53 replies to this topic

#1 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

Is wearing a hat / cap in the club house still frowned upon.

I see people wearing caps every were these days, and when there is a open eating area / restaurant in a club house, is it worth chatting the person to risk putting people of the venue?

#2 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

It's a big no from me.

How hard is it to show some respect to the traditions and standards of the club you are visiting.

Tuck your shirt in, take your hat off inside and don't wear cargo shorts when you're at a golf course.
  • voss, RobNewy, WasabiPea_Shooter and 4 others like this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#3 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9480 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

I see people wearing caps every were these days, and when there is a open eating area / restaurant in a club house, is it worth chatting the person to risk putting people of the venue?

No sunshine in clubhouse so no need to wear a hat.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#4 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

I disagree with a lot of golf traditions but some etiquette and protocols are worth maintaining.
No hats in the clubhouse and strict policy on dress code throughout the course. Why do you think young professional golfers are so different to young professional tennis players?

#5 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8813 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:28 PM

As a golfer I know the tradition

As a bar keep in a golf club I am surprised at the number of times I have to remind peoples to take their hats off...

In saying that without wanting to be sexist why is okay for the lady golfer to wear a hat inside the club???

VTTP 006

#6 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18353 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

As a golfer I know the tradition
As a bar keep in a golf club I am surprised at the number of times I have to remind peoples to take their hats off...
In saying that without wanting to be sexist why is okay for the lady golfer to wear a hat inside the club???

I haven't seen any women wearing hats in our clubhouse.
  • madness likes this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24973 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

As for lady golfers, it depends on the occasion.

If it's a sun hat of some description that they wore on the course, same rules as men.

But if it's a more formal occasion and their headgear is, for exampe, some little feathery thing that's supposed to be dressy, that's ok. e.g. a funeral wake.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#8 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18006 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Most of the occasions I have been in the bar it’s been social players, people that don’t play much, that aren’t familiar with the hats off policy. I believe the downfall is the spike in taverns being built and people wearing their caps in the main bars.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#9 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:35 PM

I disagree with a lot of golf traditions but some etiquette and protocols are worth maintaining.
No hats in the clubhouse and strict policy on dress code throughout the course. Why do you think young professional golfers are so different to young professional tennis players?

Because adrenaline is not the friend of the professional golfer. Because tennis at the highest level is played in a claustrophobic ampitheatre. Golfers would take beta blockers if they were allowed, tennis players would take steroids if they were allowed. I don't think it has anything to with dress standard.

#10 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

Lets not get started on the burqa! Why is not spelt with a u after the q? 

I think headwear should only be for climactic reasons. Stay warm or avoid sunburn. Hats and sunglasses indoors are just rude and I wouldn't share a table with that person.

#11 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

Because adrenaline is not the friend of the professional golfer. Because tennis at the highest level is played in a claustrophobic ampitheatre. Golfers would take beta blockers if they were allowed, tennis players would take steroids if they were allowed. I don't think it has anything to with dress standard.

With respect, I disagree. Competitive golf is full of adrenaline, just without the same degree of physical exertion. It’s sll about role models and expectations. Golfers earn roughly the same and commit from the same age. Yet golfers and tennis players have the opposite ratio of appalling behaviour. Gotta be a reason why

#12 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

Pleased to see all replies show respect for the game of golf 

I have always look to the person entering or leaving a dojo for the bow of acknowledgement.  
This similar and simple gesture, always comes to mind, when removing my cap on entering the club house. 

Merry Christmas to you all, and your loved ones 
puttovr team 

• RobNewy likes this

#13 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

With respect, I disagree. Competitive golf is full of adrenaline, just without the same degree of physical exertion. It’s sll about role models and expectations. Golfers earn roughly the same and commit from the same age. Yet golfers and tennis players have the opposite ratio of appalling behaviour. Gotta be a reason why

With respect, I gave you the reasons. I've seen clubs thrown, clubs broken, bags thrown into lakes etc. Most of those kids don't make it because golf at the highest level is about temprament and building a score. But even if a hot head makes it to the big time the "stadium" golf is played on and the way it is telecast means the bad behaviour is not shown by the telecasters. Tiger is one of the most fined players in PGA history but it rarely makes it to the night time news. Tennis is played in an ampitheatre where spectators can watch a player argue with the umpire or yell at their coach the whole game. Robert Allenby spent most rounds abusing his caddy but all we see on telly is the good shots he plays. 

In terms of the golf vs tennis argument, tennis in Australia has one of the biggest tournaments in the world yet golf can't even get it's own players to come home to play in our tournaments. I think golf could learn a few things from tennis.

#14 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3161 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Hats off in clubhouse, pure and simple except if medical conditions require a hat to be worn inside.
  • madness likes this

#15 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15832 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

yeah. And tennis is struggling as a sport?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users