#211 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43152 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

You can pretty much do anything in a penalty area you can do anywhere else on the course these days

For those downslope chips I aim for the ground just behind the ball and feel like I'm trying to hit it just a little fat - helps me get the club moving down with her slope

The upslopes are tricky - good thought to use less loft knowing the ball will come out higher than usual for the club

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#212 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

I assume you lose a point anyway for ending up in the penalty area, even of you don't take a drop.

My error in these situations was the failure to brush the turf before takng the shot. PSR went out the window!

I need to  practise these shots before Monday. We are playing Beaufort  golf club at a Vets District comp. It is a undulating course, with a few banks around the greens. No doubt I will end up on a few of them.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#213 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43152 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:45 PM

Nope - penalty only if you take a drop - that's why you see the pros hitting out of the water sometimes

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#214 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

Time to get the rule book out again. Thanks Weetbix. Had I known that I could have saved 3 shots, and beaten Tony ( he got me by one).

We drove down to Beaufort ( 5 hours towing the van) yesterday. The Caravan park is opposite the golf-bowls club. I had a walk around the front nine to check it out in the dying sunlight of evening. There is a fair bit of slope on the fairways. The grass coverage is average. It is still soft and wet anywhere low. 

Today we zipped home for 2 days to assist with childcare. I did slip out to the course to practise bump and run shots at 40 m and 10 m. Chipping off sloped areas was tried with mixed success. I got better once I focussed on a targetlanding  area rather than the pin.

My new putter ( Ping Sigma 2 Valor model) was fun to use when I extended the handle out to maximum (36inch).  It has Port Power colours, so I know it will be a winner!!!!

Tomorrow I want to practice shot shaping with tne SL Hybrid 19. I was getting too much draw, almost hook last game. Hitting it off a wetter, soft fairway will help prepare me for Beaufort. 

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#215 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

I went out to practice but got influenced to play in the Friday arvo MM Rotarian comp.

So with no warm up and in gale like winds we hit off. My drive almost went too far and a bit right ( wind)  so I was hitting out of the light rough on the dog leg left.  The little SL hybrid didn't let me down as I hit straight into the wind and just short. The lob 58 popped it onto the green so I could unleash " Shirley" ( after my late Mum). When she was alive Shirley was a force to be reckoned with, so I figured the name would suit my new Ping putter. Well it went a bit far ( much like Mum at times) and I three  putted after grazing the right edge. Score 6.

Hole two drive was a ripper. I tried for a fade on shot #2 with the hybrid, but over did it a bit right and short. The 58 lobbed it on, but leaving a long uphill putt. I missed and another 3 putt!

( mental note: this putter hits longer/ reduced force needed)

Hole 3 tee shot draw down the middle again. 4 wood shot went a bit right. & iron into green accurate , pin high but it rolled off the green. Chipped it back on and two putted. Bogey 6. It is a steep green and short putts can bring a grown man to tears; luckily my wife told me that if I hadn't grown up by 60, I didn't have to.

Hole 4 I mucked up the tee shot short left. Mishit pure and simple. I tried to curve a ball around the corner but just hit the corner tree ( tad closed on the club face) . Shot three ( PW) between the trees landed 1 m short and in the bunker ( darn, I was debating whether to use a PW or a 9). Bunker shot looked as if there was some sand there so I used the 64 lob and popped it onto the green (call me  ISGPhil). Putt #1 just missed and  #2 dropped. Score 6 / DB( this is getting repetitive)

Hole 5 ( 200 m par 3) Wind increasing right to left. I put the drive out to the right and waited for the wind to bring it back. Nothing!  Taking my medicine I popped it out and then lobbed it on. and two putts. Score 5 DB.

Hole 6 .( dog leg right par 4. )  Drive down the middle and the wind caught it and pushed it right into the trees ( aka Valley of Death). Fickle wind!  I took a gamble and used a low 7 iron behind the tree grove, parallel to the dogleg and then 58 full shot over the trees into the green for 3. Two putts and a 5 ( not a 6 at last)

Hole 7 the wind pushed my drive right behind a tree. I bumped it out with a 5 iron. I took my medicine Old Bogey! The SL hybrid worked again getting me within attack distance. The SW iron shot fell on the green verge. Two putts and I had a bogey 6.

Hole 8 par 3 downhill to the green 125m. Wind right to left. My 7 iron 90% swing went straight at the pin until the wind got it. It ended up 10 m left of the green pin high in deep grass. The green from that position sloped down hill a lot. I thought options were to bump a PW shot into the mound protecting the green edge and roll it over and let it run down to the hole, or to use my 64  and lob it high over the mound and let it roll down. Well ISGPhil chose the latter and ( are you ready for this) I did it. LOB just over the mound, roll down the hill and birdie!!!!!! I know , fluke !

Hole 9 par 4 dogleg slight right with a tree on the right protecting the green if you end up right side.  I faded my drive to the middle, fatted my 5 iron shot, lob 58 on and two putts. 5! 

Score 49: not bad considering no warm up and howling winds.

I am feeling more confident with the SL hybrid now. Shirley performed well once I got used to her power. I only mucked up one 58 lob wedge shot ( thin) and still feel as if my posture is a bit fragile still during full swings.

• Weetbix likes this

#216 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Today a group of Glenelg Golf Veterans Association members played at Beaufort Golf club in preparation for the Veterans Associations challenge match over the next two days. We have entered two 3 man teams. Each team has a lower, mid and high handicapper. We have an exhaustive selection procedure. " Who wants to play at Beaufort?" It seems some of the city based Associations select the best six players based on recent results.

The course was in good condition generally, but some greens could be a bit smoother. Water is the issue. Too much in winter and not enough is summer. It is a pretty  and undulating course, which has a few sand bunkers with actual sand in them!

I had a good day. Score 88 ( par 70) and 38 points. Not everything went well, but I scrambled back out of trouble a few times.

• Weetbix likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users