24 replies to this topic

#1 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

What are the main differences between courses designed by these two? Any trademark features of the course for either?

#2 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Spelling error on title. Sorry don't know how to edit - Jack Nicklaus.

#3 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43167 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:02 AM

I've only played one Jack course - Lakelands. Played Glades and Brookwater which are Greg's.

First thing that is different for me is bunkering - Greg has more and they are a major part of making his courses tough.

The other big difference is that Greg's designs are way more interesting and visually appealing. Such a small sample may not give a good comparison but Lakelands is not a course that I find as memorable or attractive.

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#4 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

I've only played one Jack course - Lakelands. Played Glades and Brookwater and Pelican Waters which are Greg's.

I think the inclusion of Pelican adds weight to your comments 

Lakelands was very resorty, perfect in so many ways and would cater for the tourist market, but it just lacked something. After a 6 week layoff (which I thought was a long lay off at the time, oh how things have changed) I had 4 bogeys, 14 pars for the round so for me it was a course that was playable and not to disastrous, whereas I know for certain that it's been quite easy to rack up big numbers at the other three courses mentioned. Although, I have gone around Pelican in less than a couple over during a Pennants game one year so it is also a course that you can score well if you put the ball in the right spots. 

Was that just the way I generally played at each of the courses?? probably, but I still think there is more chance for bigger numbers at Greg's courses for not putting the ball in the right positons.  

that won't really answer your questions at all will it Hypergolf?

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#5 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5949 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

I agree with both Weeti and Bump's comments. Norman's courses challenge the player more than Jack's do. Norman favours elevated greens contoured in design offset to the fairway requiring a specific shot to get within three or four metres of the more difficult flags. Norman's fairway bunkering are also more penal, not so much in location but in depth and shape. Norman tries to intimidate the golfer from the tee. I have never felt intimidated on Lakelands tees but I really feel uncomfortable on many of Norman's tees. Norman's water havards are shaped to run balls into the hazard to trap any running ball inside 10 metres of the hazard.
Norman's courses are also longer. Length is the major difficulty factor for regulation shots into the green.

#6 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

I've played Lakelands and The Herritage courses, and agree with others above that they are friendlier compared to Norman courses - not saying i don't like Norman ones as Sanctuary Lakes

is a favourite of mine to play.  What i don't get with Norman courses though is what again has already been mentioned, length. He always seems to have at least one par 3 over 180 to 200m, but i cant remember him having a great 110 -130m hole.   And his bunkering always seems to be the same style. 

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#7 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16210 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:43 PM

I would rather play The Heritage St Johns in its glory days forever if the other choices were Sanctuary Lakes or Settlers Run
  • Itchy4Scratch and Birdie Blitz like this

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#8 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5914 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Agree with Mick weirdly. I haven't really found a Norman course I like but St Johns in good condition is a cracker. Haven't played any other Nicklaus courses so maybe my experience is limited. 

#9 Halfer5

Halfer5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

Very limited sample size but I like the Vintage but think it is shorter and easier, in length and play due to more roll, than both of the 2 Nicklaus courses I have played (Whistler Nicklaus North & Gleneagles PGA Centenary). The bunkering & rough on the Nicklaus courses were harder and the par 3 lengths were also longer by my memory. That said the James Braid Kings course and the Trent Jones Jr Chateau Whistler course were both better than the Nicklaus courses at these locations while the Vintage is the best accessible course in the Hunter Valley (excluding Newcastle). If I had to choose I'd pick the Nicklaus ones but architecturally they wouldn't be top of my list.

#10 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

I hear the original owner took back Heritage Golf to save it from what his ex-wife did to the course. Just wanted to also compared to Eastern Golf Club as well.
  • 3offthetee likes this

#11 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16210 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

If Heritage can sort itself out then this is great news

* LoL

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Heritage is still on the market, either for sale or to lease. The condition of the 2 courses is not great and would take some tlc and money to bring back the conditioning !

Jon...

#13 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:49 PM

I hear the original owner took back Heritage Golf to save it from what his ex-wife did to the course. Just wanted to also compared to Eastern Golf Club as well.

Eastern will be a solid course in another 5 to 10 years when the playing lines have fully grown in, especially the tree lines. 

At the moment it's a hit it as far as possible and then play to the greens from wherever !

Can be very wind effected, either from the south or the north.

Jon... 

#14 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

The swarm of flies at Eastern Golf is beginning to annoy me. Is this the same issue at the Heritage?

#15 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16210 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

The swarm of flies at Eastern Golf is beginning to annoy me. Is this the same issue at the Heritage?

It is at Gardeners although I don’t know if you would call it a swarm.

* LoL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users