73 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

Golf Australia has just announced the person appointed to the new role of "participation officer for inclusion". 

https://www.golf.org...d-market/103556

Edited by GeoffDickson, 09 May 2019 - 07:52 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

Golf Australia has just announced the person appointed to the new role of "participation officer for inclusion". 

https://www.golf.org...d-market/103556

We are starting to see some good initiatives coming out from Golf Australia for growing the game. Always been too much focus on elite players,

• OldBogey likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5906 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

We are starting to see some good initiatives coming out from Golf Australia for growing the game. Always been too much focus on elite players,

My understanding of why the Australian Golf Union was established in 1890's was to run our National Open Championship and to manage our national golf teams. The AGU was superceded by Golf Australia. The development of elite players is an important function of GA and involves substantial Government grant funding. The success of these elite player programmes ensures future government funding.

#4 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

My understanding of why the Australian Golf Union was established in 1890's was to run our National Open Championship and to manage our national golf teams. The AGU was superceded by Golf Australia. The development of elite players is an important function of GA and involves substantial Government grant funding. The success of these elite player programmes ensures future government funding.

Wow 1898 was a long time ago  a few things have changed since then?;)  AGU became GA in 2006 13 years ago

Yes funding for elite golf is a key part of things, but grass roots is where new golfers are created to then become "elite". 

Golf has had an "elitist problem/image perception" for a long time, and its great to now see wholesale culture changes to a more inclusive, and a better representation of the communities and general society that are around the golf facilities. This appointment as well as Chyloe Kurdas are huge steps forward. Much of it funded by the R&A I believe?

• Tonk likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#5 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25043 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

The more general members there are, the more they can be reamed for funds to promote the elite players and their hangers on.

• madness likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#6 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

Wow 1898 was a long time ago  a few things have changed since then? ;)  AGU became GA in 2006 13 years ago

Yes funding for elite golf is a key part of things, but grass roots is where new golfers are created to then become "elite". 

Golf has had an "elitist problem/image perception" for a long time, and its great to now see wholesale culture changes to a more inclusive, and a better representation of the communities and general society that are around the golf facilities. This appointment as well as Chyloe Kurdas are huge steps forward. Much of it funded by the R&A I believe?

Mads, you are in this "space", hard to find a GA balance sheet.

As an older player, I see my fees going to punters who want to build a corporate structure and then justify piss taking.

Maybe I'm wrong and certainly GA is only one of plenty.

#7 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

As an older player, I see my fees going to punters who want to build a corporate structure and then justify piss taking.

Could be worst at least your state didn't sell out to one golf.

#8 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14635 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:41 PM

If it's "Golf Australia" why is each state different in set up???

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Schmuck and Sprtan52 like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#9 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

Could be worst at least your state didn't sell out to one golf.

How is it a "sell out"?

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#10 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

If it's "Golf Australia" why is each state different in set up???

Same as why "Australia" is Australia.

Its like a typical government structure  Federal and states and (local districts)  but now all states under One Golf exc.  WA and NSW.

• Commish likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#11 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

GA I think is heading in right direction from what I see with One Golf. Same issues when men and women associations finally agreed to merge?

Im sure some internal politics still at play here and there but the growth aspect ie inclusive, women's, juniors as well as Club Support are all on good trajectory.  Slow process but starting to see the benefits now.

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#12 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15919 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

I choose not to identify
  • Bluethunda likes this

18.4 by June  2019  - 1.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

#13 Brendan Sokaluk

Brendan Sokaluk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

Great idea. 

Unfortunately it will end in tears. These poor people won't be 'welcomed' at golf clubs, they'll cop the same disgusting racism as when they first arrived.

Members at your typical golf club in the suburbs are 60+ and not as woke as this fool Chyloe Kurdas. When they see a Sudanese person, those dinosaurs see an Apex Gang member, not a fellow golfer. You can't change that by appointing inclusion officers, the golfing demographic is too old and too set in their ways. 

As usual, we'll be the ones left with the bill once Kurdas and co with their underdone ideas shoot through.

#14 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

Great idea.

Unfortunately it will end in tears. These poor people won't be 'welcomed' at golf clubs, they'll cop the same disgusting racism as when they first arrived.

Members at your typical golf club in the suburbs are 60+ and not as woke as this fool Chyloe Kurdas. When they see a Sudanese person, those dinosaurs see an Apex Gang member, not a fellow golfer. You can't change that by appointing inclusion officers, the golfing demographic is too old and too set in their ways.

As usual, we'll be the ones left with the bill once Kurdas and co with their underdone ideas shoot through.

wow such a positive first time post!

Are you one of those 60+ people by chance?

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#15 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14635 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

Great idea. 

Don't know where you play bud, but from what I have seen... the golf course is one of the least racist places.  Well in Australia that is.

• Parmachine likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users