67 replies to this topic

#1 Member Status Pending

Member Status Pending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

A player hits his ball into the long rough, then plays a provisional which goes in the same area. Does the player only get three minutes to look for both ball or 3 minutes for each ball? 

• iRON MiCK likes this

#2 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19959 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

concurrent

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:27 PM

You have 3 minutes Search time for your original ball. The fact that the Provisional ball was likely to be in the same area is irrelevant.
Think about the logic.
There would need to be a special, additional Rule written for that circumstance.
So if you happen to notice you PB when you are searching for original, nice, a bit of comfort.
The search is all about the original ball.
Then if not found you have search time for the PB.
That search starts after the first 3 minutes search has finished but not until you or your Caddie or partner get to the area where the PB might be.

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3214 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

A player hits his ball into the long rough, then plays a provisional which goes in the same area. Does the player only get three minutes to look for both ball or 3 minutes for each ball? 

If the balls are in the same area such that the search is effectively for either ball, then you only get 3 minutes. Otherwise you are allowed 3 minutes for each ball.

This was the answer given in a decision previously. I have no reason to believe the situation would have changed. But I may be wrong about that.

#5 WendyD

WendyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNewburgh, NY

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

I agree with AAA(and also admit I could be wrong). :)  I've searched through the Rules and the Interpretations but can't find a new version of the old 27/4. Logic tells me that there is a simultaneous search and a total of 3 minutes is allowed.

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

Obviously I had not heard of that. Decision.
Both balls may be difficult to find. There is the matter of the broadnesss of the being in an the same area.
What is the size of an area that qualifies for concurrent searching?

There are other concerns that relate to the players ability to assess whether both balls may have come to rest in “reasonable” proximity, whatever that might be.

The search time was 5 minutes.

I cau imagine at some time a “hard line” approach would lead to 27/4.

I think “hard line” is not the style of the ne Rules.

Considering this with 3 minutes search time I would be surprised to see 27/4 reborn in an Interpretation.

I would be very interested to read the justification should it do so.

Pace of play is not enough.

Maybe someone will ask one of the RB’s.

#7 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:02 AM

I think it is still there in the new rules but I'm just going out to stand in bucketing rain to support my grandson who is playing in a Primary Schools cup final.  Oh joy.

Edit:  Just had time to check the first likelhiood - the Definitions.

Interpretation Lost/4 - Search Time When Searching for Two Balls

Edited by ColinCL, 13 June 2019 - 03:04 AM.

• WendyD likes this

#8 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1815 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

... I'm just going out to stand in bucketing rain to support my grandson who is playing in a Primary Schools cup final.  Oh joy.

At 3am :o

#9 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1815 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

A player hits his ball into the long rough, then plays a provisional which goes in the same area ...

Sounds like a consistent swing flaw. Perhaps a golf lesson is the solution?

• Birdie Blitz likes this

#10 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14693 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

At 3am :o

He's in Scotland Hack,  so probably about lunch time over there.

• hack2489 likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#11 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1815 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

He's in Scotland Hack,  so probably about lunch time over there.

Well, that explains the 'bucketing down with rain' too. ;)

#12 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:27 PM

It makes no sense for the search time to be concurrent. One can never be certain if the balls are in close proximity, at least, not until they are found. You can not have a rule based upon undefined parameters.
  • languid likes this

#13 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

The football was at 1900 UK time.  His team won; he scored the winning goal; he was polite to the referee; my wallet is lighter.

Back to the golf.

Your search for a ball is in the area you think it most likely to be.  If the area you think both balls are likely to be is the same, you have the same chance of finding either of them which means you are searching for both at the same time. If you found neither after 3 minutes and were then allowed a further 3 minutes to search the same area for your provisional you would effectively be being allowed 6 minutes for the search for it.

In case you haven't found the Interpretation i referred to, some of the Definitions include Interpretations.  This is the full text of Interpretation Lost/4 - Search Time When Searching for Two Balls.

When a player has played two balls (such as the ball in play and a provisional ball) and is searching for both, whether the player is allowed two separate three-minute search times depends how close the balls are to each other. 

If the balls are in the same area where they can be searched for at the same time, the player is allowed only three minutes to search for both balls. However, if the balls are in different areas (such as opposite sides of the fairway) the player is allowed a three-minute search time for each ball.

Edited by ColinCL, 13 June 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#14 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2425 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

The football was at 1900 UK time. His team won; he scored the winning goal; he was polite to the referee; my wallet is lighter.

Back to the golf.

Your search for a ball is in the area you think it most likely to be. If the area you think both balls are likely to be is the same, you have the same chance of finding either of them which means you are searching for both at the same time. If you found neither after 3 minutes and were then allowed a further 3 minutes to search the same area for your provisional you would effectively be being allowed 6 minutes for the search for it.

In case you haven't found the Interpretation i referred to, some of the Definitions include Interpretations. This is the full text of Interpretation Lost/4 - Search Time When Searching for Two Balls.

When a player has played two balls (such as the ball [/size]in play[/size] and a [/size]provisional ball[/size]) and is searching for both, whether the player is allowed two separate three-minute search times depends how close the balls are to each other. [/size]
If the balls are in the same area where they can be searched for at the same time, the player is allowed only three minutes to search for both balls. However, if the balls are in different areas (such as opposite sides of the fairway) the player is allowed a three-minute search time for each ball.

That makes no sense to me at all. What defines “the same area”? Is it 10 sq m? Is it 20 sq m?, is it 50sq m? If you think they are in the same area and you give up after 3 minutes but then you find the ball outside the undefined area, is it now a found or still a lost ball?

This rule has so many flaws, I can’t see how it can be used in a practical way.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 13 June 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#15 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

In effect you define the area by your search since where you search is rather obviously where you think your ball is likely to be.   And if you think your provisional is in the same area you are clearly looking out for both balls as you search.  I'm not quite seeing your difficulty with this.

Your ball is lost 3 minutes after you or your caddie begins to search for it.  It doesn't matter where you find it after time is up, it remains lost.

Edited by ColinCL, 13 June 2019 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users