• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pattywagon

pattywagon

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

i am a rookie looking for a good first driver. i have been looking for a callaway xr16 regular flex 10.5°.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25624 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:55 PM

Ebay, gumtree, or from USA, 3Balls.com
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#3 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16536 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

i am a rookie looking for a good first driver. i have been looking for a callaway xr16 regular flex 10.5°.

Ebay, gumtree, or from USA, 3Balls.com

Or try looking on this site

https://forums.iseek...lf-classifieds/

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#4 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

Give Callaway preowned a go or Facebook marketplace, the golf buy and swap groups are pretty good.

#5 Thomas Spears

Thomas Spears

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

Ping G20 Drivers Reviews

The Ping G20 driver encompasses a slightly wider face than the G15 and at address the pinnacle seems larger, though almost as giant because the K15. this is often achieved by a shallower crown and additionally visually by a lighter antimonial silver end.

It’s fascinating that Ping have captive far from black to one thing slightly lighter. It will look superb except for America is definitely a bit a lot of reflective in bright conditions compared to the previous black color. check out for more information: https://www.mygamene...rivers-reviews/

#6 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

If you are a rookie, you probably don't need a driver yet. Use a 5 Wood for tee shots until you get really good at hitting fairways. It will save a lot of strokes off your score. Wait until you are in the mid -teens handicap range and you have a good swing and  ball strike habit.

If you must have a driver check out the GX7, which is on special for the Xmas period. I tested one today and bang for buck it was quite good. I was hitting fairways with it and it was almost as long as my Cobra F9 Driver.

The purists will say you need a Driver from the major companies because they look great. Looks don't matter, it is getting the ball into play that counts

Edited by xrman1954, 26 December 2019 - 10:15 PM.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25624 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

If you are a rookie, you probably don't need a driver yet. Use a 5 Wood for tee shots until you get really good at hitting fairways. It will save a lot of strokes off your score. Wait until you are in the mid -teens handicap range and you have a good swing and  ball strike habit.

If you must have a driver check out the GX7, which is on special for the Xmas period. I tested one today and bang for buck it was quite good. I was hitting fairways with it and it was almost as long as my Cobra F9 Driver.

The purists will say you need a Driver from the major companies because they look great. Looks don't matter, it is getting the ball into play that counts

What a load of hogwash, xr.

You're starting players off being scared to touch a driver, then they will always be full of doubt whenever they grip one. Maybe a shorter handled wood to start with, but they must get used to using one. If they can't control it, they need a few lessons: setup, how to not slice, how to not hook, i.e. how to hit straight.
  • WasabiPea_Shooter likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#8 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

Expert analysis here from OldBogey.
It looks like Santa did bring you those social skills you asked for.
  • Goldy likes this

#9 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:53 PM

Lively debate is good.

My point is that one of the things that discourages  players new to golf  is the wayward tee shots. It is enough for some to give the game away, especially if there is social pressure from mates (derision). Sure some will persist  and get lessons. Why not just avoid all that at the start and use a higher lofted club which makes it easier to to hit the fairway?

I still have days where I leave the Driver in the bag and use my 4 wood off the tee. Do I want to look like all the other golfers who reach for the Driver on every hole, or do I want to set up for a good second shot?

Giving a new golfer with few skills yet a low loft driver is like putting a bloke on racing skis because that's what the Pros use. Why not use skis designed for beginners?

If Pattywagon wants a Driver, he can buy one ( permission granted). Whether he can use it to good effect is an entirely different matter.

I play golf with a bunch of old blokes who have been at it for years. The number of them that can drive well with a Driver isn't all that great. Maybe that is influencing me to spout hogwash? Obviously none of them have ever sought lessons. I wonder what the percentage of players is that have had PGA professional lessons? Not all that high I would expect.

• Goldy likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25624 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

A number of the old boys that I play with don't hit the ball far enough to get into deep trouble, but we mostly play on parkland courses where the rough is just that - a bit rough and shaggy.

If you play with knee deep, ball swallowing grasses just off the fairway, then you certainly need an 'always straight' methodology. For a novice, that might mean nothing longer than a 7-iron.

Novices shouldn't be scared off from drivers, but taught strategies suited to the course. Instead of horses for courses, it should be clubs for holes.
  • xrman1954 likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#11 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4364 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:10 PM

Still worth persevering with a driver , However absolutely invest time in using a 3w or hybrid off the tee as a fallback . In the early stages this may be preferred option more often
  • kevvy likes this

#12 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

Hitting a good driver shot certainly indicates that your game is under control.

#13 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

I guess being on my 4th Driver in 3 years makes me think it is a mistake to pay a lot for a driver early on in your rookie years.

My experience ;

#1 PowerBilt driver with a too soft shaft was part of the set I bought from Drummonds. I had no idea about golf clubs then.

#2 off set Cobra 11.5 degree Driver to deal with my God awful slice; sort of worked

#3 Driver a second hand Cobra F8 with a stiff shaft, because I "needed" a stiffer shaft didn't I??? I can hit power fades now!!!

#4 Time to have a club fitting and bought Cobra F9 with a regular flex shaft. It took 4 weeks before I grew to love it though.

Moral of Story: 

1) Your first Driver is unlikely to be your last. Don't spend a fortune on it. Around $350 will get you a new Driver like a Cleveland Launcher Turbo.

2) Some Drivers just don't suit you, so move them on. If you didn't pay much it doesn't hurt a lot financially, just consider the loss as a rental fee.

3) Unless you are a big, strong, young man with a high swing speed ( I don't fit any of those descriptions)  a 10.5 loft or more is a good idea.

• Weetbix likes this

#14 Thomas Spears

Thomas Spears

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

Callaway Rogue Driver - Driver in Golf Get Better

Aftеr thе grеаt ѕuссеѕѕ оf  Eріс drіvеrѕ, Callaway іѕ gіvіng a wоndеrful орtіоn to golfers wіth thе rеlеаѕе of thе аll-nеw drіvеr. Adding to іtѕ jаіlbrеаk technology, thе Cаllаwау Rogue drіvеr оffеrѕ grеаt ассurасу аnd саuѕеѕ fast bаll ѕрееd. 

Callaways сlаіmѕ thаt they hаvе increased the MOI іn this lаtеѕt model thаt wіll hеlр tо реrfоrm bеttеr on mіѕhіtѕ. For more information visit at: https://www.mygamene...-driver-review/

#15 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

I bought a GX-7 mini driver for my travel half set ( it has to fit in a small car boot) . Small  head with  3 wood shaft. 

After testing it over 3 games i think it is very good, well worth considering as a first driver to find fairways. Drummonds and Golfbox have discounted the TM mini driver to $349. That makes it only slighlty more expensive than the $199 US GX-7, after freight and taxes.

The mini drivers are about 10-15m shorter on carry  distance ( compared to my Cobra F9 Driver) but easier to hit and therefore more likely to end up with a playable second shot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users