More distance and just as accurate.

#17 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

The above data is probably accurate. It is a pity that they didn't go a bit further and see if high handicappers can hit a 5 wood better than a 3 wood. It is a pity that many of us don't have access to a comprehensive club fitting service for our Drivers ( see TXG on You Tube for what it should look like)

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#18 rapidcat

rapidcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:31 PM

The above data is probably accurate. It is a pity that they didn't go a bit further and see if high handicappers can hit a 5 wood better than a 3 wood. It is a pity that many of us don't have access to a comprehensive club fitting service for our Drivers ( see TXG on You Tube for what it should look like)

It's Shotscope data, collected automatically from their products, not a club test. You can expect a bunch of golfers using drivers and 3 woods on par 4 and 5 tee boxes. Not many will be hitting 5 woods so you can understand no 5 wood data published by Shotscope.

However, there's a few tests from TXG and others of 3 vs 5 woods from fairway lies (not tees) - you mention TXG in your post so you may have seen one on their You Tube channel. For the 'average' golfer, their swing speed of around 93mph means their 5 woods carry further than say a 15 degree 3 wood. It's why we now see these 'High launch' 3 woods at 16.5 degrees adjustable which are basically 4 wood heads in a 3 wood shaft length.

Off the fairway, you need c.100mph+ swing speed to make a 15 degree 3 wood work, at least according to the tests I have seen.

• xrman1954 likes this

#19 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:40 PM

That would explain why I don't get a lot of height in my 4 wood (16 degree ? maybe not according to Jon) with my 95 mph swing. The occasional one I contact well gets up and out there, but it  has to be sitting up begging to be hit on a soft lie.

Edited by xrman1954, 07 January 2020 - 05:41 PM.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#20 rapidcat

rapidcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:03 AM

That would explain why I don't get a lot of height in my 4 wood (16 degree ? maybe not according to Jon) with my 95 mph swing. The occasional one I contact well gets up and out there, but it  has to be sitting up begging to be hit on a soft lie.

Yes, good chance. I'd try 18 or 19 degrees in a 4 or 5 wood head with a 3 wood shaft length. Lie will be a little more upright than a 3 wood head so it will encourage a left ball path or draw.

I did some experimenting with this and for awhile was hitting a Srixon 5 wood at 18 degrees with a really strong 3 wood shaft (my swing speed is upto 105mph) and was getting close to my normal 15 degree 3 wood in carry (3 wood much more run though) with a really high ball flight.

Give some experimentation a go, good chance you'll get some improvement, you'll probably hit it the same total distance as your 3 wood but with more carry. Good luck.

#21 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:11 AM

I think I was lucky when I found a Cobra Fly Z 5 wood with a seniors flex shaft. it was cheap for a new club, so I bought it sight unseen. The kick point of the shaft must suit me, because I am getting higher flight with same distance as the F9  3-4 wood. I am thinking the 3-4 wood might as well go to a new home.

#22 rapidcat

rapidcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:46 AM

I think I was lucky when I found a Cobra Fly Z 5 wood with a seniors flex shaft. it was cheap for a new club, so I bought it sight unseen. The kick point of the shaft must suit me, because I am getting higher flight with same distance as the F9  3-4 wood. I am thinking the 3-4 wood might as well go to a new home.

Good for you, sounds like you've got it sorted.

I like Cobra woods in general and have a Biocell Driver as a reserve club that still gets a bit of use.

#23 awlgolf

awlgolf

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Well, you can check the details, price and customer reviews of driver here: https://awlgolf.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users