#16 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:28 AM

for anyone looking for a cheaper ball I highly recomend srixon soft feel, it's long and straight, feels soft off the clubface and checks on greens, does not gave the same spin on short shots around the greens and is impacted by shots into the wind but in general is a very good cheap alternative.

Interesting that's your feedback.

I tested the Srixon Ultisoft at one stage against the Pro V1 and V1x. I found the same feeling, feedback as you describe... Soft, stopping ok, ok around greens, but, yes impacted by wind, even slightest headwind and it seemed to stall in the air...

On a number of drives, it was consistently shorter by 5 - 10m, so meant at least one, sometimes two club extra into a green, which I think also impacted stopping distance.

I was a fairly straight ball though, as over a number of test rounds, shots, it didn't seem to go as far off course left (draw, pull hook) or right (fade, push slice) for me.

#17 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5942 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:39 AM

The question for me is - how does the thinner cover stand up to the normal wear and tear or does it require replacement more often than previous models?

#18 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1701 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:10 AM

The question for me is - how does the thinner cover stand up to the normal wear and tear or does it require replacement more often than previous models?

Pro v1's have never been durable golf balls in my opinion but i only ever use one for 18 holes at most anyway.

• hack2489 likes this

| GolfLink 

#19 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:08 AM

Interesting that's your feedback.
I tested the Srixon Ultisoft at one stage against the Pro V1 and V1x. I found the same feeling, feedback as you describe... Soft, stopping ok, ok around greens, but, yes impacted by wind, even slightest headwind and it seemed to stall in the air...
On a number of drives, it was consistently shorter by 5 - 10m, so meant at least one, sometimes two club extra into a green, which I think also impacted stopping distance.
I was a fairly straight ball though, as over a number of test rounds, shots, it didn't seem to go as far off course left (draw, pull hook) or right (fade, push slice) for me.

Spot on, also on hard greens it will release a long way but definitely playable and if you lose balls or are on a budget worth a try, personaly i use them for practice when im playing a few balls, when its calm or the greens are soft when i want scoring power i revert back to a prov v purely for spin around the greens.
  • hack2489 likes this

#20 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19959 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

Best balls for mine of the current crop ....... 

Titleist AVX …. A bloody long and low flying ball, yet softish feel off the clubface, reasonable stopping power ... very pricey though.

Wilson FG Tour ….. Average to good in distance, with a very soft feel off every clubface driver thru wedge ……. and it's sticky as anything around the greens.

TM's TP5 & 5X .. They make bloody good golf balls, and yet, they still remain somewhat under-rated, despite being a lot more durable than say Pro V's.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#21 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

Pro V1 or V1x durability isn't, hasn't, ever been an issue for me.

I lose them often enough to never get 9 holes, let alone 18 out of a single ball.
  • madness, Birdie Blitz and Forrest Gardener like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users