38 replies to this topic

#1 tkkgale

tkkgale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

Getting the 3 wood out of the bag cos it's so frustrating - I just can't get the ball up in the air.

I'm looking to put in a 5 wood instead for to help with fairway shots that actually fly a bit....

I'm looking at a higher launching option and something that suits a mid/high handicap.

Looking at:

Taylormade M4

Cleveland Launcher

Cobra F Max

Anybody got opinions or reviews on these?

Cheers

#2 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

It does depend on how your swing reacts with the club/shaft combo. All things remaining equal, the Ping woods rate quite highly for getting the ball up in the air. With Ping releasing the new 410 model range into the market, the superseeded 400 models should be cheaper.

As a side note, hitting a 3w off the deck is probably the hardest club to hit well. Not many can do it consistently.

Edited by FairwayBomber, 06 June 2019 - 02:03 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and tkkgale like this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:04 AM

The current Titleist 917F 21 degree 5 wood is hard to go past. Looks fabulous, sits on the ground really well and goes hard. Easy to work, shape and flight. Plenty of good mid to mid/high launching shafts to choose from in the stock shafts section too. Not a bargain but might have come down in price now as it's been on the shelves for a year or so already.
Jon...
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#4 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

The current Titleist 917F 21 degree 5 wood is hard to go past. Looks fabulous, sits on the ground really well and goes hard. Easy to work, shape and flight. Plenty of good mid to mid/high launching shafts to choose from in the stock shafts section too. Not a bargain but might have come down in price now as it's been on the shelves for a year or so already.
Jon...

21* is a 7 wood. 18* is a 5 wood.

#5 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

Have a look at keeping a 3w shaft with a 5w head or loft on it. Ive done this and is a nice improvement on getting the ball up in the air but generating the same swing speed as the 3w. Velocity helps the ball get up too...

• Turfers Paradise likes this

#6 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14865 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:28 PM

Are you wearing a hard hat??? :lol:

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3713 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:55 PM

From the Golf Smith handbook circa 1996 ( one of the bibles of club making )

Traditional                  Average

3 wood - 16*                   15*

4 wood - 19*                   18*

5 wood - 22*                   21*

6 wood - 25*                   23*

7 wood - 28*                   25*

The number on the bottom doesn't accurately indicate the lofts from the current OEM :)

Jon...  

#8 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

I recently purchase a F9 speedback 3-4 wood. Even though I am not blessed with a fast swing speed, I am getting the ball to fly well off the deck. Distance and accuracy are good. I have it set at 16 degrees.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#9 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3329 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

I went the 16.5 degree titleist fairway wood option as it is a bit easier to hit than a traditional 3 wood but I think gives me the option of the ease of a 5 wood to hit and nearly the length of a 3 wood but you might have to demo a couple clubs to find what works best for you.

#10 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

The current Titleist 917F 21 degree 5 wood is hard to go past. Looks fabulous, sits on the ground really well and goes hard. Easy to work, shape and flight. Plenty of good mid to mid/high launching shafts to choose from in the stock shafts section too. Not a bargain but might have come down in price now as it's been on the shelves for a year or so already.Jon...

Has the same loft as a 3-iron? 5-woods must be getting weaker lofts. Ten years ago 19 degrees was the standard 5-wood loft.

#11 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

I have a 915F that is 21° and it is labelled as a 7 wood.

#12 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20094 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Getting the 3 wood out of the bag cos it's so frustrating - I just can't get the ball up in the air.

I'm looking to put in a 5 wood instead for to help with fairway shots that actually fly a bit....

I'm looking at a higher launching option and something that suits a mid/high handicap.

Looking at:

Taylormade M4

Cleveland Launcher

Cobra F Max

Cheers

Out of those choices, I'd opt for the M4 .... last of the 3.

In a 5W you really want a low profile, and a deep body, in order to get the centre of gravity low and back from the clubface as far as you can, This is what helps with ease in launching the ball.

So, a low and wide face, and a long body from front to back.

I'd check out the Ping 400, as it sits nice with a low profile face, and its deep from front to back.

If you use those two principles as a guide, you'll find a few choices that fit the bill better than the others. (The Ping is but one example)

Just my thoughts …. 

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 07 June 2019 - 09:29 PM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#13 ZigZag

ZigZag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

... the Ping woods rate quite highly for getting the ball up in the air. With Ping releasing the new 410 model range into the market, the superseeded 400 models should be cheaper.

I have a Ping G400 5W 17.5*, it's my favourite club. A real 'grip it 'n rip it' club that I find so easy to hit consistently well. I have no problem launching the ball and I even prefer hitting it without a tee off the tee box.They seem to have become quite scarce after being run-out at $299.

My son uses a Srixon Z355 4W 17* and smacks it a long way - it has quite a heavy D4 swing weight with a pretty decent shaft . The Z355 5W is good value at $129

https://www.golfclea...55-fairway.html

Edited by ZigZag, 08 June 2019 - 05:17 PM.

" The difference in golf and government is that in golf you cannot improve your lie "

#14 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9837 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Looking at:

Taylormade M4

Cleveland Launcher

Cobra F Max

Cheers

There a number of reasons you cannot hit your 3 wood. correctly and one of them is probably not the club itself.

A lesson or 2 from a pro (outlay approx $200) would help  help you understand why your swing is not presenting the club face at the correct angle to the ball to get a 3w (or a 5w) off the ground.

Edited by Can Break 80, 12 June 2019 - 07:31 AM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#15 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

There a number of reasons you cannot hit your 3 wood. correctly and one of them is probably not the club itself.

A lesson or 2 from a pro (outlay approx $200) would help help you understand why your swing is not presenting the club face at the correct angle to the ball to get a 3w (or a 5w) off the ground.

I agree. If he can't see a pro then check that the lumber spine is not tilting towards the target during the backswing. This is a major fault (except with long bunker shots and some shots from deep rough.
This fault comes from a reluctance to turn away from the ball and wanting to see too much of it. It's not going anywhere so there is no need to panic if the focus view changes. The important thing is to keep the left side of the face to the right of the ball and swing around the spine. The head moves when the right shoulder contacts the chin during the follow-through.

Edited by Old Poppy, 12 June 2019 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users