#1 Hakka

Hakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

Things that happen in pennant.
With pennant season upcoming I would like to hear any funny or interesting stories from the past.

One match last year playing a fella I have known for 30 years and got on well with.I was flogging him 4 up 6 to play when I went in a very dry water hazard.As hazard was bone dry I pushed buggy in (my bad)and played shot.Fella says sorry but 2 shot penalty for having buggy in hazard.Oh bummer ok fair enough.I take 6 on hole he 7 so im now 5 n 5.
I win last hole to make it 6 n 4 all good lesson learnt dont play with buggy in hazard.In bar im told should of been loss of hole when matchplay so another lesson learnt.
Another time playing a different fella in close match he hits ball amongst twigs n branches I help find his ball n walk off.He picks up n drops ball without saying anything we get to green I say im on for 2 howabout you?He says 2 you will give me that drop as its greenkeepers clippings wont you?I go bit rude of you to do that but ok play on.We halved hole n I went on to win however I thought was poor form by him.
Whos next?
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and KEG like this

#2 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Yesterday in pennant pre match one of our team says we are in the finals already aren't we so it doesn't matter about today's results.....other 4 players jump on him about always playing to win and go for the jugular.  Our team won the round 4/1 and guess who got beaten 6/5..the guy who made the remark...who rightly has copped a fair ribbing since!

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#3 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3222 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

A buggy in a hazard and getting penalised for it is a new one for me.
I always expect that your opponent will surprise you with a lucky/miracle shot at some point.

#4 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

I played on Sunday when our #1 pulled out 7 min before the team sheet was due in, I then broke my driver on the practice range 15 min before i was due to hit off.

Then ended up playing a professional who thumped me 9/7. Oh well. 

• KEG, Lukos87 and Parmachine like this

#5 Littleman

Littleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1416 posts
  • LocationCarving out the turns on the white stuff somewhere....

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:57 PM

I played on Sunday when our #1 pulled out 7 min before the team sheet was due in, I then broke my driver on the practice range 15 min before i was due to hit off.

Then ended up playing a professional who thumped me 9/7. Oh well. 

Well done....look on the bright side...you fronted up for your team and took one for the team/club.  It could also have been worse as you did not get done 10/8!

Did your team win?

• Liberton and Parmachine like this

2015 BHIC Runner Up

2015 ISG match play champion

2015 B Grade Winner OOM#4 Heritage St Johns

2015 social golf pennant team winners (including undefeated in all matches)

2015 Overall Winner OOM #2 Settlers Run

http://www.golflink....10903029&skip=1

#6 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Couple of years ago i was playing an old timer who was giving me the shits all day, pulling obscure pennant rules out his backside etc Anyway he was 1up with 2 to play and we were playing a par 3 with two 2 greens(9 hole course). Now the home club had done the right thing and told everybody about the duel greens and given a list of local rules which included the duel greens. Anyway he tees off ..............to the wrong green! I tee'd off to the right green. Got up to our balls he said your away cos your further away I said nooooo you are you played to the wrong green!! argued about it until he read the local rules. I won the hole all square.

Down the last both on the green in reg and similar distance from the hole(15 feet). Old mates on hands and knees with the flag stick measuring it out!! By this time all his team mates were gathered round watching/laughing Anyway he decided he wanted to putt first (i'm like yeah mate what ever) he two putts I sink mine win the hole and match, his team mates are in hysterics. :lol:  

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, iRON MiCK and 3 others like this

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 6.0 on 01/06/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#7 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:54 AM

Well done....look on the bright side...you fronted up for your team and took one for the team/club.  It could also have been worse as you did not get done 10/8!

Did your team win?

No, got hammered by the home team 7-0. 

I tried to just enjoy being out there and filling in, unfortunately my competitiveness got to me and I didn't take the loss well. Oh well, its what happens as a 10 handicapper against a pro on his home track, hopefully i dont have to play again. 

#8 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:02 AM

Funny one about breaking a driver, reminds me of the pennant day at Sanctuary Lakes, a lot of teams were on the practice green, one player takes out his driver near that hut they have and starts warming up. A caddie from the same club took an iron out and started swinging for some reason, and yep, they collided - the driver head flew off the shaft. The whole putting green stopped in disbelief, and 10 seconds later that player was called to the tee, without a driver. 

That was the same day as a player on our team who shall remain nameless, james, 3 putted the 18th green to loose 1 down. Shook hands with his opponent and the caddy, then walked to the edge of the island green and helicoptered his putter as far into the lake as he could. Thats all well and fine, but he rocked up to pennant the next week having forgot that and needed to borrow a putter to play with! 

• KEG, members section, Lukos87 and 1 other like this

#9 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:26 AM

Things that happen in pennant.
With pennant season upcoming I would like to hear any funny or interesting stories from the past.

One match last year playing a fella I have known for 30 years and got on well with.I was flogging him 4 up 6 to play when I went in a very dry water hazard.As hazard was bone dry I pushed buggy in (my bad)and played shot.Fella says sorry but 2 shot penalty for having buggy in hazard.Oh bummer ok fair enough.I take 6 on hole he 7 so im now 5 n 5.
I win last hole to make it 6 n 4 all good lesson learnt dont play with buggy in hazard.In bar im told should of been loss of hole when matchplay so another lesson learnt.
Another time playing a different fella in close match he hits ball amongst twigs n branches I help find his ball n walk off.He picks up n drops ball without saying anything we get to green I say im on for 2 howabout you?He says 2 you will give me that drop as its greenkeepers clippings wont you?I go bit rude of you to do that but ok play on.We halved hole n I went on to win however I thought was poor form by him.
Whos next?

Did you politely ask him to point out where rule 13.4 mentions buggies and what was the specific action of your buggy being in the hazard broke that rule?
  • Monty85 likes this

#10 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

Did you politely ask him to point out where rule 13.4 mentions buggies and what was the specific action of your buggy being in the hazard broke that rule?

What about 13.24 or is that just warning points?

#11 Hakka

Hakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:51 PM

Have just looked up the rules and seems I was wrongly penalised?Not Too concerned but may ask him why when next see.Better packs me a rule book this coming season.

Edited by Hakka, 20 March 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and Hakka like this

#12 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1701 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

Have just looked up the rules and seems I was wrongly penalised?Not Too concerned but may ask him why when next see.Better packs me a rule book this coming season.

I've said it so many times, people make up rules constantly. Then to make it worse, committees start enforcing them.

Especially in Pennants it makes sense for you to have a reasonable understanding of the rules.

In this scenario, old mate makes up a rule that you can't take a buggy in a hazard and its a 2 stroke penalty. Everyone in the club then disagrees with this and says, actually its loss of hole.

Everyone was wrong.

In a recent Pennant match this year i had a player try to tell me i couldn't take relief from a sprinkler head in the rough and drop in a closely mowed area.

I wonder how many people he's stung with that one in the past. At least I wasn't one of them.

Edited by Monty85, 21 March 2019 - 07:56 AM.

| GolfLink 

#13 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9596 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 05:41 AM

No, got hammered by the home team 7-0. 

I tried to just enjoy being out there and filling in, unfortunately my competitiveness got to me and I didn't take the loss well. Oh well, its what happens as a 10 handicapper against a pro on his home track, hopefully i dont have to play again. 

I was just about to ask whether you think the Golf Vic experiment of allowing pros to play pennant is working.?

Looking through the results it seems like clubs who dont have  or wont play a pro are just sacrificing a player against the pro, rather than having their gun play him.

Not really what the officials at Golf Vic / Australia intended.

Thank goodness we dont have Pros playing in bush pennant

should Pro's play pennant is a topic for another thread.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#14 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

I was just about to ask whether you think the Golf Vic experiment of allowing pros to play pennant is working.?

Looking through the results it seems like clubs who dont have  or wont play a pro are just sacrificing a player against the pro, rather than having their gun play him.

Not really what the officials at Golf Vic / Australia intended.

Thank goodness we dont have Pros playing in bush pennant

should Pro's play pennant is a topic for another thread.

Is it working? the stats from GA / VGA say that more clubs are playing professionals each year and the total amount of pro's playing is increasing - In the 2018 post season survey, of the clubs that responded, 70% were in favour of pro's playing. 

Are clubs sacrificing? maybe, I jumped in at 1 as our #1 was the one i was replacing, could I have played at 7 and maybe had a lesser loss, maybe, at the end of the day did it make

any difference? no.

Personally, I think what needs to be done, and i dont know how too, but have clubs prove players are paid up members of their clubs - that will eliminate a lot of suspicion regarding professionals playing for clubs.

#15 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1657 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

It is very debatable to say that Pro's in Pennant has been a success or not. Whilst it is great to experience the skills of a Professional the aspect of competition and exhibition seem to clash. Spectator numbers have not increased and in line with golf generally they may have in fact declined on the Sundays . Some games are simply a mismatch with most clubs sacrificing a game against a Pro.by loading their order of play. Of course not all clubs have access to selecting a Pro so therefore those cubs are at a distinct disadvantage. If the competition had remained all Amateur then this problem would not arise. Survey results are misleading as the number of clubs that did not respond was astonishing. Pennant golf has seen many changes over the last 10 years and it must be said that tradition has been the losing aspect.
  • Monty85 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users