9 replies to this topic

#1 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18092 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

Bit of conjecture bout chiropractors treating new born babies on the news. Video shows baby being held upside down and a spring operated tool to manipulate the neck.

While this video looks fairly distressing, 32 years ago we were told to take our son to the chiropractor to help reduce the colic and reflux the poor little bugger was suffering.

It was Easter weekend, and he was not a happy little camper. Taking him to the chiropractor, he found his back was out in two places and almost instantaneously his crying ceased. His reflux settled down and life was a lot better. Easter Monday saw another trip and again the treatment helped immensely.

So this on the news isn’t new. It worked for us.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and Francie like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#2 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3248 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

You will always get 2 sides if not more to any medical argument. There is the traditional way and any number of “non traditional” practitioners but what works for one does not always work for anyone else. If you look at any of the Asian medicines they have been using these for 1000 years and seem to work.
I think if a baby is suffering from something that “traditional” methods don’t fix and the parents want to try non traditional methods then if it is safe and the parents are happy to try something then try it and if it works the parents will be happy but like most things do some research and go in with an open mind.
I think in 90% of cases parents want what’s good for the child in mind.
  • Turfers Paradise likes this

#3 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18092 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

You will always get 2 sides if not more to any medical argument. There is the traditional way and any number of “non traditional” practitioners but what works for one does not always work for anyone else. If you look at any of the Asian medicines they have been using these for 1000 years and seem to work.
I think if a baby is suffering from something that “traditional” methods don’t fix and the parents want to try non traditional methods then if it is safe and the parents are happy to try something then try it and if it works the parents will be happy but like most things do some research and go in with an open mind.

100% agree mate

#4 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

While this video looks fairly distressing, 32 years ago we were told to take our son to the chiropractor to help reduce the colic and reflux the poor little bugger was suffering.

It was Easter weekend, and he was not a happy little camper. Taking him to the chiropractor, he found his back was out in two places and almost instantaneously his crying ceased. His reflux settled down and life was a lot better. Easter Monday saw another trip and again the treatment helped immensely.

Look, im happy that whatever you did in the past has worked out.

That doesn't change the fact that chiropractic treatment is non-evidence based and is based on non-scientific methods that when tested show to have no effect.

https://sciencebased...e/chiropractic/

Manipulating the spine carries risk and at times, quite high risks. So how anyone could subject an infant to something that has been proven time and time again to have little to no effect but carries with it great risks i will never know.

So this on the news isn’t new. It worked for us.

You're right, it's certainly nothing new. That doesn't make it a valid treatment though.

I think it would pretty close to 100% of parents are doing what they think is best for the child. The problem is alternative medicines like chiro/acupuncture/homeopathy/etc are considered legitimate forms of medicine by a lot of the general public.

That's why its refreshing to finally start seeing some news outlets illustrating the potential dangers with partaking in pseudo based alternative practices.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Monty85, 01 March 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• Tochakka and Toph like this

| GolfLink 

#5 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

Monty85, are you a doctor or 'in the industry'? Not a loaded question, rather pure curiosity as your post is forthright in your obvious opinion. Just curious as where, how, you have arrived at your knowledge and opinion.

I know this can get so easily a flamed type of debate. That's not my intention.

#6 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

Monty85, are you a doctor or 'in the industry'? Not a loaded question, rather pure curiosity as your post is forthright in your obvious opinion. Just curious as where, how, you have arrived at your knowledge and opinion.

I know this can get so easily a flamed type of debate. That's not my intention.

I don't think i conveyed that much knowledge did I? :S

But no, im not in the medical industry but i have done a reasonable amount of research on the topic. A friend of mine was almost paralysed by a chiropractor several years ago after he got a misleading diagnosis by them and let them continue to manipulate the bones in his neck.

There is plenty of information out there on this topic though, The link i posted above will point anyone in the right direction to the actual peer reviewed studies rather than base any research from anecdotes read on forums. :)

Edited by Monty85, 01 March 2019 - 03:00 PM.

• Turfers Paradise and hack2489 like this

| GolfLink 

#7 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18092 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for your reply Monty. I prefer acupuncture myself and remedial treatments.
  • hack2489 likes this

#8 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5699 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:10 PM

I agree with Monte. Just couldn’t be bothered arguing.
By the way have NEVER ever heard of a chiro tell a patient “actually your spine is fine, don’t think I can do much for you”
  • Commish, CaNadiAn MiCk, Monty85 and 1 other like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#9 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1938 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

All good Monty.

C'mon Toph, as probably the only one here with sufficient actual knowledge, the argument will need you!

I reckon each to their own. What works for some, doesn't for others.

I like to manage my health by treating the cause not the symptom. Finding the cause sometimes needs an alternative approach.

My back for instance. Every MRI, CT scan etc shows nothing, but I know it f.uckin hurts. I know it restricts movement and I know it impacts other parts of my health (headaches, aching shoulders n neck, cognitive function). So, for me, I find Osteopathy works really well, and after a couple of treatments I'm on the road to recovery.

Chiropractic treatment never worked for me. In fact, many years ago when I was about 18 or 19 I was getting lots of headaches and had eyesight issues. Tried a chiropractor after my dr ruled out anything from a brain scan... Chiropractor cracked my neck and I immediately vomitted all over the place. Didn't fix my headache or eyesight, that came from a Naturopath diagnosis of low zinc, something the GP hadn't even considered.

#10 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for your reply Monty. I prefer acupuncture myself and remedial treatments.

Good stuff. Unfortunately acupuncture falls in the exact same category of quackery that chiro does though.

https://sciencebased...ce/acupuncture/

At least with acupuncture though you're only hurting your wallet.

And to quote Tim Minchin;

You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proved to work?

........Medicine.

| GolfLink 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users