148 replies to this topic

#136 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:15 AM

Question: Does this swing have you set up with the face to target (which would require a closed face at address) or pointing along your closed stance line and relying on drawspin to bring you back? 

#137 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Answer: The first. 

Method:

1) line feet  and shoulders to target ( I tend to bring my trail foot back a bit too)

2) align club face to target, held lightly with trail hand with finger and thumb only.

3) pivot onto your left / lead side such that your shoulder line is now closed to target line.

4) take a strong grip, making sure that you don't alter the previously set club face.

5) keeping the weight on your lead leg 70/30- ish swing along your shoulder line, which should give you a draw spin, unless you hit it heel side of the club face ( ask me how I know this)

6) the emphasis is on not moving your  lower body much from the pre -set " impact " position and back swing only as far as you can to avoid movement / rotation.  The arms sort of collapse / bend in the back swing, rather than the low and slow wide rotatory method. It also requires a feeling of extension down the line after impact.

It feels weird at first and the emphasis is on striving to keep your body still, or as close to it as you can so the swing plane doesn't alter. I used to think I could do this until I videoed myself and saw my knees rotating and still a bit over the top. I slowed my back swing and worked on a slower tempo to fix it .

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#138 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:33 PM

Ok got it thanks. This actually reminds me of a drill I've been doing to try to swing more from the inside line. It definitely works producing some satisfactory draws. Sounds like you're not really encouraged to use the bottom half of your body as much though? 

#139 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:30 PM

Not encouraged at all. Try to keep still is JV's motto. The reason being that you are. already in the ideal impact position at set up, therefore any lower body movement is counter productive. For me, when I don't restrain my trail shoulder, I rotate and then  I swing more out to in and end up with a push fade shot.

If you can use the whip of the club, lag or whatever you want to call it, the distance is pretty good. I am as long, if not longer than most of my contemporaries with my shot distance for Driver.

Edited by xrman1954, 31 March 2020 - 03:33 PM.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#140 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:45 PM

So it's virtually meant to be totally upper body / arms? Does he just discourage lower body / leg movement knowing that it's going to occur anyway? Seems if its so 'top-centric' that you could be putting more pressure on lower back? 

#141 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:45 PM

Yes it is an "armsy" swing. I think the stillness is an ideal, probably not fully achieved ever. The goal is to keep the swing plane stable in that your arms follow the set shoulder plane. If you can do that the JV swing delivers good strike and accuracy. I had tried stack and tilt prior to JV method. For some reason I found stack and tilt hurt my lower back/ right gluteal muscles. So far the JV swing isn't aggravating old injuries.

If you look at it as setting up in the impact position and then holding that position until you return to hit the ball, then that is about it. Your weight is already on the front foot, you get a shallow path inside to out and usually good contact. It is harder than you think to keep still when you transition into the through swing. My trail shoulder kept rotating around giving a out to in swing path, until I managed to work out how to get to the ball without rotating.

Edited by xrman1954, 09 April 2020 - 08:46 PM.

#142 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:27 PM

Being back playing golf after 7 weeks away for questionable reasons ( I live in Victoria) I noticed my swing speed was lower than it had been prior to lock down. I had lost distance on most shots, but mainly tee shots.

Using the PRGR launch monitor my Driver speed was in the mid 80s today. It had been 93 mph in March. I know I am not as fit as I would like at present, having a chronic right side gluteal tear has made exercise difficult.

Jim has me using the Golf V1 App to record my swing and send the video to him for analysis.

I did a video of my driver swing in my home net area. Oh dear! It looked bloody awful. I am still having issues with timing the closure of the club face when attempting a draw shape shot. When that happens I get a high push shot out to the right side.

I worked on my set up basing changes on the Stack and Tilt videos on You Tube. JV really doesn't concentrate on this aspect  of the game early on. JV swing  is very similar to S&T in some ways, except he takes it a little further in that you adopt the impact position and try to stay there.

I widened my stance a little to shallow the club path, loosened my grip pressure, slowed my swing tempo and hey presto swing speed back to low 90's again. Carry distance was back to 190-200 m  on the launch monitor. I think I was hitting a draw shape shot, but I will need to go to the range to check. I redid the video and hit some pretty good shots I thought. What  pity I had moved the camera and only my club was visible ( not me).  Sigh!

After  that I checked my swing speed and carry distance with my GW, PW, 9 iron using the PRGR monitor. I use these clubs for approach shots most frequently. The distance the monitor gave was pretty close to what I would have expected from experience on the course and Arccos Caddie data. The shots I hit crisply gave the the closest to the on course distances I have measured. Smash factor was 1.4- ish on those shots.

My guess on reasons for the slower swing speed is that it is not  all physical . When you are having issues with control of your shot , the natural tendency is to slow it down to regain control.  I am  natural fader of the ball. I was attracted to the JV swing in order to learn how to draw shots reliably. Just as a check, I hit some Driver shots with a power fade action. 92 mph was the swing speed on the first shot. It looks as if I need to grip it an rip it when trying to draw too!

Edited by xrman1954, 07 June 2020 - 07:32 PM.

#143 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Off topic xr,your glut tear?......does the pain in glut travel down to back of thigh ?and what are you doing to treat it....cheers   

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#144 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

It is a chronic injury now > 12 weeks. The has contracted / spasmed and needs to release. I have tried dry needling/ low level laser therapy ( eqivalent results) i.e. feels better for a few days then slowly returns. I have tried rolling on a golf ball and Yoga ball, trying to keep constant pressure on the muscle knot for 10-15 minutes ( it hurts) . I am delaying getting my daughter ( remedial massage therapist)  to work on it. I am sure she is exacting revenge for past wrongs! If it gets irritated by above ball pressure I add a heat bag.

When I can get the thing to release, then I am told stretching it will help.

• BROWNMAN likes this

#145 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:56 PM

FYI I went to the range to hit a few Driver shots with the modified stance. The first one was a push, second one was slightly right rough, then a series of down the middle draws. I have it! Well I thought I did until I played a few holes with Adriano and blocked a drive to the right rough. More repetition needed obviously.

#146 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:56 PM

Thanks xr,missus has the prob,she has had chronic back pain 9 yrs,failed surgery,she has ipg unit inside her for pain therapy,not much good imo.........now this......poor bugger doing it hard,...how did you get it dianosed?...thanks for your help and reply

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#147 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:39 AM

My diagnosis is not well defined. I have had tight lower back muscles from my job. Seated in ahead forward position for 40 years took its toll. Then I had a major motorcycle accident which badly fractured my right leg and a mild case of central chord syndrome. Post accident my right hip/ buttocks has never been the same leaving me with intermittent right leg weakness. I don't think there is a cure, just trying to get the muscles to lengthen is a balance of releasing trigger points and  follow up gentle stretching.

The JV swing really suits my lack of right side strength.

#148 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:54 PM

My diagnosis is not well defined. I have had tight lower back muscles from my job. Seated in ahead forward position for 40 years took its toll. Then I had a major motorcycle accident which badly fractured my right leg and a mild case of central chord syndrome. Post accident my right hip/ buttocks has never been the same leaving me with intermittent right leg weakness. I don't think there is a cure, just trying to get the muscles to lengthen is a balance of releasing trigger points and  follow up gentle stretching.

The JV swing really suits my lack of right side strength.

wow

so much, glad are able to play

• xrman1954 likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#149 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

I was lucky. The mate I was riding with the day of my accident in the Little Desert had a major crash and broke his neck. Sixth months later he "walked" out of hospital, but he will never be the same. He has central cord syndrome. 

I was lucky alright!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users