454 replies to this topic

#451 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

Yes I used two new balls. One was a Forte' SS2 , the other a SS3.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#452 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

Coach Harry and I went out this morning for a practice on the back 9 at Portland. The back 9 is somewhat harder to play than the front, especially when the wind is howling from the SE. Today it was warm and a pleasant 10 kph E wind, but a lot of dew on the grass making for even less roll than is usual.

Today I wanted to work on direction for my 4W tee shots. I seem to be able to fade them easily with this club and keep good distance, whereas my Driver fades lose a lot of distance. Hole #10 my tee shot went where I aimed it. I pre- closed the club face a tad more and swung through, so the ball started left of target and faded back in. Being the first shot I didn't try for distance and it went 178m. My GPS was indicating that I should have been able to reach the green with a 5i, but really it wasn't the right club choice. I was on my limit and pulled it left, into the rough. I used my distance card and bumped a 40 m 9i onto the green for a bogey ( 2 putts)

Hole #11 is a par 3 about 150 m . I tried my 5i again of the tee with a draw shape, this time extending towards right of target. That is where it went and didn't draw back.  Coach Harry gave me a serious glare to remind me to close the club face more ( bloody know all). I did a 23 m LW shot and 2 putts for another bogey.

Hole #12 I tried a Driver fade ( short at 162m) and it went a bit right. Arccos told me I missed the fairway, but I hadn't it was out of the rough by metres. I was 190m from the back of the green on the par 4, the ball was on a grassy lie sittin gup, saying hit me please. Not to disappoint it , I gave it a wack with the 4 wood. The ball went straight at the green , then faded off to the right. Note to self: close the club face a tad more. I was pin high, just short of the bunker, so I put a LW shot on and 2 putts for bogey. The good part was the 4W shot  off the deck looked good, but went too far right off the club.

Hole #13 I set of for a Driver draw shape ( check 192m), then a 3H 144 m fade ( a bit short) , so I had to fade a 9i around the " tree" on the corner. GIR !!!and 2 putts for a par.

Hole#14 I hit a 185m Draw shape over the dam to the centre of fairway. Repeat; just in case you missed it, I hit the centre of the fairway with my Driver! I had 150 m to the back of the green/ 135m to the centre (flag) . I tried a high fade 7i and it fell on the front verge of the green ( should have hit 6i) . The back of this hole is a bad miss area, leaving a down hill putt. I did the GW putt-chip and got down in one putt. Par.

Hole #15 I did another good draw with Driver 186 m, then pulled my 7i left (see a pattern here yet?) and a LW on and 2 putts for Bogey.

Hole #16 I faded a 164 m 4W to position ( short but accurate) then a 5 W draw arounf the " tree" on the corner, then another 4W off the deck into the wind that went about 180m.  I used the LW to get on, but could have used the SW for a few metres more run.  A bogey 6.

Heading down wind now on #17 I used the 4W off the tee and actually rolled the ball into the mound on the outside of the dogleg. It went 191m!  It started left and faded back to centre. By George I think I have got it!

I hit a 7i draw but really didn't strike it well. It rolled up to the green and rolled off again on the right. I putt-chipped it clos with the GW, then did an agent 86 putt. It rolled with authority on line to the hole , then stopped 1/2 roll short. Missed it by that much!

Coach Harry was looking more like Dirty Harry by now, with his white under carriage wet and dirty. Anyway he was having a good time and there were no Koalas for him to molest this time. We went over to hole #18 . I hit another good faded 4W and it finished just on the front of the green. My first putt left a tracer line in the dew, but stopped 8 feet short. I lined up the next putt and thought it only has to go that far, looked at the ball and stroked it with confidence and a square putter . This golf is getting easier. Another par.

So a 42 half round, no double bogeys for once.I hit the fairway 8/9 hole sand the miss was only just right. 8 two putts, one 1 putt and no 3 putts. 

• Bogey Golfer likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#453 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9961 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:15 PM

sadly it might be your last round for a while from what I am hear on the grapevines 

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 27 March 2020 - 07:18 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#454 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

It looks as if you are right. Social distancing issues, no doubt. It is a pity that the courses are closed to all play, even solo practice rounds.

#455 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:03 AM

Cold,wet and windy weather has arrived. I have been soldiering on with a head cold for a week, working outside painting my picket fences and preparing the west side wall for painting ( 60 M square area). Thankfully I have a portable scaffold to work from, so not much climbing of ladders occurred. All that is delayed until the weather clears.

Time for some back yard golf practice. I will start with chipping, pitches and lobs, trying to hit my designated spot ( little net). The petrol station next door is being demolished before a complete revamp, so if I bang a few too far it won't matter when it is vacant.

I am going to experiment with the PRGR launch monitor trying to work out what swing speed feels like a 25/50/75/100% swing, putting a number to the feel. It should keep me amused for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users