#31 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

Next Sunday I will have my fist experience 😲 with match play πŸ€”...

Ah, mads, clean up in aisle two!

Think we've found who's been clicking on the swarmy love stuff πŸ™„

Edited by hack2489, 08 March 2019 - 08:33 PM.

#32 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

We had a lovely day playing the Portland course in sunshine at 20 C. 

I have to admit I was playing on cold and flu capsules ( performance enhancing drugs) for the persistent Boeing flu. Luckily I had the use of a motorized cart today so my usual fall off on the last 9 didn't happen. Score 95 ; 34 points. Too many 6 scores for my liking. My driving was pretty good accuracy wise , if not distance. Hybrid shots worked well, iron shots were erratic direction wise (left of target) , pitch and chips generally too short. Only one 3 putt.

The match play experiment went well. I won six holes, Tony won 6 holes and we halved six holes.

• aligolfing likes this

#33 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

Ah, mads, clean up in aisle two!

Think we've found who's been clicking on the swarmy love stuff

Oops that sounds a bit kinky !

Note to self: edit before posting to eliminate/reduce typos. I meant first experience, not fist .

• hack2489 likes this

#34 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:04 AM

Oops that sounds a bit kinky !
Note to self: edit before posting to eliminate/reduce typos. I meant first experience, not fist .

Hmmm ... Yeah, well, ah, if read in the same, ah ... Context? This sounds a bit, hmmm, ah, sordid? too...

"The match play experiment went well. I won six holes, Tony won 6 holes and we halved six holes."

😲

#35 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

I did some revision on the rule of 12 for chipping distance. I think I will need to practice lobbing a ball on the target zone, which is a feel thing. 

Yesterday I tried using my calculations sheet of distance each club will run with a 8/4 o'clock swing. It was out by about 5 metres long, either because my swing was > 8-4 or my landing zone was hard. I managed to run through a few greens with my approach shots, so I think it is more likely that the course is drying out. 

Putting error was mainly on line, but too short from about 10 foot out. I was getting good top spin roll ( continuous line on the ball) so I expect I was too tentative strike wise. I picked up a tip from You Tube this morning that worked on my putting carpet strip fro strike measuring. I will try it out tomorrow.

Today i am heading out to Mt. Clay for cross training on the mountain bike trails. It will be slow but that suits my current health status. 

• Weetbix likes this

#36 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Hmmm ... Yeah, well, ah, if read in the same, ah ... Context? This sounds a bit, hmmm, ah, sordid? too...

"The match play experiment went well. I won six holes, Tony won 6 holes and we halved six holes."

Elevate your mind above your navel and the problem is solved!

• hack2489 likes this

#37 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:19 AM

I am going out this morning with a colleague who is just starting in golf. He needs a few more rounds before his handicap is determined. 

I will be working on my short game. It is my area of weakness, as I am hitting fairways with my tee shots about 90% of the time ( not long but accurate) , my intermediate shots with hybrids are working ( I leave the 3 wood for tighter  tee shots) , and my longer iron shots are getting closer to straight ( they drawer left of target/ I am allowing for that with aim now).

Getting my pitch shots, longer chips on the green ,closer to the pin is where I need to concentrate my efforts. This should take the pressure off my putter. I have been working on distance control inside 10 feet with my putter. I am not too bad with aim/ green reading, except on those holes where I cannot read it at all. Maybe it is straight? So I aim at the hole and take what happens.

Just for a bit of fun, I will be playing over at Mt. Gambier's Blue Lake course while my car is being serviced. It is a nice undulating course on the outer side of the volcano. 

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#38 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:03 PM

Have you ever noticed that when you play with people more skilled than you are, that you gravitate towards their level, and vice versa?

9 holes this morning with my Brazilian mate and my long game went to ****. He is a great tennis player, but tends to be all power and arms rather than rhythm and rotation. I spent too much time trying to point him in the right direction and as a consequence my usual steady  game down the fairway went out the window. I taught him a 5 iron punch shot drawer method to get back onto the fairway. He used it to great effect on the last hole, bending one around a tree and onto the edge of the green. Nadal would have been proud of him.

Still my interest was on approach shots and putting. I am pleased to report that I was way better with chip and run distance estimation. My putting distance estimation was good. My misses over ran by 300 mm only. I even put a 6 iron tee shot on a par 3 145m to within 300 mm of the pin! I missed the birdie putt though! I was tentative with the downhill putt and it trickled to the right edge and went around the edge and didn't drop in.

Progress!

• aligolfing and hack2489 like this

#39 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

Today my man flu felt a bit better so I slipped out to the course with Harry. Harry is my canine caddie.

I wanted to trial a set up I saw on You Tube. I have been mucking about with the single plane swing concept, mainly to see if it could assist me in becoming more consistent. My idea was that using single length irons and a single plane swing should help me make up for my lack of experience and lack of flexibility / impending old age.

I had been using Steve Johnston's Eureka style set up for straight shots and drawers and Shawn Clement's set up for fades. The fade is easier for me, but there are times when it is not the ideal shot. On occasion I have blocked these non- fade shots out to the right with a bit of fade shape. 

I tried Graves Golf Academy's  training in how to be a clone of Moe Norman and it just felt strange. Today I tried Kirk Junge's variation of the single plane swing  method and it worked very well in both distance and accuracy. I had to back off my right hand grip a little to avoid hooking my iron shots. Maybe now I will be able to land more tee shots in the middle of fairways, rather than the edges and light rough! I was getting the ball into play before, but not always were I had intended it to go.

I am still trying to get over the Boeing flu. Hopefully on Friday I can get a game in at Mt.Gambier. I have two games in the semi-finals of D grade at the local club champs on Sunday. I was able to pick up a second hand golf cart in Geelong last week, so assuming I make it through the first game "victorious", I can't blame fatigue for losing game 2.

• hack2489 likes this

#40 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

While my car was being serviced Tony and I played a match at Mt. Gambier Blue Lake course. The course was in great conditions, with the exception of the non sand bunkers (hard dirt). Tony is a very methodical C grade player. On the front 9 I managed to finish two holes up. After lunch ( no beer) we felt a bit sluggish and took a while to get back into the game. I threw one hole away with sculling a ball out of a bunker and on the last  hole my drive was atrocious ending under a bushy shrub. It came down to the last putt, but ever steady Tony dropped it in with authority. We ended up even again.

It was good experience to show me that grinding away when behind on a hole can pay dividends. It also showed me that I need to check the bunkers before playing a high bounce wedge.

#41 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

The very methodical ex-C grade player I was paired with managed to kick my butt. He wasn't long but straight and a good chipper. He had played match play for club championships a few times. It showed.

My game was not terrible, but not on song. He won 5 of the front none to my zero. I finally won a hole but it was too late. what can I say, it was a learning experience.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Tochakka like this

#42 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Review time:

It was evident to me that my opponent was better at playing bogey golf that I was. That was his strength, playing straight and chipping/putting well. He more or less was forcing me to try for pars to beat him. I knew I was a longer hitter than he was, so I tried to hit more greens in regulation ( one less shot than him) but I was trying to hit too hard. 

Later in the day I went out and tried hitting my tee shots and fairway shots at say 80 % effort. Much better outcomes.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users