i would take needed alignment grip etc but inevitably squeeze the hell out of the grip ruining the chance of making the good shot until i found that if i simply relaxed my grip pressure ,the shot would come off most times.......maybe your trying too hard with your hands, (steering)?..if all things were set up correctly at address,and let the club find its own way to square .......its a long story with lots of episodes (the golf swing)......at least we are searching for happy ending..lol

Iam a LEARNER

#28 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

OK then , what about club face square to the plane of swing when you want it to be? That is; straight shots ( left, right , centre of fairway) There was a time I would be happy to be able to do a pull or push stroke on command. Actually any stroke on command would have been a blessing! Being a member of the " Whack Bugger " golf club used to annoy the hell out of me.

Now that you mention Moe ( as is  Moe Norman) I often wondered why my playing partners would say his name after my tee shots. I was trying his single plane swing method at the time, you see. Then I realized that they were saying," Doh", as another shot sailed off into the right side bush.

The golf ball tells you what is happening in the swing, not as many believe that the swing telling you what the ball should do.

the club face at impact indicates the start line of the ball.

the path line gives feedback on curve away from the path line

• BROWNMAN likes this

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

#29 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

The golf ball tells you what is happening in the swing, not as many believe that the swing telling you what the ball should do.

the club face at impact indicates the start line of the ball.

the path line gives feedback on curve away from the path line

not separation ?

Iam a LEARNER

#30 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:27 PM

not separation ?

not sure what you mean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users