#1 aligolfing

aligolfing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hi All, 

I have been a forum member for a while but not that active. I have decided to begin a page where I document my golfing exploits/adventures and hopefully a move towards a single digit handicap in the next 12 months. There is nothing original about the idea of documenting my progress given it has been done by many many others. If it doesn't interest you, then don't read it.

My aim is to play in as many comps as possible and hopefully participate in the ISG Vic comps during the course of the year to expand my golfing network/friends with like minded golf enthusiasts.     

Background

I have had clubs for over 10 years and used to play around 4 to 5 times a year. However 5 or so years ago, I got the golf bug and began to play more regularly. I had never played in a comp and used to play socially with friends on a fortnightly basis. I then got more obsessed in the last 2 years and began playing every week. I would usually play at whatever public courses that were close to where I live. These were mainly Northcote (9 holes), Bundoora, Royal Park, and Ivanhoe. Earlier this year, I decided to take the next step in my golf development by inquiring about and then signing up to a golf club membership. This was so that I could play regularly and with other people outside of my immediate circle of friends. I posted a topic a month ago about some of my options and eventually decided on Mt Derrimut. This was influenced by a couple of factors, being that it was a relatively cheap option compared to some other clubs which meant that a few mates could also sign up. Also the club seemed progressive and the course is challenging.  

Handicap

After signing up to the membership, I began playing as regularly as I could to get my starting handicap. I played my first three rounds in mid February. I shot 93, 95 and then 89 playing off the blue tees. My starting GA was 15.8.

Since obtaining my handicap, I have played in 4 comps, with the following results:

23 Feb- Stableford (blue tees) with a daily handicap of 18- 35 points 

26 Feb- Stableford (white tees) with a daily handicap of 17- 31 points

27 Feb- Stableford (blue tees) with a daily handicap of 18- 35 points

2 Mar - (Stroke- Monthly medal) with a daily handicap of 18- 94 gross for 76 net 

My current handicap is 15.7, so not much has changed in the 4 rounds I have played since getting my handicap. Every round that I play seems to be going well until I have a stretch of 3-5 holes where I completely stuff things up. I am confident of being about to shoot mid 80's without much improvement just good course management and no mid round meltdowns. I think the big challenge will be to shoot regular scores of around 80. I would love any feedback from other members on what aspect of my game I should focus on to get better quicker. I have a pretty consistent all round game. 

In terms of playing, I have quite a bit of flexibility with work at the moment which means I can play quite regularly during the week. I am often playing in the mornings and then going into work. With this in mind, I would love any opportunities that other forum members have to play at some other courses in and around Melbourne during the week. I don't mind travel however anything more than say 40-45 mins from Brunswick would be onerous.

Hopefully, you all get some enjoyment out of my posts and progress.  

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, Francie and 3 others like this

#2 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16301 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

Hi All, 

I have been a forum member for a while but not that active. I have decided to begin a page where I document my golfing exploits/adventures and hopefully a move towards a single digit handicap in the next 12 months. There is nothing original about the idea of documenting my progress given it has been done by many many others. If it doesn't interest you, then don't read it.

My aim is to play in as many comps as possible and hopefully participate in the ISG Vic comps during the course of the year to expand my golfing network/friends with like minded golf enthusiasts.     

Background

I have had clubs for over 10 years and used to play around 4 to 5 times a year. However 5 or so years ago, I got the golf bug and began to play more regularly. I had never played in a comp and used to play socially with friends on a fortnightly basis. I then got more obsessed in the last 2 years and began playing every week. I would usually play at whatever public courses that were close to where I live. These were mainly Northcote (9 holes), Bundoora, Royal Park, and Ivanhoe. Earlier this year, I decided to take the next step in my golf development by inquiring about and then signing up to a golf club membership. This was so that I could play regularly and with other people outside of my immediate circle of friends. I posted a topic a month ago about some of my options and eventually decided on Mt Derrimut. This was influenced by a couple of factors, being that it was a relatively cheap option compared to some other clubs which meant that a few mates could also sign up. Also the club seemed progressive and the course is challenging.  

Handicap

After signing up to the membership, I began playing as regularly as I could to get my starting handicap. I played my first three rounds in mid February. I shot 93, 95 and then 89 playing off the blue tees. My starting GA was 15.8.

Since obtaining my handicap, I have played in 4 comps, with the following results:

23 Feb- Stableford (blue tees) with a daily handicap of 18- 35 points 

26 Feb- Stableford (white tees) with a daily handicap of 17- 31 points

27 Feb- Stableford (blue tees) with a daily handicap of 18- 35 points

2 Mar - (Stroke- Monthly medal) with a daily handicap of 18- 94 gross for 76 net 

My current handicap is 15.7, so not much has changed in the 4 rounds I have played since getting my handicap. Every round that I play seems to be going well until I have a stretch of 3-5 holes where I completely stuff things up. I am confident of being about to shoot mid 80's without much improvement just good course management and no mid round meltdowns. I think the big challenge will be to shoot regular scores of around 80. I would love any feedback from other members on what aspect of my game I should focus on to get better quicker. I have a pretty consistent all round game. 

In terms of playing, I have quite a bit of flexibility with work at the moment which means I can play quite regularly during the week. I am often playing in the mornings and then going into work. With this in mind, I would love any opportunities that other forum members have to play at some other courses in and around Melbourne during the week. I don't mind travel however anything more than say 40-45 mins from Brunswick would be onerous.

Excellent work Ali-  welcome to the forums more officially!

Jump into some Vic games when you can, a couple members on here are members at Mt Derrimut.

We also have the ISG Nationals this October on the Bellarine PEninsula- there is a thread going on here.

Cheers

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Hi All,

I have been a forum member for a while but not that active. I have decided to ...

Welcome to the journey / journal self analysis world!

Perhaps? To help us know more about you, whack a post in this thread too:

http://forums.iseekg...67#entry1644212

Edited by hack2489, 04 March 2019 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43039 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Welcome aboard

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

... I would love any feedback from other members on what aspect of my game I should focus on to get better quicker.

What stats are you keeping of your rounds?

How's your:

FIR% ?

GIR% ?

# of putts per round?

Where do you tend to lose shots?

With your 3 or 4 holes that cost you each round, where are they? Early, mid, late round? Is it technique or loss of mental focus / concentration?

#6 aligolfing

aligolfing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

I have updated my old profile on the profiles page! Not much has changed. 

I haven't been keeping any specific stats, but might have to to pin point where I am leaking shots. 

Last round things went pear shaped towards the end of the round. I think it was due to the heat and a lack of concentration. I shot a 9 on one hole because I duffed a driver into some rocks and straight into a bunker probably 10 metres away from the tee box on the next hole. I then duffed 3 shots in the bunker.

On the previous occasions, I lost shots because of poor course management, by trying to hit hero shots rather than playing safe into the heart of the greens. These shots would end up in bunkers. Whilst I can get out quite easily, I can't get close enough to sink the next shot.  

• hack2489 likes this

#7 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to the land of self improvement!

Without stats or video it is hard to say where to start.

Regarding course management remember that as an 18 marker bogey is your par...remember that when you find trouble, not so much when in good position.  Make bogey your goal score and double bogey your worst possibility.

For example if you hit a good drive on a par 4 you will generally be able to reach it in 2.  If you make a mistake with the drive try to hit the recovery to where your drive would be, that is the goal, no need to try to get closer to the green than that.  If you do that then mis-hit the iron short just try to get the fourth on the green, no need to fire at a pin even with a pitch if a miss is going to cause trouble.  If you have a 20 footer for bogey and 2 putt you make double having hit 2 bad shots in one hole.

Do you have and follow a pre-shot routine both physically and mentally?

What is your general ball flight, what is your normal miss?

• hack2489 likes this

#8 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19983 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

One thing I'd suggest now that you have a home ……... if you can get out on the course when its quite, get yourself onto a green, and throw balls down all around it . and putt to different places (and not just the where the hole is on that day).

You want to learn where the slopes are, how much they break from different distances, different directions, how quick they are etc, and you want to remember as much as you can about that green.

Next time you go to the course, pick another green and do exactly the same …….. and over a short period of time you will know each green and how much break and speed etc to any point of the green ……. and that can save you a crapload of shots not only in the next few months, but over the next few years …. not to mention improve your putting technique / method, due to all that practice you'll get in a short time.

As an example, there are some guys at my club who have played there for 20 years yet still don't know which way a ball may break at a given location on a green. There will no doubt be a lot at your club who are the same, so you can get a good jump on them by just a little effort.

Hope this helps …  ;)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16097 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

But don’t count them

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 1.6 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#10 aligolfing

aligolfing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the contributions guys.

Toolish I have downloaded a golf stats app and will begin taking more notice of my play. Hopefully it will give me a better idea of what I’m not doing well and what I am doing well.

I don’t have a pre shot routine. I mean there are things that I do quite regularly but no set routine. In terms of my ball flight it’s quite low. I need to get my elevation because I’m finding a lot of shots are running through the greens. My bad miss is a lowish slice. I also top my 3 wood and hybrid regularly.

I like your suggestion gpj. When I have time I usually just play the course rather than concentrating on one aspect of my game like putting. But putting is something I could defintely improve. I will work methodically through each hole in the afternoons and see how I go.

#11 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

One thing I'd suggest now that you have a home ……... if you can get out on the course when its quite, get yourself onto a green, and throw balls down all around it . and putt to different places (and not just the where the hole is on that day).

You want to learn where the slopes are, how much they break from different distances, different directions, how quick they are etc, and you want to remember as much as you can about that green.

Next time you go to the course, pick another green and do exactly the same …….. and over a short period of time you will know each green and how much break and speed etc to any point of the green ……. and that can save you a crapload of shots not only in the next few months, but over the next few years …. not to mention improve your putting technique / method, due to all that practice you'll get in a short time.

As an example, there are some guys at my club who have played there for 20 years yet still don't know which way a ball may break at a given location on a green. There will no doubt be a lot at your club who are the same, so you can get a good jump on them by just a little effort.

Hope this helps … ;)

Hey GPJ, what about your sage advice about playing the hole backwards?

Wanna reshare that gem for Ali?

Edited by hack2489, 05 March 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#12 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1929 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the contributions guys.

Toolish I have downloaded a golf stats app and will begin taking more notice of my play. Hopefully it will give me a better idea of what I’m not doing well and what I am doing well.

I don’t have a pre shot routine. I mean there are things that I do quite regularly but no set routine. In terms of my ball flight it’s quite low. I need to get my elevation because I’m finding a lot of shots are running through the greens. My bad miss is a lowish slice. I also top my 3 wood and hybrid regularly.

I like your suggestion gpj. When I have time I usually just play the course rather than concentrating on one aspect of my game like putting. But putting is something I could defintely improve. I will work methodically through each hole in the afternoons and see how I go.

If an App works for you, great. I personally use the scorecard because I have my phone out of sight (too many calls n text etc to distract me). I mark FIR, GIR, putts etc. and where my missed were, left, right, short, long, etc.

Weeti has his own short hand he uses too. Check his par in sight thread on here.

Also, FWIW, maybe also include concentration and or focus on your tracking. Rate say 1-5 after each hole, few holes, or where you mess up.

I started to include thoughts too, like what distracts me, what I was thinking before a shot etc. Just a more detailed focus log I guess...

I've found I play best when not distracted and only thinking about the shot at hand.

What I drink and eat impacts my focus too. Which I picked up reviewing my log after bad rounds.

Good luck.

Edited by hack2489, 05 March 2019 - 08:55 AM.

#13 aligolfing

aligolfing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

I played today in the par competition at mt derrimut. Playing off the blue tees with a daily handicap of 18.

I have not played in a par competition before. It was ok, but I would prefer stableford as I feel you get rewarded for your better holes rather than a simple +.

I had 90 ots, with 45 on each 9 holes. Ended up on square. Had 5 x squares, 2 x minuses and 2 x plus on each nine. 1 x triple bogey. 3 x doubles. 10 x bogeys. 3 x pars. 1 x birdie. 

I wasn't driving it well early so from the 7th hole onwards I put away the driver and used the 3 wood off the tee. I was giving up approximately 25-40 metres off the tee for accuracy. It was an interesting experiment. I think i struggled on the long par 5s and par 4s on the back 9 because of this but i thought it was important to keep the ball in play. After making the switch, I hit 6 out of 8 fairways. The misses were in the first cut, so not very big. Overall I hit 9 out of 14 fairways (approximately 65%). I initially thought I putted well but my stats would suggest otherwise. I had a total of 38 putts for the round with 5 x 3 putts. Upon further reflection, I did not putt well at all. My iron play was ok without being anything special. Pretty clunky with not too many crispy compressed shots. 

My concentration levels throughout were pretty good. It was a quick game because we were first off and I only had 1 other person in my group which meant we were playing uninterrupted at a good pace. We finished in 3 hours. I don't generally eat through the round and don't take in too much water. A coffee and a muffin from 7 eleven on the way to the course is my breakfast and is generally enough fuel until the end of the round. I don't think my concentration or lack of concentration attributed to the round in any way. 

I just checked on Golf Australia and my GA has reduced slightly to 15.2. Baby steps. 

I was keen to get another game in before the weekend but I have something on tomorrow and on Thursday. I might try to sneak in 9 holes on Friday. 

• hack2489 likes this

#14 The Butler

The Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:36 PM

It's a fun ride trying to get to singles. I still remember the first time I got there, great sense of accomplishment. Look forward to reading more about it and as far as tips to get there I'd say just play to your strengths. If you hit a fade just keep hitting that fade try not to get caught up with the hero shots and trying to hit a draw or big hook around a tree. While it's nice to see those kinda shots most of us can't play them so leave them to the pros haha

Edited by The Butler, 05 March 2019 - 06:37 PM.

• hack2489 likes this

My Handicap

https://www.golf.org.au/handicap/5050801904

Follow my journey back to singles and hopefully a lot lower   :D 

http://forums.iseekgolf.com/topic/64887-road-back-to-singles/

Returned to singles 27 April 2019

Lowest GA HC 6.5 (2012/13ish)

2019/2020 season goals:

• GA HC to 5.0 
  • Make the 2019/2020 club champ finals. 
  • Top 5 at the 2019 National Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Championship to be played at Ballarat GC
  • HC low enough to be considered to our premier grade pennants team

#15 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

Hi Aligolfer,

We are on a similar journey, albeit you are starting at my goal handicap. I should live long enough to reach single figures!

I have read all the above suggestions and will use some/all of them to assist my next step to get to 18. I started playing golf almost 2 years ago, when I semi-retired at age 63. My starting handicap was 28 and now it is 19.5.

I start off each game with the driver in the bag and use my 3 wood until I feel that I am loosened up enough to chance the driver on a hole where my miss ( high right fade) won't matter too much.

I think concentrating on achieving solid reliable ball striking is the key playing better golf. I am still erratic with taking divots on my iron shots. Needs work!

I am using an acronym PAVER. It stands for Plan, Aim, Visualize, Execute, Review.

Behind the ball I plan the shape of the shot, where my small target will be and look to how high the shot should fly, and what might happen if I hit it left, right or straight. 

Then I place my tee shot with the black texta pen line on my target line, using a intermediate point about 30 cm ahead. If it is not a tee shot I try to look for a visual aid IP on the ground. While I line up just away from the ball I try to visualize the ball flying to the target point at the flight height I want. I will take a couple of practice swings and make sure to feel the ground if it is an iron shot, noticing the club blur position. Then I shuffle in to the ball and hit it.

The review stage is usually. " Did I stay on task, swing the club through the ball toward the target?" Most of my misses are when the answer was no I blanked out and went at the ball. I guess the process is more valuable to consistent golf than if the outcome wasn't as expected.

Of course you can review your set up/ strike if the ball goes way off line. For example I was hitting my hybrids right and worked out that I was positioning the ball too far back in the stance. Understanding how ball position and swing plane/ club face angles affects ball slight really helps. I am amazed at the number of long term golfers who have no idea about this.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and hack2489 like this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users