34 replies to this topic

#1 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15665 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:14 AM

A LOT of European pros say they’ve witnessed cheating during tournament rounds

When it comes to cheating on the golf course, not even the pros are perfect.

GOLF recently polled 34 European Tour players for the latest edition of our Anonymous Pro Survey, and 45 percent of them said they have witnessed a fellow player cheat during a tournament round.

Those numbers are surprisingly similar to what we found on the PGA Tour. Conducting the same survey on the PGA Tour last year, 44 percent said they had witnessed a fellow pro cheat.

The European Tour players were also asked if they had ever personally broken a rule and not reported it, and only 3 percent admitted to doing so (although not as a pro).

“When I was 11 and it still bothers me,” one said.

“No, I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night,” said another.

In the previous poll, not one PGA Tour pro admitted to having broken a rule without reporting it.

The complete “Anonymous Pro Survey: European edition” comes out on Tuesday. Thirty-four pros, including Ryder Cuppers and major winners, dish on Tiger Woods, the Ryder Cup, annoying American players and more.

Do you think they cheat on purpose or lack of knowledge of the rules? We do that with driving a car all the time, luckily dont get called out on it.

Is this happening in local competitions?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#2 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Lot of players might inadvertently "cheat" due to lack of knowledge of the rules..... group I usually play with a fair knowledge of the rules but we are only human ..... if in doubt we put a second ball in play and consult the block of flats post round.....

Biggest and hardest to police form of cheating is sand bagging, handicap manipulation, deliberately  throwing off, call it what you want but it is the biggest blight on the game. The scramble has an awful lot to answer for

• CaNadiAn MiCk and madness like this

VTTP 006

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42608 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

I'm sure there would be things like replacing the ball further in front of your marker, taking your stance in a way that gets some branches or grass out of the way of your swing, thing like that where you're not deliberately cheating but not thinking about what you're doing critically.

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#4 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5842 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

This game can wear down a golfer during a bad spell and or when he can't seem to get a break (a favourable bounce or deflection, bad lies etc). There is a temptation during these spells to even it up a bit. Golf can be a cruel game - some players have difficulties handling the perverseness of the game.

#5 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

There is a massive amount of "cheating" happening in club comps, it's largely harmless stuff done by blokes who are handicapped to their level of rules knowledge.

I love these pros, they've all seen someone cheat yet nobody reported it, nobody refused to sign a card and none of them had actually done it themselves...…..great.

One of the best examples of professionally sanctioned cheating was Jimmy Walkers comment that he "backstopped" for players he liked.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie, Goldy and 2 others like this

#6 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15665 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

There is a massive amount of "cheating" happening in club comps, it's largely harmless stuff done by blokes who are handicapped to their level of rules knowledge.

I love these pros, they've all seen someone cheat yet nobody reported it, nobody refused to sign a card and none of them had actually done it themselves...…..great.

One of the best examples of professionally sanctioned cheating was Jimmy Walkers comment that he "backstopped" for players he liked.

Latest on backstopping  https://www.golf.com...e-frank-nobilo/

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#7 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10321 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

I've played a round with an Iseeker who insisted on getting a free drop out of a roo print when he was in the bunker.

Despite his ranting and railing, and quite honestly, open bullying, my friends and I stood our ground and did not give in.

I even got footgage of the event if anyone was interested in watching....

• The good Egg, BarnEsy05, CaNadiAn MiCk and 9 others like this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#8 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5905 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

Hahahahahaha
  • madness likes this

#9 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

This game can wear down a golfer during a bad spell and or when he can't seem to get a break (a favourable bounce or deflection, bad lies etc). There is a temptation during these spells to even it up a bit. Golf can be a cruel game - some players have difficulties handling the perverseness of the game.

I know exactly what you mean, at the end of my round on the weekend Weets was marking my card and he asked if I had a 5 on the last as he was about to write that down. I told him that I had a 6, but the way I was going it would have been very easy to just say 'yep' and move along. 

• RobNewy likes this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#10 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39505 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

I've played a round with an Iseeker who insisted on getting a free drop out of a roo print when he was in the bunker.

Despite his ranting and railing, and quite honestly, open bullying, my friends and I stood our ground and did not give in.

I even got footgage of the event if anyone was interested in watching....

It's Groove's reaction that is truly priceless.

• GhettoGolfer, BumpunGrind, CaNadiAn MiCk and 1 other like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18 | NTP YM 12th hole 24/2/19

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#11 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

Latest on backstopping  https://www.golf.com...e-frank-nobilo/

Sort of understand where they're coming from but at what distance does it become "backstopping"? 30m, 50m, 100m? whats the difference?  

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 6.4 on 31/3/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#12 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

SO that is what it is called Sandbagging! When I play quite well one game and almost break 90 , then next game I am struggling to avoid 100+, I thought it was just lack of skill, lack of concentration and poor physical conditioning.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#13 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15665 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Sort of understand where they're coming from but at what distance does it become "backstopping"? 30m, 50m, 100m? whats the difference?  

When player can easily reach ball to mark it?

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#14 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

When player can easily reach ball to mark it?

But if we're trying to speed up play surely if the next players ready (Prof or am comps) he should be able to go?

• CaNadiAn MiCk and The B T like this

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 6.4 on 31/3/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#15 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

VIS and golf Australia elite player has been reported numerous times... nothing happens.
Last one- he played someone else’s ball from a different fairway which was clearly marked, went to the bushes for a wizz. He was followed and the other players ball was found in the spot. He went on to win the event and the scoring average for ivo whitton.
Butttt you can’t make the state team player look bad so let it go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users