Photo

A Review Of Golf Club Software Systems In Use.

golfclub software software systems golf software miclub pricap Golf Computer Systems POWERPLUS GOLF

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3944 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

The thing about golf moving into the digital era is the dearth of independent Australian feedback and review of the various club software management systems. The management of many clubs outside of the urban areas is still voluntary manual accounting without specific Golf software. For some there is not even the swipe system in place as you turn up to play your round at a rural club. They are volunteer operated a paid greens keeper with perhaps a part time secretary or club members collecting green fees etc. They simply operate to play golf with no major income outside annual memberships. 80% of Australians do live in urban areas There is a lot more rural golfers playing at 5 times the number of clubs. Golf Club Participation Report PUBLISHED BY GOLF AUSTRALIA JUNE 2018 METROPOLITAN CLUB MEMBERS 150,691 across 205 clubs. REGIONAL CLUB MEMBERS 216,693 across 1,130 clubs

This is not a thread for the usual banter and throw out wit of posters, its purpose is to get the user opinions from their experience with the various , software systems.

At my club the committee is looking at making that transition into installing a golf club software system which is going to be up to an $8,000 outlay.  We are golfers first, filling the positions of captains, treasurer, general committee members etc. to operate the club. setting up programs, starting competitions on our days off then going out playing as well. Yes we are employed and run a variety of businesses.

The software packages that I am aware of include MiClub, Pricap (Slice), the  micropower integrated business solutions PowerPlus Golf just to name a few. I did a search and there are no independent reviews or comments by users that come up. Do the same for  phone, a tablet or a software package in general and there is some information sites that deliver.

Did find this one commentary of system use "The Brisbane Golf Club will return to using MiClub golf software to run its golf operations effective from Monday, 15 October 2018. The Club moved its finance, membership and point of sale software to Mpower in 2017 and a few months later also installed the Mpower golf software in order to run a fully integrated system." https://www.brisbane...-golf-software/

The forum is now open for your experiences and if you have first hand practical application of the various software packages in your regular golfing life work wise your contributions will be much appreciated.

• madness likes this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#2 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18045 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

We use Micropower, even I can go in and book people online, I think it’s ok, apparently we don’t use as much of the program as we could
  • Talart likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#3 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16072 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

The thing about golf moving into the digital era is the dearth of independent Australian feedback and review of the various club software management systems. The management of many clubs outside of the urban areas is still voluntary manual accounting without specific Golf software. For some there is not even the swipe system in place as you turn up to play your round at a rural club. They are volunteer operated a paid greens keeper with perhaps a part time secretary or club members collecting green fees etc. They simply operate to play golf with no major income outside annual memberships. 80% of Australians do live in urban areas There is a lot more rural golfers playing at 5 times the number of clubs. Golf Club Participation Report PUBLISHED BY GOLF AUSTRALIA JUNE 2018 METROPOLITAN CLUB MEMBERS 150,691 across 205 clubs. REGIONAL CLUB MEMBERS 216,693 across 1,130 clubs

This is not a thread for the usual banter and throw out wit of posters, its purpose is to get the user opinions from their experience with the various , software systems.

At my club the committee is looking at making that transition into installing a golf club software system which is going to be up to an $8,000 outlay.  We are golfers first, filling the positions of captains, treasurer, general committee members etc. to operate the club. setting up programs, starting competitions on our days off then going out playing as well. Yes we are employed and run a variety of businesses.

The software packages that I am aware of include MiClub, Pricap (Slice), the  micropower integrated business solutions PowerPlus Golf just to name a few. I did a search and there are no independent reviews or comments by users that come up. Do the same for  phone, a tablet or a software package in general and there is some information sites that deliver.

Did find this one commentary of system use "The Brisbane Golf Club will return to using MiClub golf software to run its golf operations effective from Monday, 15 October 2018. The Club moved its finance, membership and point of sale software to Mpower in 2017 and a few months later also installed the Mpower golf software in order to run a fully integrated system." https://www.brisbane...-golf-software/

The forum is now open for your experiences and if you have first hand practical application of the various software packages in your regular golfing life work wise your contributions will be much appreciated.

Thanks Talart

First off as a matter of transparency, ISG is owned by MPower MSL but runs pretty much as its on entity. MPower provide Tee Times software that integrates with the ISG web platform to promote tee times and direct sales to our readers.

PriCap also owned by MSL https://www.pricap.com.au/and is an option for smaller clubs.

MSL works throughout Clubland as a whole and not solely Golf such as MiClub.

I personally havent used any of the programs out there so I cant give any opinion on the day to day nuances.

My recommendations for you though, is to work on the following first- WANTS and NEEDS.

NEEDS are the functionalities that the software must provide.  WANTS are the other things that you would like to have.

Scope out your basic functionalities list and go to tender with suppliers, Get basics right first (get as much training hours built into proposal as you will need it)  then you can add other things to it later on if the platforms are integrated.  PS MiClub and MPower do integrate.

Many a club out there use a blend of platforms that are suited to that particular clubs NEEDS.

• BarnEsy05, Old Poppy and Talart like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#4 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3944 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Talart

First off as a matter of transparency, ISG is owned by MPower MSL but runs pretty much as its on entity. MPower provide Tee Times software that integrates with the ISG web platform to promote tee times and direct sales to our readers.

PriCap also owned by MSL https://www.pricap.com.au/and is an option for smaller clubs.

MSL works throughout Clubland as a whole and not solely Golf such as MiClub.

I personally havent used any of the programs out there so I cant give any opinion on the day to day nuances.

My recommendations for you though, is to work on the following first- WANTS and NEEDS.

NEEDS are the functionalities that the software must provide.  WANTS are the other things that you would like to have.

Scope out your basic functionalities list and go to tender with suppliers, Get basics right first (get as much training hours built into proposal as you will need it)  then you can add other things to it later on if the platforms are integrated.  PS MiClub and MPower do integrate.

Many a club out there use a blend of platforms that are suited to that particular clubs NEEDS.

Thankyou for the effective clear and concise responce. Much appreciated. It is something which many clubs are floundering with. It is a very small market maximum IE 1300 golf clubs in Australia approx. yet for many this is that step into today which is not being addressed through lack of user experience information. We have our tenders and analysed all of the various applications we can use. In addition we will advertise for a manager ($65K) as it is time to make the transition from a Club operated by a committee of (managing a golfclub) volunteers in spare time as well as having real jobs

I know the need and wants of what we are looking for have been well covered in our deliberations. The time it has taken to do this as volunteers though is exactly why many golf clubs are not moving forward in so many aspects of the game, industry and membership.

Edited by Talart, 23 March 2019 - 10:07 AM.

• Turfers Paradise likes this

#5 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16072 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

Thankyou for the effective clear and concise responce. Much appreciated. It is something which many clubs are floundering with. It is a very small market maximum IE 1300 golf clubs in Australia approx. yet for many this is that step into today which is not being addressed through lack of user experience information.

I know the need and wants of what we are looking for have been well covered in our deliberations. The time it has taken to do this as volunteers though is exactly why many golf clubs are not moving forward in so many aspects of the game, industry and membership.

The other side of the equation- it does cost for companies to try and service all those 1300 clubs for a product sales that wont be that large (though large for the club in many cases)

The amount of small clubs that dont use social media is anther concern. Its there its free but they cant or not want to use. Or to have a website of any real value.

Add tech into the mix and a whole other issue. 

• Turfers Paradise, Talart and madness like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#6 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18045 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Wow....... everything time I talk to the pro he says ‘we can do that on micropower’, it’s a great tool
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and Talart like this

#7 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3944 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

The other side of the equation- it does cost for companies to try and service all those 1300 clubs for a product sales that wont be that large (though large for the club in many cases)

The amount of small clubs that dont use social media is anther concern. Its there its free but they cant or not want to use. Or to have a website of any real value.

Add tech into the mix and a whole other issue. 

there is the problem in a nutshell. Golf Clubs at\re about people playing golf. Yet the generational divide has became even more pronounced with the digital era. In fact set up our club face book several years ago and still cannot handball it to another member to operate it!

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#8 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16072 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

Wow....... everything time I talk to the pro he says ‘we can do that on micropower’, it’s a great tool

Two former staff members of a great legend of a GM, and both have instilled the ethos of nothing is ever a problem;)

• Turfers Paradise and The B T like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18045 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Two former staff members of a great legend of a GM, and both have instilled the ethos of nothing is ever a problem;)

We are both happy that you took the ethos on board

#10 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16072 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

We are both happy that you took the ethos on board

touche brutha Bluethunda

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#11 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18045 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

touche brutha Bluethunda

mein bru from a Canadian mother!!,

#12 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18045 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:53 AM

Sorry Talmi have miss informed you, we use MiClub now, everything else I have said still stands though
  • Talart likes this

#13 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25116 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:00 PM

Tal, one would hope that GA would have independent reviews available. That would be a worthwhile service, more so than much of the other stuff they spend our money on. Or perhaps a golf magazine, such as Inside Golf would have done a comparison. But such help seems to be unavailable, leaving it up to each club to do their own research by volunteers who would mostly lack relevant experience.

While I have lots of experience with various accounting packages, none of it has golf specific add-ons.

You could go with a top end package such as Miclub which does handle all that your club might want, including accounting, competition management and handicapping integrated with Golflink. But it is expensive, complex and thus requires extensive training. How many 'operators' would you require?

You could come back a notch to Slice which can include various modules to perform the various functions. You could just get the golf competition management system and common accounting software (e.g. MYOB) for financial management.

My main club uses Miclub and it seems to work very well, but I am just a club member with no admin function.

Many of the country clubs in this district use Slice for comps, with manual score inputs, usually by members as they come in. It can display a live leaderboard. I don't know what those clubs do for accounting.

My other club, a much smaller one, uses paper based comp management, MYOB for accounting, and Golflink's web interface for handicapping. We have a web site for our syllabus but no capacity for timesheet bookings. Comps are so small that it's not necessary.

So, as Madam said, carefully examine your needs, with an eye on the costs. My view is that I'd be much happier keeping the accounting side of things separate from golf management. Setting permissions in the software may meet that need, but it still means that someone has control of everything.
  • Talart and madness like this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#14 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3944 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:31 AM

Sorry Talmi have miss informed you, we use MiClub now, everything else I have said still stands though

That is fime mate, all contributions are valued. Before this there was nothing :)

#15 Talart

Talart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3944 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:20 AM

Tal, one would hope that GA would have independent reviews available. That would be a worthwhile service, more so than much of the other stuff they spend our money on. Or perhaps a golf magazine, such as Inside Golf would have done a comparison. But such help seems to be unavailable, leaving it up to each club to do their own research by volunteers who would mostly lack relevant experience.

While I have lots of experience with various accounting packages, none of it has golf specific add-ons.

You could go with a top end package such as Miclub which does handle all that your club might want, including accounting, competition management and handicapping integrated with Golflink. But it is expensive, complex and thus requires extensive training. How many 'operators' would you require?

You could come back a notch to Slice which can include various modules to perform the various functions. You could just get the golf competition management system and common accounting software (e.g. MYOB) for financial management.

My main club uses Miclub and it seems to work very well, but I am just a club member with no admin function.

Many of the country clubs in this district use Slice for comps, with manual score inputs, usually by members as they come in. It can display a live leaderboard. I don't know what those clubs do for accounting.

My other club, a much smaller one, uses paper based comp management, MYOB for accounting, and Golflink's web interface for handicapping. We have a web site for our syllabus but no capacity for time sheet bookings. Comps are so small that it's not necessary.

So, as Madam said, carefully examine your needs, with an eye on the costs. My view is that I'd be much happier keeping the accounting side of things separate from golf management. Setting permissions in the software may meet that need, but it still means that someone has control of everything. 

This is a great reply mate thank you. Our club has been operating on the last example you described, "uses paper based comp management, MYOB for accounting, and Golflink's web interface for handicapping. We have a web site for our syllabus but no capacity for timesheet bookings. Comps are so small that it's not necessary." 

This was not going to alter until we made major changes. Which began in 2011 when we purchased more land and could begin the process of building 6 new holes and become an 18 hole course. We had 14 holes, (subdivided two and sold 32 blocks since of the 34 and that part funded the development). In fact on April the 26th will be an opening event, as we applied for and received funding under the Federal Regional development funding program. The full course will not be opened to the public until November 2019 on the Annual Village Classic and Robe Open Weekend. To give the new holes plenty of time to become established. Also the completed course will not be rated until April for competition.

It is not possible for us to operate successfully with a reliance upon hands on volunteers. We have the experienced people but we are mostly operating our own businesses full time.So our skills are focused to them and contributed to the golf club but not dedicated. Our older members who volunteer are retired and assist a lot. In business management particularly because of the digital era changes in how things are done, that relies upon a group of people who cannot be as reliable.. Whilst our local comp is small and growing significantly with a major membership increase over the past few month. We have to be very active to retain and maintain our new members. Our vision is all about tomorrow and not where we have came from and how it has been. 

Our decision that has to be made has came down to a handful of options at this stage and it is not about the cost. It is as has been said, what do we need. That is also influenced by getting one that will work now and in 10 years still be appropriate

(In brief the Robe Golf Course has always been a popular visitor experience. In the past 8 years of applications, approvals, the expected gamut of development activities, we have also made significant changes in our club operation. Established a profitable club shop open 5 months a year up from the previous 4-6 weeks, purchased a fleet of Golf carts which added to the income earning and other improvements. Employed new course staff and admin assistant/shop manager for sales stocki/ event marketing and assist the secretary, president and various sub committees. Being in an established visitor destination and an active business and social community as small towns has been very beneficial. IE when we laid the turf on greens and some fairways there was a volunteer working bee of 50 plus people turning up to help over a couple of months. End result we began our 6 hole development in July 2018 and it was completed by November 2018 and since it has been waiting for the grass to grow literally.)

• Commish, Turfers Paradise, madness and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users