71 replies to this topic

#61 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

Doesn't matter what we think, the fact is Brooks won by two shots over the best field played on a brutal golf course. The fourth round was always going to be a real test for him as it is for any player who leads by several shots, especially against the best players on the planet in windy conditions. Awesome effort to own back to back US Opens and US PGA's.
  • chevychase, CaNadiAn MiCk, Turfers Paradise and 3 others like this

#62 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

My point was that when Tiger was in his prime, longer than everyone else and playing the style Books is now, he was also winning British Opens on firm, windy courses.
Will be interesting to see if Brooks can do the same.
He’s awesome to watch though, I think he’s great for the game
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and madness like this

#63 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

When I watch Koepka I don't feel like I'm watching an exceptionally talented golfer. He's not really elite at anything in particular. But I love his attitude. He's not thinking about what's going to go wrong or getting nervous. He's just there to play golf and win.

Wow, he is the number 1 golfer in the world, who exactly is talented?

#64 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:04 PM

Wow, he is the number 1 golfer in the world, who exactly is talented?

They are all talented. But exceptionally talented? Watching Speith win the Aus Open followed by the Masters was some of the best putting I've ever seen. Craig Parry and Gary Player looked like they were going to hole every chip shot or bunker shot they looked at. Norman never seemed to miss a fairway. Young Tiger and young Nicklaus were playing a different par to everyone else. Brooks does a lot of things well but nothing stands out when I watch him play except his attitude. I love his no fuss style. Golfers and tennis players are way too precious and it's great to see someone play with all the noise.

#65 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

They are all talented. But exceptionally talented? Watching Speith win the Aus Open followed by the Masters was some of the best putting I've ever seen. Craig Parry and Gary Player looked like they were going to hole every chip shot or bunker shot they looked at. Norman never seemed to miss a fairway. Young Tiger and young Nicklaus were playing a different par to everyone else. Brooks does a lot of things well but nothing stands out when I watch him play except his attitude. I love his no fuss style. Golfers and tennis players are way too precious and it's great to see someone play with all the noise.

The only thing that stands out to me are his 330 yard drives to the middle of the fairway. He’s also a pretty clutch putter, and he has a fairly sharp short game.
  • Weetbix, Shanks4ever and Goldy like this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2 iron: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Mizuno MPH-4 + .5”, 2* upright, Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52*, 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: Titleist Pro V1

#66 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3168 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:12 AM

Koepka was first in GIR , 10th in scrambling, and 1st in strokes gained tee to green. He doesn't need to putt and scramble  like Speith and if he remains motivated his career will likely surpass his by some margin. 

I think that makes him exceptionally talented during the PGA. He didn't even drive the ball straight during the PGA.

I think he has no weaknesses and probably has the best all round game on tour. He is also has a great ability to absorb the pressure of majors and accept the setbacks that come during these tournaments. He also is probably better prepared physically than most.

• chevychase likes this

#67 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Will be interesting to see if Koepka can win a British Open.
It will probably need to be relatively wet conditions without much wind.
Probably the most awesome thing about Tiger (and Jack before him) was the multiple wins in the British, some of those in bone dry, windy conditions

His major wins have been in all conditions, firm and fast, windy at the last years US Open from memory. The wind doesnt seem to be an issue for him or firm and fast courses. 

#68 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Koepka was first in GIR , 10th in scrambling, and 1st in strokes gained tee to green. He doesn't need to putt and scramble  like Speith and if he remains motivated his career will likely surpass his by some margin. 

I think that makes him exceptionally talented during the PGA. He didn't even drive the ball straight during the PGA.

I think he has no weaknesses and probably has the best all round game on tour. He is also has a great ability to absorb the pressure of majors and accept the setbacks that come during these tournaments. He also is probably better prepared physically than most.

This is my point.

#69 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

What would an Average Joe shoot in tournament conditions at Bethpage Black? Pros say it wouldn’t be pretty

The general consensus of the pros they spoke with is that an average hacker has absolutely ZERO chance of breaking 100, or even 120. Sound crazy? Let’s break it down.

https://www.golf.com...bethpage-black/

I think from memory the scratch rating for the black course was up around 77, so 6 strokes harder than the regular par 71 it plays at.

Considering the course changes to a par 70 for tour events and is then set up even harder than usual I think it's a fair assessment that most aren't breaking 100 in the conditions we just saw it at..

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

| GolfLink 

#70 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16304 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

I think from memory the scratch rating for the black course was up around 77, so 6 strokes harder than the regular par 71 it plays at.

Considering the course changes to a par 70 for tour events and is then set up even harder than usual I think it's a fair assessment that most aren't breaking 100 in the conditions we just saw it at..

Most of us wouldnt be able to handle the length of rough, to get a ball to move forward etc.

It would be fun to give it a go someday!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#71 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16304 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

I played Riviera GC back in '95 a week or so before the PGA Champs there. I was playing some of my best golf at the time, and we didnt play from tips. I was lucky with I think an 80 or 82,  The rough was so long and fairway very narrow (more than when they play LA Open or whatever its called now)

Couldnt hit more than a 8 iron to get a ball airborne out of that stuff!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#72 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Tillinghast has an impressive resume of world class courses in his design portfolio. I thought BB was one of his more interesting tracks with dog-legs and blind second shots galore; not to mention the bunkering and the rough. Probably why the greens aren’t as undulating as others - you’ve already been belted up by the time you get to the green!
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2 iron: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Mizuno MPH-4 + .5”, 2* upright, Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52*, 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tiger woods, brooks koepka, francesco molinari

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users