#61 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43503 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

Start in a paddock or a range - I don't think it's beneficial to punish yourself on the course straight up

Setup is important within certain parameters so get a basic setup down - but don't get caught up in the grip beyond something similar to what you'd do with a baseball bat, with connected fingers if you feel like it (you will tweak it later depending on how you contact the ball)

Just worry about the club and moving it to move the ball - don't try and make your body do specific things (I still need to take this advice)

Start with chip and run practice with a low iron

Start full swing training by learning to hit a punch shot with a mid length backswing with a low iron

Have fun

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#62 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:24 PM

OK, crew, if YOU were going to learn to swing a golf club again, like say, you're new to the game, starting out, what would you tell yourself / how would YOU go about it now?

Serious / genuine question.

I guess it may also depend upon at what age you're starting out? Or does it?

I reckon age has a lot to do with it regarding the ability to do a fluid full swing (PGA style). My range of motion ain't what it used to be, pre-fractures.

I think a shorter, slower swing has a lot of merit for a beginner. Start with little shots and build up until you reach your stability limit , i.e. the amount of swing you can do without losing balance.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#63 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Interesting ideas for a beginner... In hindsight, I reckon I'd do a few things different.

I think I'd have been a better golfer earlier and now if I had been taught more about the whole swing fundamental and not just tried to hit the ball. My recent past few years learning more about the swing fundamental has highlighted to me that what I was trying to do and needed to do were vastly different.

But, back then, the mud to late 80s the information freely available was limited, so probably the best idea would have been to get lessons.

I also think I'd encourage anyone new to learn from the green back. Trouble is getting the ego and desire to smash a driver out of the way. Oh, hang on, that still exists for me now!

I started in high school,I'd to late 80s as a school sport because we couldn't do surfing during winter. I just bashed my way around the course every week.

Then, in the mid 90s, with work crew, started to play a few social rounds. Hired clubs, then bought a cheap set. Again, bashed my way around with really NFI.

It wasn't until mid 2000s I had a series of lessons. But, I think by then the damage was done. I reckon I've been learning to undo all the bad techniques built into my swing from those early years of not knowing what I should be doing. I'm still fighting them.

So, yeah, to anyone starting out, get lessons and learn, read up, understand what the fundamentals of the swing are! That includes understanding swing path, club head angle and effect of both on ball flight.

Hmmm, now, where is that Delorean 🙄

#64 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:23 AM

Instead of ditching the driver before you get down to 18 (and unless you have a really great short game and iron game good luck getting to 18 with nothing longer than a 5i) how about going for a short shafted high loft driver?

Why I say good luck getting to 18 is if we say the average par 4 is 330m and you hit your 5i 160m then you are going to have to hit a lot of very good 5i's each round to get around the greens in reg to let your short game do the rest. And given the scrambling % of the worst player on the PGA Tour is about 50% you'll need tour level short game skills.

Let's assume that 10 of the par 4s and 5s you are in chipping range in regulation with good shots, if you get GIR and 2 putts or up and down on half of those that's 5 pars and 5 bogies. But you won't hit all good shots on those 10 so you're more realistically 8 over.

Then the other 4 par 4s and 5s you're probably 6 over at best or again 8 over (this is when you're playing pretty well - this is someone who can't control a driver so their swing isn't going to be laser like with irons and wedges).

Then the 4 par 3s you're probably 2 to 6 over if you play them well.

So play well and you're in the 16 to 22 over range. That's with very few to no penalties and very solid short game (well above the average for an 18 capper).

It's possible but you better be very very consistent. And I'm a fairly strong ball striker for a 10 handicapper - my short game isn't good - and so know how many mishits I have with irons and wedges every game - so I doubt you could do it.

If you can hit your 5i well enough to get to 18 then you can hit a 5 wood or 3 hybrid too and that will make a big difference to your approach distances. I can't see why anyone would limit themselves to 5 irons as their top club.

After having recently started using a 5 wood for the first time, I would have to agree with Weetbix on its suitability as a beginner's tee weapon of choice. I picked up a new Cobra Fly Z adjustable 5 wood ( $119) and it is really forgiving of the tee and off the deck, even more so.

Especially for lower swing speed players ( read old farts like me) a 5 wood rather than a 3 or 4 fairway wood makes sense. The loss of 10 metres is a good trade off for reliable ball flight. I was having trouble getting my 4 wood off the deck from less than perfect lies.

Most of the proponents of the 5 i off the tee are suggesting hitting a club that you can hit reliably 160 yards, or more. So a 3 wood length high lofted driver like a GX7 ( 14 degree?) , a  19-21 degree hybrid or a high lofted fairway wood ( 16 degree plus 4 wood) would do the job.

Loft is our friend to help keep it on the fairway when you are learning. I still use my 16 degree 4 wood way more than my 11.5 degree driver of the tee. If the landing area is tight I will either use my 19 Hybrid or my 22 degree 5 iron, but my 5 iron shots only go 150-160 m and fairly accurate. Weeti probably hits his a lot longer which increases the chances of hitting  into the sticks more often.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#65 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

I tested the much advertised GX7 driver today.   I hate to admit it, but the advertising is close to the mark.

It isn't magic, you still need to hit the ball in the middle of the club face, with the club face pointing in the general direction of your target with a suitable swing path. Not easy for a beginner, but easier with the shorter shafted GX7, compared to a longer driver. The club face is off set to help close the face at impact to reduce slicing. It can also be hit off the deck, so it can be a replacement for a 3-4 wood.

#66 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Has anyone tried out the new-ish hybrid irons? They are supposed to be easier to hit and higher with more spin than game improvement irons. Cleveland HB Launchers, Wilson Staff Launchpads, Cobra T-Rails are all examples that should assist beginners with approach shots.

#67 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=r7K3qT7ZsTc   

5 tips for beginners

You Tube presenter Chris Ryan

#68 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

I tested the hybrid- irons today. Ideal for beginners. Straight, high, forgiving.

#69 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:25 AM

I am thinking about a few clubs for my wife to start/ try golf with. They will have to be forgiving, because I believe that  she will be easily frustrated. She has several bikes hanging on the wall, several sets of snow skis that she tried but didn't like. I don't want to spend a fortune on a 7 day wonder experience.

Thoughts;

1. Let her use my travel clubs . Specifically a 22 degree hybrid  for tee shots, 7 iron SL , PW and putter.

2. Borrow some female clubs

3. EBay a set of ladies clubs that i can on sell if it is not a success.

Advice/ cast offs on offer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users