• The B T likes this

#2 Dontplaygolf

Dontplaygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

Good article, try playing next to a 747 taking off, the penalty is not wearing ear plugs.

#3 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3016 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:18 PM

Forest, it's a very Yank thing to change golfing wording, rules, equipment and the ball size. 

They have been a distant second cousin to the Brits for acouple of hundred years now, with regards to the game of golf and its development.

When we should be trying to preserve the history and traditions of the game the US of A are keen to change the basics for better or worse.

It won't be long now until the male handicap limit reaches 45 or even 54 !

If we end up getting a standard mulligan per nine, then I'll have a hard look at playing snooker or darts in my retirement.

Jon...  

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3201 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:01 AM

The male handicap limit is already 54 in many parts of the world.

#5 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39559 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

Forest, it's a very Yank thing to change golfing wording, rules, equipment and the ball size. 

They have been a distant second cousin to the Brits for acouple of hundred years now, with regards to the game of golf and its development.

When we should be trying to preserve the history and traditions of the game the US of A are keen to change the basics for better or worse.

If we end up getting a standard mulligan per nine, then I'll have a hard look at playing snooker or darts in my retirement.

Jon...  

Side saddle would work in snooker. Just sayin  ;)

• *Mouldy, iRON MiCK and Snappy McSnapperton like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18 | NTP YM 12th hole 24/2/19

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#6 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

Strange article IMO, and not very well written. The hazards haven't died or been removed from the game. The word "hazard" has been removed in the rules of golf because it doesn't fit and probably never did for with the true meaning of the word. A hazard is something which poses a danger - in the context of golf a hazard is something that poses a danger to a players score. This could be trees, divot, sprinkler head, rough, rain, wind, water, sand, loose impediments, an annoying playing partner etc. Anyway you get my drift.
  • languid likes this

#7 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

The greatest hazard on any golf course I play is inside my skull.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and languid like this

#8 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15805 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

Jon...  

So true if it wasnt for the Yanks we;d still be playing hickory and gutta balls!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

Why is it that someone always has to step in and spoil the thread by bringing logic into play. :ph34r: :ph34r:

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#10 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3016 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

Side saddle would work in snooker. Just sayin  ;)

I've already tried it and was told very quickly that I had to keep atleast one foot planted on the floor to play a shot.
Couldn't really understand what the problem was by standing on the table to play ! They were humourless punters down Rossdale way.
Jon...
  • Goldy likes this

#11 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

I tend to agree with that article to be honest.

While its all trivial at the end of the day, saying "penalty area" just doesn't feel like it fits in with the theme of a golf course.

Most people seem to be continuing to just say hazard anyway.

• Forrest Gardener likes this

| GolfLink 

#12 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

I tend to agree with that article to be honest.

While its all trivial at the end of the day, saying "penalty area" just doesn't feel like it fits in with the theme of a golf course.

Most people seem to be continuing to just say hazard anyway.

Lots of people still say "sand trap" and that went out at least a decade ago.  Shakespeare summed it up, "Much Ado About Nothing".

#13 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

Those who have played a game for while get used to the language. The formal and colloquial.
After a while we get used to the change in formal language. Resenting change is useless.
However some colloquial language persists for a very long time.
I think “Pin” is one. Much more convenient than Flagstick.
Those who have played a while, particularly those who have some formal responsibility...example Match Committee owe it to the newcomers, and younger people to use the new Official (formal) language in many situations.
Examples would be posting Local Rules, redrafting Terms of Competition, (yes kill the term Conditions in that context.
If we keep using the word ‘hazards’ we can cause others to be confused in trying to come to grips with The Rules.
Red Penalty Area is rather clunky...so was Lateral Water Hazard.
Bunkers now have a stand alone Rule, I am pleased to say. Just about everything on Bunkers was buried in the defunct Rule 13.
Keep the old colloquial stuff alive,though, please.

#14 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

Keep the old colloquial stuff alive,though, please.

The only one I regret seeing disappear is "rub of the green" but it was generally misused anyway.  :(

• languid likes this

#15 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3016 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:58 PM

Stymie/stymied was not only a fabulous term but a great game changer !
Jon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users