16 replies to this topic

#1 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:18 PM

I have always had a very strong chipping technique, then I found this chipping drill.

Now after adding this technique I'm killing it. 

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Jack_Golfer and mrbluu like this

#2 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

Here is another training aid to help with detecting club throwaway.

#3 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:17 AM

I think this drill (with the stick) is problematic.

The video says that if you flip your hands, the stick will hit your side. I believe this to be true.

But the opposite, that if the stick hits your side you must have flipped your wrists is not necessarily true.

Rotating the left forearm yet with a perfectly flat and stable left wrist will also make the stick hit your side.

This might lead you to a wrong diagnosis.

There is a second issue, which is that an easy way to help avoid the stick hitting your side is to pivot the left side out of the way.

Depending on how you like to chip, this could create a real problem.

If your chipping really is the "hitting with the pivot" method, fine.

But if you wanted your chipping to be more of a small hit, pivoting out of the way will give you all sorts of panicky flips as you find the club moving towards the ball (due to the pivot) before you have actually made your hitting stroke.

Dave Pelz has a product called the "chip stick" that does this drill. I have one, and that is why I know about these other issues.

If you are a flipper, fine, it will definitely help. But if you are not a flipper, you might find this drill takes you down strange paths that are not necessarily beneficial.

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3171 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

For the guy that creates a lot of hands forward, shaft lean at address then this drill will help to shallow out their action. The hitting of their hip on the follow thru is a product of having to release their hands thru impact to get the clubhead back to the ball. Which will also make them hit down on the ball helping to create eithet the chunk and or the bouncy, bladed thin shot.
Jon...

#5 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2007 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

For the guy that creates a lot of hands forward, shaft lean at address then this drill will help to shallow out their action. The hitting of their hip on the follow thru is a product of having to release their hands thru impact to get the clubhead back to the ball. Which will also make them hit down on the ball helping to create eithet the chunk and or the bouncy, bladed thin shot.
Jon...

Maybe they should just putt from 90m out....

• GhettoGolfer and The Butler like this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#6 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

The big help in this drill is: were your hands start and Finnish 
have a look at the people you play with and others on the chipping green.

Count on one hand how many have there hands forward 

Or as the drill shows the stick would be poking the chipper in the guts not to the side 

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3171 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:15 PM

It was a pretty good option considering that there was absolutely no grass on the fairway and it was rock hard, like concrete :) 

I usually limit myself to no more than 50 out and it has to be the best option !

Jon...

#8 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9596 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

from 90 M it wouldn't be classed as a chip more a pitch.

from 90 m lots of options available, 

Smash a 60 deg as hard as can

chip with 7 iron for run

however from this distance most bogey golfers should consider to use Hybrid is a good way to chip, small swing needed, less room for error.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#9 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

The video says that if you flip your hands, the stick will hit your side. I believe this to be true.
But the opposite, that if the stick hits your side you must have flipped your wrists is not necessarily true.
Rotating the left forearm yet with a perfectly flat and stable left wrist will also make the stick hit your side.
There is a second issue, which is that an easy way to help avoid the stick hitting your side is to pivot the left side out of the way.
But if you wanted your chipping to be more of a small hit, pivoting out of the way will give you all sorts of panicky flips as you find the club moving towards the ball (due to the pivot) before you have actually made your hitting stroke.
Dave Pelz has a product called the "chip stick" that does this drill. I have one, and that is why I know about these other issues.
If you are a flipper, fine, it will definitely help. But if you are not a flipper, you might find this drill takes you down strange paths that are not necessarily beneficial.

Sometimes a flip release is required in short shots around the green. Tiger's standard lob shot around the greens was played with a flip release - the bounce of the wedge hitting the turf with the shaft very upright.
What is not mentioned in the video is the left wrist is flexed (flexed = forward) with the palm slanting upwards (supination). The right arm is corkscrewed downwards with clockwise rotation on both backswing and forward swing. This way the forward right elbow/arm powers the shot while the flexed/supinated left wrist controls the release.
Not a good idea to play this shot with a flat left wrist which is a border line flip or setting up on the leading edge of the clubface at address which could result in a dig. Best to set up on the bounce of the flange with the hands over the ball.
  • PuttOvr likes this

#10 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3536 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:24 AM

A Flop Shot Lesson With Phil Mickelson - YouTube

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#11 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3536 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

dev,if you put your left hand in a very strong position,it is very hard to flip imo,good if you suffer from chips yips,its my goto chip for chip  n run

• madness likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#12 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

A Flop Shot Lesson With Phil Mickelson - YouTube

I have the exact same club as Phil has in that video. Shame it doesn’t come with the same talent on the end of it 😖

#13 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3536 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

I have the exact same club as Phil has in that video. Shame it doesn’t come with the same talent on the end of it

notice the lead hand does not flip jack !

• Jack_Golfer likes this
Iam a LEARNER

#14 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

dev,if you put your left hand in a very strong position,it is very hard to flip imo,good if you suffer from chips yips,its my goto chip for chip  n run

Good point. I would add having the ball closer to the body helps get rid of the flip. Some people set up like their going to hit a full shot. 

• BROWNMAN and PuttOvr like this

#15 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Question.

Has anybody tried this drill?
Maybe some feedback could help somebody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users