7 replies to this topic

#1 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

To the Royal Canberra Members out there, does the Clubhouse have a gym?

My brother is returning to Canberra (where we grew up, went to Uni etc) and considering joining as he is a good player, however his wife is a beginner, thus he is thinking that if the Clubhouse has a gym / pool, it would be more attractive for their family to join.

He knows plenty of members and the $ isn't an issue.

Advice much appreciated, thanking you all

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreater Queanbeyan

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:01 PM

Nope. So far as I'm aware Gold Creek is the only course in the area with a gym. Not sure about a pool, or what the gym subsidy is for golfing members.

Bear in mind GC is on the far north so if he's living on the southside or Queanbeyan with the enlightened people he may wish to explore other options. Plus you'd want a cart at GC due to the silly layout. All that said, I'm told that Troon is doing good things since they took over management of the course a couple of years back.

At the better end of the Canberra golfing scene Federal has a development application which may, subject to local government approval, see some benefits flow through to members in time. Best fairways in Canberra at the moment. Royal is struggling with a mismanaged couch eradication program that has wrecked most of the recently renovated fairways. They'll sort it out in time but at the moment you would be pretty disappointed with the condition vs the hefty joining and subscription fee. Queanbeyan is always well presented and has great, fast greens but can induce claustrophobia to beginners. Yowani is a good layout and is a nice walk but bunkers are terrible.

Good luck.
  • Proulx likes this

#3 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Nope. So far as I'm aware Gold Creek is the only course in the area with a gym. Not sure about a pool, or what the gym subsidy is for golfing members.

Bear in mind GC is on the far north so if he's living on the southside or Queanbeyan with the enlightened people he may wish to explore other options. Plus you'd want a cart at GC due to the silly layout. All that said, I'm told that Troon is doing good things since they took over management of the course a couple of years back.

At the better end of the Canberra golfing scene Federal has a development application which may, subject to local government approval, see some benefits flow through to members in time. Best fairways in Canberra at the moment. Royal is struggling with a mismanaged couch eradication program that has wrecked most of the recently renovated fairways. They'll sort it out in time but at the moment you would be pretty disappointed with the condition vs the hefty joining and subscription fee. Queanbeyan is always well presented and has great, fast greens but can induce claustrophobia to beginners. Yowani is a good layout and is a nice walk but bunkers are terrible.

Good luck.

I played Federal a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It doesn't have a real postcard hole but also doesn't have a weak hole. Would gladly play there on a regular basis and very playable for the masses.

• Proulx and Schmuck like this

#4 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

Can't help you on the gym front, I am back from playing Federal and RC on the weekend.

Really enjoyed Federal, as above there are no weak holes.

RC, whilst I always enjoy the layout, jeez they have some conditioning issues at the moment which IMHO aren't likely to be solved in the near term. Apparently they are trying to eradicate the couch from the bent, there are massive brown patches (the size of helipads) all over the course.
  • Schmuck and madness like this

#5 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

Appreciate the advice guys, thank you

Good luck.

#6 Schmuck

Schmuck

B grade Chopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11122 posts
  • LocationThat's me behind the GOAT

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:49 PM

Federal is one of my favorite all time courses...
Nothing makes sense, except GOATS, they ALWAYS make sense

Ever noticed that Ducks swagger?

I am only half trying

"Be brave if you lose and meek if you win"

#7 tprmc78

tprmc78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

Biased here as a Federal member but they have the course dialled since the change to Sanna Anna fairways

#8 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3650 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users