13 replies to this topic

#1 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3581 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:31 AM

if a championship round is disrupted due to rain delay,can play resume from same marked spots a week later........local amateur game

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#2 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2457 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:28 PM

if a championship round is disrupted due to rain delay,can play resume from same marked spots a week later........local amateur game

I don’t think that would be possible. The DSR could have changed which could favor some and disadvantage others.
  • seve_ likes this

#3 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3581 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

I don’t think that would be possible. The DSR could have changed which could favor some and disadvantage others.

i agree with that jack,but what do rules of golf stipulate?

Iam a LEARNER

#4 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

Rain delays/ course closures should be covered in the conditions of play (competition) rather than the rules.

I haven't come across any COP that would allow for returning a week later.

Brownman, I am having a crack at answering without reference (practice). I'm sure the rules fraternity will be along shortly.

#5 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1937 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

Isn't there something in the rules about the course conditions being the same. Can't mow mid round, water, etc .. if so, how does that work a week later? Even a couple of days later?

Edited by hack2489, 08 July 2019 - 02:15 PM.

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

First thing. Perry G is correct. The Committee should establish Terms of Competition that anticipate the problems that can occur with weather.

TERMS replaces Conditions in the new Rules jargon.

On the DSR subject the round has not been completed so there is no established DSR for the round.

Certainly the Course Conditions will be different when play is resumed. That is not unusual after any suspension of play. If it is rain causing the delay there would be wet sand in the bunkers, for example, on the same day.
With a field playing stroke the players will have good luck or bad luck when the weather changes. Some groups might be finished or well advanced in their Round. They might have had good or dreadful conditions prior to play suspension.
That’s golf life.

The decisions that face Committees running Championships can be difficult. Sometimes the Championship of 4 Rounds is shortened to 3 or even 2 Rounds but I have not heard of one down to only one Round.

Back to the key question. Can the Committee resume play a week later?

My view is yes it can. I don’t know the circumstances but I expect there would be a strong argument against that.

A lot can happen to people in a week. Some people maybe can’t arrange to be there.

There is a Section 6E Suspensions and Resumptions in the COMMITTEE PROCEDURES section of THE OFFICIAL GUIDE( the “big” book) page 434 to 437 in the hard copy.

Every Committee should be considering the information in this section. I am aware that some Committees don’t have a clue. It’s a sad situation.

#7 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

I don't see anything to stop a suspended round being resumed a week later.  There is nothing in the Rules to say how long a suspension can be.  It  is for the Committee to determine. In most circumstances, however, I imagine that it would be impractical.

The course conditions are often bound to be different when a suspended round is resumed.   For instance, ff the suspension was because of heavy rain flooding the place, the course has to be drier in order to be able to restart!  The Rules have nothing to say about mowing, watering, or any other such course maintenance matters.

There is the  possibility of cancelling rather than resuming play because conditions are so much better that it would be unfair on those who had completed their rounds in adverse conditions.  That's in Committee Procedures 6E:

A round should be cancelled only in a case where it would be very unfair not to cancel it. For example, a small number of players begin a round under extremely bad weather conditions, conditions subsequently worsen and further play that day is impossible, but when play will resume the next day the weather is ideal.

Edited by ColinCL, 08 July 2019 - 04:13 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and languid like this

#8 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

Would you have to leave the holes in place for the week until the round finished?

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#9 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3581 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

thank you for advice guys,much appreciated,is only a small club and smaller field,in my opinion,if all the players are  agreeing cant see much problem,in essence,even a week later,they are all playing in same conditions so all is good...but,hate to see in bigger club,could be fun n games

Iam a LEARNER

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Would you have to leave the holes in place for the week until the round finished?

There is no suggestion of that in 6E.
Holes in same position could be impractical anyway.
The greens would be at least subtly different. But it would be appropriate for The Committee to see the course setup was reasonably similar in concept.

#11 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:18 PM

As Colin says, there is no prohibition in the Rules.

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

We were called off the course 3 times last Saturday, twice for rain delays ( greens flooded and once for lightning ) in a matchplay event.

Lightning delay was for the danger inside 10 kms and rain delay was for 45 minutes and or when the greens recovered.

After the final delay we were given the chance to continue our match at a mutually convenient time, which was agreed to be, next Saturday.

Our match is halfway up the 6th hole and even though we both marked the positions of our balls, it will be by mutual agreement next week as to where the balls are replaced, as near as possible to re-commence our match !

Until you are actually in the position of having to stop or delay play it is arbitrary as to how the rules can and or should be applied, by the match committee and club pro !

Jon...  

#13 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:06 AM

Given the prevalence of mobiles it's probably easiest to take a picture of where the balls are lying. 

• Sprtan52 likes this

#14 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3307 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

Given the prevalence of mobiles it's probably easiest to take a picture of where the balls are lying. 

Given the appalling weather conditions and the fact that we'd been in and out of the clubhouse on three occasions over a two plus hour period, neither of us had the energy to tromp out to the furthest point on the course to take happy snaps !

Jon...  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users