Photo

2019 Leaving Flag In When Putting, Any Pros/cons?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#91 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3094 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

Just as a hypothetical, if part of the ball is below ground level as described and a gust of wind blows the flag so that the ball pops out and finishes an inch away, was the ball holed with the previous stroke?

I can imagine the conversation with the rules committee saying "we all saw it, the ball was clearly stationary partially in the hole and then the flag moved and it popped out" and various lesser degrees of certainty down to "I think I saw my ball partially in the hole but it popped out".

Good question and it would/could only come into play on a really windy day, for instance. ( realistic if you're playing on King Island ) 

Should the rule be expanded to stop the gcuts type of scrutiny and either the ball has to be fully below the ground, like before ?

Or should there be a time frame of, say 3 to 5 seconds that the ball must stay in the same position before being removed ? Would that then give other fellow players the chance to assess if the ball is actually stable and some part of it is holed ?

Jon...

ps: still waiting for an apology. 

#92 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18027 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

You are such a beast hey ?

Look at his backswing
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#93 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3094 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

Not from me I hope!

Of course not from you.

Either gcuts in this tread or Spade in the trash can topic !

Jon... 

#94 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25016 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

Just as a hypothetical, if part of the ball is below ground level as described and a gust of wind blows the flag so that the ball pops out and finishes an inch away, was the ball holed with the previous stroke?

I can imagine the conversation with the rules committee saying "we all saw it, the ball was clearly stationary partially in the hole and then the flag moved and it popped out" and various lesser degrees of certainty down to "I think I saw my ball partially in the hole but it popped out".

That 'rider' in the rule is an unnecessary complication that will come back and bite the rule writer in due course. Just determining that the ball is between the flagstick and the edge of the cup should be sufficient.
  • Bluethunda likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#95 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18027 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

That 'rider' in the rule is an unnecessary complication that will come back and bite the rule writer in due course. Just determining that the ball is between the flagstick and the edge of the cup should be sufficient.

Second POTY OB, on a roll
  • OldBogey likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#96 JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGreater Queanbeyan

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

Anyway back on topic, I for one was a doubter about this as the new rules were being discussed, and couldn't see myself doing it. But after 5 or 6 comp rounds and more than a social hits, I'd have to say Im a convert.

It genuinely saves a surprising amount of time and stuffing around where everyone in the group agrees to leave it in. Also, as someone who practices putting to tees or coins I like having a small target within the hole to aim at, and it feels like an insurance policy on fast greens, particularly downhillers.

I also saw a mygolfspy vid on YouTube where they did some reasonably scientific testing of pin in vs pin out and they found it saves more shots than it costs.

I wouldn't mind betting that by the end of the year you'll see more people doing it and that in time it'll be the norm.
  • Schmuck likes this

#97 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3181 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

The last couple of games I have played there has been some leaving the pin in on long putts and in the scheme of things this has sped the rounds up because no one has had to rush to tend the pin.I find sometimes the shadow of the flag near the hole is enough to ask the pin to be taken out but if I play on my own I normally leave the pin in.
I agree that more players will leave the pin in and the speed of play will improve but not the short term until it is second nature to putt with the pin in.

#98 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5894 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

#teamgrank

I see James holds the world record for most consecutive birdies in a round - nine on the trot. I wonder if he left the flag in or not?
  • Schmuck likes this

#99 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:00 AM

Try sounding less like a self righteous flog next time and you might get a better response

Serious? I think you've got the 'self-righteous' flog tone done pretty well.

Interesting how your 'mates' on here 'like' your comment. But, none of them pull you up for your obvious self righteous tone about putting the flag back in for someone in "your" group (yes, this comment: http://forums.iseekg...ons/?p=1638794)... but. it's OK you are a hero and you'll threaten to break their clubs if they ask again. FFS, you must really think you are something special.

No wonder you can not handle someone correcting your obvious misinformation about the new rules.

#100 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:02 AM

Of course not from you.

Either gcuts in this tread or Spade in the trash can topic !

Jon... 

No apology for me ... you are wrong. Go back and look at the posts.

Simple - if flagstick is on a lean, it is possible for the 'bottom of the ball' to be above the hole.

Just look and read the rule, why would they write it that way if it wasn't a possibility?

#101 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5913 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Serious? I think you've got the 'self-righteous' flog tone done pretty well.

Interesting how your 'mates' on here 'like' your comment. But, none of them pull you up for your obvious self righteous tone about putting the flag back in for someone in "your" group (yes, this comment: http://forums.iseekg...ons/?p=1638794)... but. it's OK you are a hero and you'll threaten to break their clubs if they ask again. FFS, you must really think you are something special.

No wonder you can not handle someone correcting your obvious misinformation about the new rules.

Perhaps they didn't pull me up because I was obviously taking the piss?

No wonder you don't have any mates.

#102 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

All the recent talk of new users who doen't hang around because of the ISG banter......

Shame it didn't apply to Capt. Quote-Seven-Posts-With-The-Same-Douchebag-High-Horse-Repsonse here

WOW. So a new users doesn't meet your 'high esteem' style of communication so they must be bad.

Well, yep, no wonder new users do not seem to hang around here long.

I think the moderators needs to reign in the superiority factor some of you seem to hold for yourself and your mates. Nothing like a little 'club' of like minded men to make each feel superior.

#103 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Basic physics says that if a sphere is balanced on an edge at any point other than its very bottom then some part of it must be lower than the edge. Fine that the rule makers felt they had to put in a bit to cover a situation where the flag is on such a lean that only half the ball has made it past the edge but for practical purposes it would never happen.

Goldy wasn't attempting to quote the rule just explain its application.

But good that it's now been fully clarified - didn't need to insult everyone calling it misinformation - it's a discussion - itchy was asking for clarification

Weetbix, you seem somewhat reasonable with both the tone and content of your post. That's refreshing in here.

Itchy didn't just ask for 'clarification' though, he had to have a swipe, and that's when it escalated.

As you've now noted, a leaning flagstick can well have the bottom of the ball NOT below the surface of the green. That simple fact is no doubt why the rules were written with the precise wording. The 'discussion' was straight out misinformation, IMO.

So, users on here take offense to multiple posts and quotes around the same topic. OK, that's their problem. No need to start personal attacks.

I can see why new users do not stick around, and as it would seem, a lot register but do not post either (see new members and how many have 0 posts) - I guess they've read and seen how the 'group' responds and attacks, so think twice about offering their opinion. As I've posted, the moderators around here need to take a look at this 'self righteous' group mentality. I suspect the 'in' group on here are holding back the growth of this forum and what could otherwise be a wider group of users. I am surprised the owners of iseek, obviously a commercial business venture, have not realised the impact and taken action to stop it.

#104 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5894 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

WOW. So a new users doesn't meet your 'high esteem' style of communication so they must be bad.

Well, yep, no wonder new users do not seem to hang around here long.

I think the moderators needs to reign in the superiority factor some of you seem to hold for yourself and your mates. Nothing like a little 'club' of like minded men to make each feel superior.

Mate we have all copped it when we joined the forum. It is just part of the dynamics of group forming. Those dynamics tend tend to get a wee bit agressive at times in a public forum. It's what it is.

#105 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

Perhaps they didn't pull me up because I was obviously taking the piss?

No wonder you don't have any mates.

So, your passive aggressive and self righteous tone is now 'taking the piss'? :rolleyes:

Sure, your mates on here may know you and your communication style. But, that's the thing with the written word on a forum like this ... it can be read and taken very different from the way it was meant. And, yet, here you go again ... you just can not help having a personal attack ... what makes you think I do not have any mates? Fact is, with my work I travel the world, get to play golf around the world with 'mates' when work allows. I'm more than happy in life, with my 'mates' and who I am. You however seem to need to belittle and attack a 'new user' - are you threatened in some way? Stop and ask yourself why?

• pom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users