• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#181 divot_maker

divot_maker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:33 PM

When Ball is Out of Bounds. Your ball at rest is out of bounds only when all of it is outside the boundary edge of the course.

What is the boundary edge? Is it the chainlink/cyclone fencing (indicated with underscores_ _), or is it the tangent (indicated with macrons¯ and carets^) the imaginary line between two posts (indicated with zeroes)?

~~~~~~~~~~ outside world ~~~~~~~~~~~

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ cyclone fencing _ _ _ _ _ _ _

0         0         0     posts    0          0          0

^¯¯¯¯ ^¯¯¯¯¯^¯ tangents ^¯¯¯¯¯^ ¯¯¯¯¯^

::::::::::::::::::::::::golf course::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There is no gap between the cyclone fencing and the posts

#182 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

Here is part of the definition of out of bounds:

The boundary edge should be defined by boundary objects or lines:

Boundary Objects: When defined by stakes or a fence, the boundary edge is defined by the line between the course -side points of the stakes or fence posts at ground level (excluding angled supports), and those stakes or fence posts are out of bounds.

So, in your diagram it would be on the course side of the posts, perhaps what you've tried to illustrate by the "tangents".

#183 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24963 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

I have an issue with the 'Player's Edition' in that it is far too incomplete.

For example, I had a situation yesterday where a player's ball had come to rest in an open drain only a foot or so from the end of a concrete pipe. The pipe goes under a path to a dam on the other side, said dam being staked and contained water. The area where the player's ball came to rest was bone dry and no stakes. He wanted a free drop from "course works". I assured him that it was a PA, formerly a WH. He played it as it lay, under objection, particularly as the other 3 of us parred the hole but he scored a 5.

The usual protestations from the other players about no stakes, the hazard was the other side of the path, etc.

I later checked the Player's Edition for definition of a PA and it did not contain any mention of "any body of water ... whether or not marked ... even if not containing water" which was in the previous rules and is still in the full Rules of Golf book. The Player's Edition goes on about yellow and red areas and the marking thereof with the only suggestion toward the above being that if the colour of the area is not marked then it is a red area. That implies that it would still be marked.

I can understand players referring to the PE and drawing their own erroneous conclusions.

I have noticed a number of rules which have been so abbreviated in the PE that much of the relevant detail has been omitted with just a footnote reference to the full rules book.

I suppose the PE is better than nothing, but not much better. I'm concerned that players will take the PE as being all there is.

Edited by OldBogey, 01 March 2019 - 01:24 PM.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#184 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24963 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

I agree about the player's edition.

Unless appointed as a referee I'd never pretend to offer a ruling though. The best advice might have been that if he was in doubt as to procedure he might like to play two balls and seek a ruling later.

He is a good friend and took my word for it. It would've cost me a bottle of shiraz if I'd been proven wrong. In the end, he had 43 points and cleaned up a couple of prizes.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#185 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

That's a helpful observation about the Player's Edition, OB.  I've been getting a few similar comments from fellow members and fell into the trap of setting  a Christmas rules quiz in which some of the questions required the full edition to answer. 48 question sheets went out; not one set of answers was returned.   :rolleyes:  

I suspect, however, that for most players, carrying the full edition would generally be pointless as it would prove too difficult and time consuming to look things up unless they were already more familiar  with it than is likely.  It includes a large amount of detail previously found  in the Decisions which was not a volume anyone was likely to carry in his golf bag!

I'm hoping that the Player's Edition will work as intended - a digest of the rules which will take the player through the main situations he or she is likely to encounter on the course.  And, as Forrest has pointed out, you can meet  uncertainty in stroke play by playing a second ball [20.1c].  In match play you cannot play another ball but can get a later ruling [20.1b].   You've reminded me that I have still to draw members'attention to this.

Edited by ColinCL, 01 March 2019 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users