11 replies to this topic

#1 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Well it eventually arrived today. Well I should say they arrived. I ordered one a few weeks ago and they sent me a LH club in error, so my son in law has that one. Today I received two RH wedges. Either they were contrite about their error , or their store man is a dope head. I gave the extra one to a mate. Perhaps they are  trying to promote the product!

Anyway I took it out to the course and mucked about with it.

Despite their claim that you can't chunk a shot with the C3i , you can if you try hard enough. I was trying to see how far it would go with a thin hit.

Compared to my 60 degree /10 degree bounce I found it better getting out of deep grass lies, downhill greens chips held better, easier out of hard surface bunkers and generally just easier. Harder full pitch shots spun a lot and stopped after one bounce. It should be good during winter in softer conditions.

It does nothing that you can do with opening the face of a 60 degree wedge, if you are skilled enough. I am still hit and miss with this estimating distances when the loft is increased.

The concept of a wide soled lob wedge is not new. This one seems to work at a reasonable price.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#2 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

I went out again to the course and played a few holes. I used the C3i from the deep rough to a downhill green sloping away from me. It was about 30 m shot. I hit at it hard and the ball came out flew high and landed on the edge of the green and rolled about 1.5 m toward the hole. Wow I like this club!  For this shot I hit about 2 cm behind the ball

I tested it with a full  hit at the ball ( not behind it as C3i suggest) and I managed distances of 45 m +/- 3 m. It went high and stopped after one bounce.

Later I was above a downhill sloping green and a bunker between me and the green. I hit a 1/2 shot ( 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock ) and it floated up and over the bunker, hit the green and rolled down toward the hole. It made me look good!

The I tried it out of thick rough using a chipping type stroke. I found out that if it is sitting high in the grass you need to de-loft the club or it goes straight underneath the ball and you get very little distance. If it is sitting down low,you have to swing harder than your think prudent and aim 2 cm behind the ball and out she comes.

Chipping near the green I think is a matter of touch. It goes so high I thought it wasn't sensible to use it unless the pin was close to the edge of the green. Up hill I thought my 56 degree was more accurate than the de-lofted 65. Downhill it was the opposite. I could get my 56 to track near the hole, but struggled to stop it rolling through, even  with opening the blade more.

So in summary, I like this lob wedge more than my previous Cleveland RTX 60. It is easier to use. The worse the lie, the more it makes sense to use this rather than the 56 degree. For a beginner whose main objective is to hit the green,rather than aim at being near the pin, this thing is great inside 40 m.

I tested it out of every bunker on our course ( hard surface/little sand) and I got out of every one.

The C3i comes in 56 and 59 degrees too. I have no financial interest in this company, but if you want a very easy to use wedge this could be for you.

Edited by xrman1954, 11 January 2019 - 11:55 AM.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#3 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9670 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

Dancer  an ISG vic player uses C31 65 deg from bunkers.

he has gone from a poor bunker with standard 56 deg cleveland wedge (hitlers or thin blades almost every time)  to getting out of bunker 8/10 with C31.

This product is similar to the Alien wedge. 

best result is if you leave face square, not designed to open face and use bounce.

excellent from soft fluffy lies out of rough around greens and in most sand types

shouldnt try to hit and not desigend to hit full shots from fairway.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

Dancer  an ISG vic player uses C31 65 deg from bunkers.

he has gone from a poor bunker with standard 56 deg cleveland wedge (hitlers or thin blades almost every time)  to getting out of bunker 8/10 with C31.

This product is similar to the Alien wedge. 

best result is if you leave face square, not designed to open face and use bounce.

excellent from soft fluffy lies out of rough around greens and in most sand types

shouldnt try to hit and not desigend to hit full shots from fairway.

#5 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

is this the same 'Dancer' off 26 as per the race to thread?

#6 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

I got this

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12156 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

80% of the time, it works every time

• Francie likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner
2017 Vic ISG Goldy Trophy Runner Up
2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
2018 ISG National Champion*
2018 Stink/GPJ Trophy Winner Gardiners Run OOM
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#7 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9670 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

is this the same 'Dancer' off 26 as per the race to thread?

same playa

which is why he needs to use game improvement clubs like the C31 to help improve his game.

Edited by Can Break 80, 11 January 2019 - 02:51 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#8 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

It is a confidence inspiring club for a beginner. In my case I won't be thinking, " Can I get out of this bunker and keep it on the green?" or " Can i get out of this long grass and make some distance" . 

I don't see mid to low handicappers wanting the 65 degree wedge. In some ways I would have been more sensible if I had bought the 59 degree wedge, but on the website they only offer you that and the 55/54? after you purchase the 65 as a three for two deal.

You can hit this wedge with a full shot, but you have to put it back in the stance and hit down so you don't engage the bounce. I am thinking you would have to have a good reason for wanting to do so rather than using a less lofted club. 

#9 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

I used the C3i 65 degree in a game last week. It saved my bacon a few times, such as having to get out of long grass, over a bunker and on to a down sloping green. It worked well , although it did run out past the pin a few feet. I am pretty sure that my 56 would have either not gone far enough or gone too far, depending upon the wedge Gods and grass interaction amount. 

I had two other shots where I had to loft it up over a high banked green to a short side pin position. One I tried to flop it up onto the green, but it hit the top and stopped dead. Next time I de-lofted it a bit  and managed to hole it! ( warm thought were sent mentally to the club designer).

I managed to hit the fairway a lot off the tee quite often , but my fairway shots with hybrids/3 wood and irons  deserted me . So short game is working, tee shots working, now I just have to join them up during competition.

Someone told me that it was the weight of the scorecard in my rear trouser pocket unsettling my swing. Do you think he is right?

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#10 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

I’ve tried that(now has a snapped shaft)
Cleaveland smartsole and callaway sure out.
Still suck turd in all sand situations.
I waste 2-3 shots per greenside bunker I’m in a round, real fun when I go in 6-8 bunkers.

#11 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

Be Jaysus, I'd the ball up my left nostril with that thing! :lol:

• Weetbix and Lukos87 like this

#12 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

I think the 59 degree C3i is probably more versatile in comparison t the 65 degree verson. I bit less height and a bit more length makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users