• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16513 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

OK  open the voting lines - which ISG Member has the smallest brain?

Golf is fun. You get to be outside. You get to test yourself. You get to try things in a beautiful setting in the company of your friends. But for every thrill of a holed birdie putt or crushed drive is the pain of a sliced shot out of bounds or yipped bogey putt. Because as all golfers know, while golf is fun most of the time, sometimes this game we all love is really, really annoying. That’s when a strong mental game comes into play.

But if you’re thinking about complaining because of it, think again.

That’s according to CNBC’s Make It blog, which unearthed a 1992 Stamford study that shows the detrimental affects complaining:

Complaining, or even being complained to, for 30 minutes or more can physically damage the brain.

Researchers used high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans and found “links between long-term stressful life experiences, long-term exposure to hormones produced during stress, and shrinking of the hippocampus,” the study’s authors wrote. (The hippocampus is the region of the brain involved in the formation of new memories and is also associated with learning and emotions.)

https://www.golf.com...plain-on-course

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39879 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

I think last Saturday's round nuked at least 50% of whatever functioning brain cells I have left.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and FairwayBomber like this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#3 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

Well I am confused by the question? What does 'small brain' mean? Somebody who only uses a small part of their brain, or something else?

#4 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1116 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

Well I am confused by the question? What does 'small brain' mean? Somebody who only uses a small part of their brain, or something else?

In this case it actually means small brain. Prolonged exposure to Glucocorticoids (hormone released at times of stress) can cause the dendrites (bits that connect all the brain cells together to carry messages) to shrivel. This would effect memory and recall. Interestingly small amounts of glucocorticoids, so small amount of stress, actually have the opposite effect and enhance brain function.

Good news that even chronic stress which occurs in adult life can be reversed after a couple of weeks away from golf (or the stress in life). Unfortunately in adolescents it is not as reversible and may cause permanent damage, therefore I'm rethinking involving my kids in golf until they are older.   

Edited by Birdie Blitz, 09 May 2019 - 12:14 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Old Poppy like this

#5 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

In this case it actually means small brain. Prolonged exposure to Glucocorticoids (hormone released at times of stress) can cause the dendrites (bits that connect all the brain cells together to carry messages) to shrivel. This would effect memory and recall. Interestingly small amounts of glucocorticoids, so small amount of stress, actually have the opposite effect and enhance brain function.

Good news that even chronic stress which occurs in adult life can be reversed after a couple of weeks away from golf (or the stress in life). Unfortunately in adolescents it is not as reversible and may cause permanent damage, therefore I'm rethinking involving my kids in golf until they are older.

Thanks. Many of my golfing mates enjoy a steady supply of beer during a round. In fact the game was created by drunks and gamblers. It is a cruel stupid, stressful game that can lead to small brain. Glad my kids played other sports.☺
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and Birdie Blitz like this

#6 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Golf is fun. You get to be outside. You get to test yourself. You get to try things in a beautiful setting in the company of your friends. But for every thrill of a holed birdie putt or crushed drive is the pain of a sliced shot out of bounds or yipped bogey putt. Because as all golfers know, while golf is fun most of the time, sometimes this game we all love is really, really annoying. That’s when a strong mental game comes into play.

That’s according to CNBC’s Make It blog, which unearthed a 1992 Stamford study that shows the detrimental affects complaining:

Complaining, or even being complained to, for 30 minutes or more can physically damage the brain.

Researchers used high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans and found “links between long-term stressful life experiences, long-term exposure to hormones produced during stress, and shrinking of the hippocampus,” the study’s authors wrote. (The hippocampus is the region of the brain involved in the formation of new memories and is also associated with learning and emotions.)

That's too much reading for me. I'll wait for the movie to come out!  :)

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25346 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

Golf.  You hit some good shots and some bad shots.

Put enough good shots together and you have a good score on that hole.

Put enough good holes together and you have a good round.

But even the world's best have some bad shots, a lot fewer than us mere mortals, admittedly.

Why should any one get stressed about a few bad shots?  It's going to happen, if not today, then next time.  A day of fewer than usual bad shots will also happen, if not today then maybe next time.  Getting upset or stressed about inevitabilities is pointless.

As for the kids, they must learn to tolerate failure.  There will always be some failures during life, just try to minimise them and minimise the effects.  If kids do not learn to accept some failures, they will have miserable lives.  Throwing a tantrum during a pastime just shows immaturity.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#8 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14865 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

Thanks. Many of my golfing mates enjoy a steady supply of beer during a round. In fact the game was created by drunks and gamblers. It is a cruel stupid, stressful game that can lead to small brain. Glad my kids played other sports.☺

You have some very good mates.  I do appreciate that side of my ancestry.

#9 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14865 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Golf.  You hit some good shots and some bad shots.

Put enough good shots together and you have a good score on that hole.

Put enough good holes together and you have a good round.

But even the world's best have some bad shots, a lot fewer than us mere mortals, admittedly.

Why should any one get stressed about a few bad shots?  It's going to happen, if not today, then next time.  A day of fewer than usual bad shots will also happen, if not today then maybe next time.  Getting upset or stressed about inevitabilities is pointless.

As for the kids, they must learn to tolerate failure.  There will always be some failures during life, just try to minimise them and minimise the effects.  If kids do not learn to accept some failures, they will have miserable lives.  Throwing a tantrum during a pastime just shows immaturity.

Dr Phil is in the house.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#10 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Barely functioning proof here.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Weetbix like this

#11 parcyloh

parcyloh

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

Didn't need a stanford study to find this out , they could of just asked my missus , I play golf , am married and have kids - I spend my waking hours complaining - probably explains a lot - not that I'm complaining

• HitNhope likes this

#12 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

See, I do wonder about cause and effect... Is brain shrinkage due to golf, or was brain shrunk and therefore golf was taken up?

Complaining effect could be purely anecdotal.

Edited by hack2489, 12 May 2019 - 09:06 PM.

• madness likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users