#16 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

The only one I regret seeing disappear is "rub of the green" but it was generally misused anyway.   :(

I still hear that one. Personally, i don't use it very often but i have used it. So it's not gone completely just yet.

Red Penalty Area is rather clunky...so was Lateral Water Hazard.

True. Although, I don't really recall anyone actually saying "Lateral Water Hazard" or even "Water Hazard". They were both generally just referred to as a "hazard" which is still a better and less clunky term than "penalty area".

So far I haven't heard anyone say "Red Penalty Area" either, just "Penalty Area".

| GolfLink 

#17 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1937 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

Monty,
My experience on player talk are different to yours. But water hazard most common. It would likely.be tiedin to the course usually played. If there are both Yellow and Red and even bunkers close by the differentiation is likely to be more likely.
With no longer any requirement for water to be involved any more for a Red Penalty Area it is obvious “water” is not relevant any more.
I have not been able to play much lately, unfortunately. So I don’t really know the current player jargon, on course.
If I am around the Clubhouse apres Golf I am usually approached with a practical question. That sometimes involves a Red Penalty Area. The full term is used in the question except for a dam. My course has four.
All our Penalty areas are Red now.
This was facilitated by the change in the Rule allowing a drop referencing the opposite edge, equidistant point in the now superseded Lateral Water Hazard Rule.
As you know using the equidistant point reference now requires a New Local Rule.
We have now included one of these for one creek situation.
This was pretty much forced by the problems with the terrain and course conditions for a part of the creek. It also meant a lot of careful consideration on the placement of red stakes.
And COLIN, I hear rub of the green very occasionally.

#18 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

Monty,
My experience on player talk are different to yours. But water hazard most common.

Thinking on it, i don't really recall a time where anyone actually said "lateral water hazard" that wasn't in reference to explain a rule. I was always just hazard or even just "the water" (even if there was no water in there).

I think the only time i ever used the word "lateral" was when explaining to someone that they couldn't use the 2 club length relief option from a yellow staked water hazard.

We still have yellow penalty areas at our course so at least those conversations won't be going anywhere. :|

Edited by Monty85, 15 March 2019 - 10:28 AM.

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users