228 replies to this topic

#106 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

I can see where this is leading, in terms of pace-of-play. Make it a one stroke penalty, remove the penalty area exclusion, and one no longer needs to be virtually certain of anything. Whether the ball is through the fence, or in the water or whatever, just drop a ball on the fairway and play on. Unlikely to have any impact on the top echelons of pro golf (because they hit 99% of theirs straight up the guts), yet would make hacker golf much simpler.

It's taken me awhile to put my finger on your overall reasoning about the rules of golf.

I think that you really what to take the skill factor out of the game and neutralize players to a common denominator. So that the game is very simple and rewards poor play with commonality via the rules !  

We've been doing it since the rule came in...not only does it speed up play on the green, it reduces the foot traffic around the hole.

Gouldy, could you please explain how it reduces the foot traffic around the hole, this has got me slightly intrigued ?

Guessing it might have something to do with more gimmies conceded, due to not having to remove the flag ?

Jon... 

#107 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39323 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:13 AM

Clearly you don’t understand what happens when people tend flags.

That’s ok. Some of us are special.
  • Francie and Itchy4Scratch like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#108 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36668 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:17 AM

Clearly you don’t understand what happens when people tend flags.

That’s ok. Some of us are special.

Woops....saw that you were in here...thought I'd have a look.....I'm outa' here........... :ph34r:

• Goldy and The B T like this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​

Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

​Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018

Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#109 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

Sounds correct to me, a person has a putt as one player is raking the trap and the two others are slowly walking up to the green. The player has a putt with no need of another player holding the flag. Time saved and the green is less walked on around the cup.

#110 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24704 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

currently what often happens is all the group look for ball and then when found proceed to own ball then work out distance with gps, then check wind, then have a practice swing, then hit.

I think what he was saying is that if a ball is lost then players in the group should hit their shots first then start looking for lost ball
given its now only 3 minutes search by time player 4 has hit the ball search should be over and ball  called lost.

That is what he said and I agreed.
I just added an opinion on a major cause of slow play.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#111 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24704 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

It's taken me awhile to put my finger on your overall reasoning about the rules of golf.
I think that you really what to take the skill factor out of the game and neutralize players to a common denominator. So that the game is very simple and rewards poor play with commonality via the rules !  

No, I want to take the dumb factor out, as far as that may be practicable. A problem is that a large percentage of regular players don't know the rules and can't be bothered learning them. If the KISS principle was applied, a lot more would be playing by the same rules.

Gouldy, could you please explain how it reduces the foot traffic around the hole, this has got me slightly intrigued ?
Guessing it might have something to do with more gimmies conceded, due to not having to remove the flag ?

Jon...

Fewer players stomping around the hole marking their balls and pulling the flag out. Except for the odd player who still wants the flag removed.
Gimmies aren't allowed in club play except for matches such as pennant.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#112 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:22 PM

Saturday mid morning during the worst of the weather, a player goes to tap his ball into the hole from approximately one foot. Another player on his left hand side asks if he wants the flag out, he replies no thanks. As he hits the ball into the hole another playing partner on his rhs reaches over and pulls the flagstick out. The ball and ferrule on the bottom of the flagstick collide and the ball ends up acouple of feet away from the hole.

The group discussed what had happened and made a decision. 

What would your ruling be ?

Jon... 

#113 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24704 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

Saturday mid morning during the worst of the weather, a player goes to tap his ball into the hole from approximately one foot. Another player on his left hand side asks if he wants the flag out, he replies no thanks. As he hits the ball into the hole another playing partner on his rhs reaches over and pulls the flagstick out. The ball and ferrule on the bottom of the flagstick collide and the ball ends up acouple of feet away from the hole.

Jon... 

You said 'playing partner' but I assume you meant, in this instance, 'fellow competitor'.  i.e. not a team competition.  Also assume usual stroke play, not a match.  Also assume the ball was not at rest in the hole, hence not holed.

Rule 11.2b  The dickhead who pulled the pin out incurs the general penalty (two strokes) for deflecting a ball in motion.

Rule 11.2c(2)  The stroke is cancelled and the player gets to try it again, without penalty, from where he last played.

Etiquette:  Aforementioned dickhead has to buy the aforementioned player a beer.

• CB59 and PuttOvr like this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#114 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:59 PM

OB, I always marvel at the way you manage to be so condescending in what you write with regards to a simple rules question. This could be one of the reasons that alot of people don't take to you straight away !

Because the "fellow competitor" did not hear the instruction by the player, do you still think that the penalty is valid ? ( someone other than Phil to answer, please )

Jon...  

#115 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

Interesting, golfguy33

So the question is about the penalty for the pin puller, he was just doing as we always have done. Simply removing the pin, but now he's looking at a 2 stroke penalty.

I am leaving the flag in on every put, but there are still players that quickly remove the flag as your lining up the putt, I just puttout and don't say anything when this happens 

Good question...... golfguy33

#116 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

Jon... 

Time to abandon play and head for the comfort of the clubhouse. The clue was that it during the worst of the weather.

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#117 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:53 AM

Sorry if this question has been covered before:
Yesterday my playing partner was having a good game, then he hit a ball into the scrub, 
I was on the opposite side of the fairway and played my ball before walking across to help look for his ball. Buy the time I had got to his ball the 3 minutes was just about finished.
The 3 minutes to look for a ball starts when the player starts looking, so to be competitive can the player wait on the edge of the fairway until all 4 in his group have arrived to start looking at the same time.
Making the 3 minutes more affective 
Cheers 

#118 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24704 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:53 PM

Yesterday my playing partner was having a good game, then he hit a ball into the scrub, 
I was on the opposite side of the fairway and played my ball before walking across to help look for his ball. Buy the time I had got to his ball the 3 minutes was just about finished.
The 3 minutes to look for a ball starts when the player starts looking, so to be competitive can the player wait on the edge of the fairway until all 4 in his group have arrived to start looking at the same time.
Cheers

The three minutes starts from "when the search begins", not necessarily from when the player whose ball you're looking for starts searching.
In answer to your question, yes you could wait until all are present, but that's hardly the 'right' thing to do. The change was instigated to minimise delays, not add extra delays because someone has a stopwatch.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#119 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

Cheers 

So predictable that the rule should have been drafted to take account of it. There is now an "interpretation" in the definition of "Lost"

Interpretation Lost/2 - Player May Not Delay the Start of Search to Gain an Advantage

The three-minute search time for a ball starts when the player or his or her caddie (or the player's partner or partner's caddie) starts to search for it. The player may not delay the start of the search in order to gain an advantage by allowing other people to search on his or her behalf.

For example, if a player is walking towards his or her ball and spectators are already looking for the ball, the player cannot deliberately delay getting to the area to keep the three-minute search time from starting. In such circumstances, the search time starts when the player would have been in a position to search had he or she not deliberately delayed getting to the area.

• languid, Weetbix and PuttOvr like this

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#120 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

So predictable that the rule should have been drafted to take account of it. There is now an "interpretation" in the definition of "Lost"

Interpretation Lost/2 - Player May Not Delay the Start of Search to Gain an Advantage

The three-minute search time for a ball starts when the player or his or her caddie (or the player's partner or partner's caddie) starts to search for it. The player may not delay the start of the search in order to gain an advantage by allowing other people to search on his or her behalf.

For example, if a player is walking towards his or her ball and spectators are already looking for the ball, the player cannot deliberately delay getting to the area to keep the three-minute search time from starting. In such circumstances, the search time starts when the player would have been in a position to search had he or she not deliberately delayed getting to the area.

Thanks Forrest 
Great reply 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users