Photo

Will There Be A Change To The Rules After Ricky's Incident?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

For anyone that doesn't know what happened.

I have no issues with the ruling. The decision makes perfect sense in reference to the rules.

It seems this sort of thing is what a lot of the new rule changes were trying to get away from though.

So I wonder if this will bring this scenario (surely not the first time its happened) under review.

I wonder what the feeling would be like if it happened the other way around. So place the ball and then after 10 seconds it rolls towards the hole and leaves a tap in.

| GolfLink 

#2 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15516 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

Holy Cow. That is an insane finish to a tournament. I guess you need to take a look then drop.
I wonder how many players would have recovered to win after something like that?
  • Monty85 and Forrest Gardener like this

18.4 by June  2019  - 1.6 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

#3 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39504 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

You would have, Micky.

You would have.

Heart of a lion 😉

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18 | NTP YM 12th hole 24/2/19

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#4 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15661 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

I have no issues with the ruling. The decision makes perfect sense in reference to the rules.

It seems this sort of thing is what a lot of the new rule changes were trying to get away from though.

So I wonder if this will bring this scenario (surely not the first time its happened) under review.

I wonder what the feeling would be like if it happened the other way around. So place the ball and then after 10 seconds it rolls towards the hole and leaves a tap in.

This rule got rescinded for this event, but poor guy last week gets the penalty and costs him $100k.

https://www.golf.com...-rescinds-rule/

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#5 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:02 PM

This rule got rescinded for this event, but poor guy last week gets the penalty and costs him $100k.

https://www.golf.com...-rescinds-rule/

I think it was just the penalty which was rescinded and not the rule but the fact that any rules official thought that either this penalty or last week's penalty were justified suggests that the rule is very poorly drafted.

It was apparently intended to stop the unattractive practice on the ladies tour where the caddies were actually confirming alignment to the players when they were setting up to play their shots

Just another case of a committee setting out to design a horse and ending up with a camel.

And then there was the player who dropped a ball whilst squatting down.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 04 February 2019 - 09:03 PM.

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#6 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:22 PM

Like the Fat-Phil putting incident last year, Fowler didn't fully consider all of his options before taking the drop on that severe down slope.

He could have taken a drop from where he originally played, before he hit it into the water.

Might have been a stroke saving option versus what happened and the extra penalty without even getting to make a stroke at the ball.

Jon...     

#7 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:33 PM

Like the Fat-Phil putting incident last year, Fowler didn't fully consider all of his options before taking the drop on that severe down slope.

He could have taken a drop from where he originally played, before he hit it into the water.

Might have been a stroke saving option versus what happened and the extra penalty without even getting to make a stroke at the ball.

Jon...     

Agreed, and his initial choice of a low spinning chip wasn't great either. Then again he probably did not perceive any risk when he hit it.

After the debacle wasn't it a great up and down for triple? And a great win after bogeying the next hole as well?

What a great memory to have if he ever screws up leading a tournament again. All he has to do is think to himself that he can win no matter what.

Golflink

#8 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

There won't be a Rules change.  The Rules do their utmost to treat similar situations alike.

#9 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3187 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:18 AM

I can't get the link to work.

Any alternatives please

#10 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

I can't get the link to work.

Any alternatives please

So i think my link went a bit strange. The incident i was referring to was the triple bogey Fowler made in the final round in the Waste Management Tournament.

https://www.golf.com...ey-rare-ruling/

After taking relief from a ball in a penalty area he placed his ball after 2 drop attempts. About 10 seconds later, Fowler's ball rolled back in to the penalty area. This meant he had to take relief "again" and drop the ball (with another penalty) again.

| GolfLink 

#11 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:18 AM

Jon...     

You really don't think he didn't think what he was doing through?

These clowns don't walk off the tee without evaluating every step.

I'm certain both RIcky and his Caddie considered the drop from down there was the better option considering what happened with his original chip up the green. The first shot wasn't a poorly played shot, the green (due to the water on it) wasn't holding shots and the balls were skidding on.

| GolfLink 

#12 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1700 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:20 AM

It was apparently intended to stop the unattractive practice on the ladies tour where the caddies were actually confirming alignment to the players when they were setting up to play their shots

Just another case of a committee setting out to design a horse and ending up with a camel.

And then there was the player who dropped a ball whilst squatting down.

I agree, What happened with Li last week wasn't the situation the rule change was intended for. However, they have to draw the line somewhere and unfortunately Li did break the rule.

What was wrong with dropping while crouching? I actually thought that was one of the less ridiculous ways i've seen of doing it.

| GolfLink 

#13 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

I agree, What happened with Li last week wasn't the situation the rule change was intended for. However, they have to draw the line somewhere and unfortunately Li did break the rule.

What was wrong with dropping while crouching? I actually thought that was one of the less ridiculous ways i've seen of doing it.

Having looked at the Li video I don't think he did break the rule. The problem is that the rule is so poorly drafted that it cannot be interpreted objectively. It relies on subjective opinion.

Crouching changes the height of the knee just as much as it would change the height of the shoulder in the old days. That's another rule change stuff up.

There was talk of including an intention test into several rules. I'm not sure how many rules were eventually infected with that particular brand of subjective madness.

Golflink

#14 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

From another site: showing the drop was from the correct height.

Attached Files

Edited by rogolf, 05 February 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#15 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

There won't be a Rules change.  The Rules do their utmost to treat similar situations alike.

Sometimes the rules do not achieve the intention of those who draft them. My best guess is that the powers that be will issue what used to go in the decisions book.

Golflink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users