6 replies to this topic

#1 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

See whether you can spot the error in what Ogilvy writes.

https://www.golfaust...es-broth-523648

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

" you can’t bend your knees - "

#3 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

I've just sent a comment to him

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:14 PM

I just had a quick look. There is at least one more.
If you accidentally move your ball during a search in the general area. You are not required to recreate the original lie such as placing a moved leaf back where it was “hiding” the ball. You place the ball on the spot or estimated spot.
I also don’t buy that a Caddie is necessarily actually searching by being in a particular area. Was he actually looking?
I also think he has little idea on what was happening in the typical Club Competition with the 5 minute search time.
His personal experience with Club mugs would be in a round in a Pro Am. Not really typical.
Years ago different even then with more skilled players at Victoria Golf Club.
I like him he is a good thinker. So my criticism is limited to a bit of the quoted material.

#5 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

Rule 7.4 explains recreating the lie with sand. And replacing the ball under an integral object ...
Loose impediments not required to be replaced.
I like the change...does away with dropping and players hanging back from searching for their ball with a lot of loose impediments probably obscuring the ball.
The risk being one stroke penalty to the player if he/she or Caddie accidentally moved their ball.

#6 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

I thought I would check interpretations on the loose impediments aspect of moving a ball during a search.
It is there as Interpretation 7.4/1.
There is quite a lot of good additional information in the Interpretation.
Maybe someone will provide a link. I am on iPad and don’t know how to copy links using a finger.
I have another point to make.
I am disappointed that Rule 7.4 in both Player’s Edition and Rules of golf does not explain the loose impediments exception to “recreating” the lie in ball replacement after accidentally moving during a search.
Loose impediments being involved is likely to be more common than the other cases.

#7 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:57 AM

7.4/1
Estimating Original Spot on Which to Replace Ball Moved During Search

When a player's ball is accidentally moved during a search and its original spot where it must be replaced must be estimated, the player should consider all reasonably available evidence about where the ball was located before it was moved.

For example, when estimating a ball's original spot, the player should consider:

• How the ball was found (for example, whether it was stepped on, kicked or moved with a probing club or hand),
  • If it was visible or not, and
  • Its location relative to the ground and any growing objects, such as whether it was lying against or under the grass and how deep in the grass it was located.

In replacing the ball, the player is not required to replace loose impediments (such as leaves) that may have been moved since loose impediments are not part of the lie and, in many cases, it would be nearly impossible to reconstruct the original situation if loose impediments were required to be replaced.

For example, while searching for a ball that is covered by leaves in a penalty area, the player kicks the ball and moves the leaves that were close to the ball. Although the ball must be replaced on its original or estimated spot, the leaves do not need to be put back in their original position even when the ball would certainly have been lying under the leaves.

Edited by AAA, 25 April 2019 - 04:01 AM.

• languid likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users