• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gracekelly

gracekelly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

Hi, has anyone got any first hand experience of dealing with the suspension of a player due to conduct unbecoming on the course ? we have a situation and I am unsure how to deal with it. - 

Updated 08 Feb · 0 comments

#2 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

We've had one incident (that I know of) in the 38 years our club has been in operation, and it was handled according tot he club's written policy - includes notifications (in writing) of both the initial complaint, response by the "offender", and outcome determined by the Golf Board.  The policy includes an appeal process, which may include a hearing.  The appeal would be heard by an independent committee appointed by the Golf Board and cannot include anyone involved with the initial decision.

If the club doesn't have a written policy, they're on thin ice.

#3 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:03 AM

Yes I am on the board and we get 3-4 a year. Our constitution sets out a process and as slow and clunky as it is we just follow that. Hopefully you have something similar.

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#4 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

Same thoughts as Snappy, follow your by laws/constitution, don't just do, "what you think is right" or "what you believe the membership would want", you just end up on shifty ground if challenged.
  • Snappy McSnapperton likes this

#5 Member Status Pending

Member Status Pending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:53 AM

What did she do?

#6 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6896 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:38 AM

What did she do?

what has that got to do with the question being asked?

@all

I would agree with what Snappy , there is process for this kind of thing and it needs to be fair and just..

but most of all look at your  constitution of your club , it should explain the process you should follow.

it can be a tricky thing.  just trust your clubs process

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#7 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

Along the same lines as RoGolf and Snappy.

Investigation of the incident by the golf committee inc. documenting witness statements. Written notification to the offender outlining the incident and witness statements.

Appear before the Club board.

etc.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24880 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:14 PM

I agree with other's comments that you must foolow the procedure in your constitution.

It usually starts with a letter of warning that ... behaviour is unacceptable and a repeat will result in ...

It is unlikely that your constitution will allow for a suspension without following the warning procedures.

It may transpire that a suitable person might encourage the miscreant to take a leave of absence to 'sort theirself out' rather than smear their record with more formal procedures. Quite often, such a person will just run off to another club and your problem has literally gone away.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

I agree with other's comments that you must foolow the procedure in your constitution.

It usually starts with a letter of warning that ... behaviour is unacceptable and a repeat will result in ...

It is unlikely that your constitution will allow for a suspension without following the warning procedures.

It may transpire that a suitable person might encourage the miscreant to take a leave of absence to 'sort theirself out' rather than smear their record with more formal procedures. Quite often, such a person will just run off to another club and your problem has literally gone away.

You really mean passed on to another club?  Without any rehab or consequences for his behaviour?

Edited by rogolf, 08 February 2019 - 04:21 PM.

#10 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

As others have stated should be covered by constitution of club....

However

In our case we have 2 options

1 being constitution

2nd being local liquor accord of which we are a member of. Our liquor license covers not only the club but the entire course and as such an offense committed on course that is covered by liquor accord means that said person is banned immediately for a given period of time. the Board can then decide if further action in the means of what is available via constitution is appropriate.... 

Good luck

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

VTTP 006

#11 Member Status Pending

Member Status Pending

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

what has that got to do with the question being asked?

wasn't asking you princess 

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24880 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

You really mean passed on to another club?  Without any rehab or consequences for his behaviour?

Happens all the time.
Our state government require all clubs to have a constitution which conforms to their specified model rules. If it doesn't, then the model rules apply. There are various requirements about written warnings, mediation, appeals processes, etc. Clubs do their best to avoid the formal processes, lest solicitors need be involved.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#13 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:26 PM

Agree with all the advice on using Constitution or Articles of Association as the basis for proceeding. Usually the process is similar at most Clubs.
If it looks very tricky you might contact your State, Province, National Governing Golf Body for some advice.
My. Club did that with a particular incident several years ago.
The advice was good. I remember a few aspects.
Do not be really tough if the person is found guilty of Conduct Unbecoming. The person is still a Club Member and needs a lesson and a chance to atone.

Err on the light side. Remember prior problems not subject of any Board comment/action must be left aside.
There is often hearsay and coloured opinions around. Stick with facts of the specific unacceptable conduct.

#14 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:00 PM

The issue with someone who may breach club conduct or behaviour standards is unless there is a written statement regarding the incident it is easy for interpretation of what occurred to be lost somewhere between the truth and fiction.
If a written complaint is handed to the board outlining the issue/s and the constitution of the club has steps to follow then the member/visitor can be dealt with in a (hopefully) professional manner.
I would say to anyone ( and I could be wrong) if you witness an incident that is not acceptable don’t just tell committee members or board members about it, put it in writing and if more than 1 person witnesses the incident all who witnessed the incident should write down what happens but in their own words and not just a co signed letter.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

#15 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

wasn't asking you princess 

That's Mr. Princess Park to you, bigfella :)

The days of political correctness are here to stay. I enjoyed the old days when the squeaky wheel didn't get the oil !

Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 10 February 2019 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users