#1 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

One of the shots that I have the most difficulty with is the approach shot around the green. I find it really difficult to gauge distance and accuracy is often lacking. No matter how much I practice, there just isn’t any improvement. Thinking about what could be the reason for the lack of improvement, it occurred to me that there could be a dominance issue going on. I am naturally a right hand dominant person but I am trying to play golf with the left side as the primary power source. The result is that my subconscious brain doesn’t know how to manage the resulting conflict.

I experienced the importance of establishing a dominant side many years ago, when I was involved in a study of children with severe learning difficulties. The children in the study had not established left or right sided dominance. The impact on their learning ability was devastating. After a undergoing a targeted program to establish a right or left side dominance, the improvement in learning and self confidence was dramatic.

Hence, the idea came to me that I may need to program my brain to work with a left sided dominance for playing golf shots.

So, with this idea in mind I tried practicing my chipping and pitching to a target on my front lawn, making sure to focus on left side dominance and making the right more subservient. Surprise, surprise, I was able to judge distance much more reliably and accuracy also improved.

It’s early days but I was taken by the difference this approach made in such a short time. There is a bit more detail as to how to do this but I will leave that to a later time, after I have had a chance to give this concept a good stress test under pressure. After all, that is the only way to acid test any golf swing.
  • Weetbix, iRON MiCK and Devongolfer like this

#2 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:05 PM

Today was the first chance I had to test my dominance theory under pressure. I played in an inter club four ball match play event and there were a number of occasions where I was faced with a short pitch or chip shot to the hole. The results were mixed, some ok and some not the best but there was a shot at the 14th green that completely failed me. I had hit my approach shot thru the green was faced with about a 10m shot back to the hole. I felt confident that I could do this shot, I had been doing it during my practice, many times over. It was at the point of transition my subconscious brain lost it and suddenly resorted to a right hand dominance instead of the left. Consequently I topped the ball and it flew over the green. Not what I was hoping for.

I guess it’s a little to soon to make any real evaluation on this dominance issue and may be I am being a little over optimistic expecting perfection at the first real test. I have several more match play events over the coming weeks and I will report how I go after each event.

As a matter of interest, we won the event 4 and 3.
  • Devongolfer likes this

#3 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19946 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

Jack, would this dominance be easier to achieve, depending on whether you were a hitter, or a swinger?

• BROWNMAN likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#4 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

Jack, would this dominance be easier to achieve, depending on whether you were a hitter, or a swinger?

I don’t think it matters GPJ, it’s really just a mental thing, particularly the subconscious memory. I have a way to go with this and I have a few strategies in mind to reprogram the brain. I know it can be done, it just takes time and effort. I used this method very successfully in the past to manage my weight loss.

#5 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

switter

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25023 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

I don’t think it matters GPJ, it’s really just a mental thing, particularly the subconscious memory. I have a way to go with this and I have a few strategies in mind to reprogram the brain. I know it can be done, it just takes time and effort. I used this method very successfully in the past to manage my weight loss.

So, feeding your face with your right hand and you put on weight, but using your left hand and you lose some, or vice versa?

If only.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#7 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

So, feeding your face with your right hand and you put on weight, but using your left hand and you lose some, or vice versa?
If only.

Very droll.

#8 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5894 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:58 PM

Jack
I have a book in my library, which is available on Kindle.
"Left hand in the golf swing ....A revised look at golf .. Cross Training and drills. " by R D Hill.
  • Jack_Golfer likes this

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25023 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

So, how do you engineer left/right side dominance to aid weight loss?
Serious question.
  • madness likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#10 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:03 PM

Serious question.

Trying to eat with chopsticks using only my left hand! I might starve to death.  :o

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25023 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Trying to eat with chopsticks using only my left hand! I might starve to death.  :o

Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • madness likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3104 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

Serious question.

Rotational force required in any two handed exercise.
Jon...

#13 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

Serious question.

You don’t. I was referring to a technique that I have used to program my subconscious brain in away that enabled me to achieve a target weight. I will elaborate in another post.
  • madness likes this

#14 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:29 PM

Jack
I have a book in my library, which is available on Kindle.
"Left hand in the golf swing ....A revised look at golf .. Cross Training and drills. " by R D Hill.

Thanks OP, I will have a look for that.

#15 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

Just so readers can understand where I am going with this dominance issue, I will explain, very briefly, the method I am using to program my subconscious memory, to be able to swing my golf club with a dominant left arm.

My method is based on commonly used meditation techniques, where one uses a reflective place in the mind, where you can be completely relaxed and at peace with yourself. This is a place that you visualize in your mind and it can be a place that you know of or have been to or just an imaginary place that you make up for yourself. Once you are there in your mind, you think about the action or task that you want to achieve, by visualizing you doing that action. As you do the action, you must then follow that action with an emotional kicker. The emotion must be one of an experience or desired experience that gives you great emotional joy and sense of achievement. Something like holing out on the last hole to win a club competition, or something entirely different. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as you get an emotional high, every time that you think about it. It is this emotional kicker that is the key to enforcing the action in your subconscious memory, by association.

It takes a lot of practice with heaps of repetition. At first it is rather laborious and takes a fair amount of time to do but with practice, you can do the visualizing at will and in a matter of seconds.

There is a book that I had on this subject but I have misplaced it and unfortunately I cannot find it. I am sure there will be others around if anyone would like to pursue this further.

Happy to answer questions.
Jack
  • iRON MiCK and madness like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users