#61 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16314 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

Gardiners isn’t a public track Jon. Please explain this comment as well.
Thanks
Much Love
M

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#62 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:57 PM

And another clarification on Jon's post...yes, Yering was struggling as recently as 18 months ago. New owners, lowered annuals, and some special offers such as lifestyle and summer membership deals have seen the place thriving. Membership numbers back over 1000 I believe, from just over half that 2 years ago. They've poured money into the maintenance and the condition of the course is very good.

Current offer is first year membership of $1200, thereafter $1900. 27 holes, usually 2 layouts to choose from on comp days, a terrific clubhouse. It has a lot to recommend it.

I went there in November on the summer deal, and I'm signing on for the full membership at the end of the month.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#63 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

Sounds like a good deal Goldy, could you report back on pies and friendliness at your earliest convenience. I might have a friend looking to merge.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix and Goldy like this

#64 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

Sounds like a good deal Goldy, could you report back on pies and friendliness at your earliest convenience. I might have a friend looking to merge.

Malv....errrr....I think it's...ummm....yeah I think membership is full mate.

Yep that's right.

And the pies are rubbish.

Let your mate down easy, could you?

• Weetbix and Francie like this
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

#65 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:03 PM

Let your mate down easy, could you?

I think the easy is done, time for some tough love.

#66 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3940 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

Interesting comments about GACG Jon... I am currently considering joining there, played a trial round earlier this year and couldn't fault the conditions. I know there are issues in winter with water and drainage, which is a common theme amongst most Yarra courses, however, I'd love to know more detail on why you think conditions are crappy given your opinion is generally well educated. 

Thanks

J

J, the course is always reasonable during the summer months. When the cooler weather hits you will quickly notice the 3 types of grasses that take over. The Poanna winter grasses that dominate are very hard to control in the wetter, cooler season. This makes the course and especially the greens not a lot of fun to play for at least 7 or 8 months of the year. Until they fix the plural strains of grasses on their property I'm not a big fan of the conditions at GA !

Gardiners isn’t a public track Jon. Please explain this comment as well.
Thanks
Much Love
M

Council run IM ? Do they call it a Country Club ?

And another clarification on Jon's post...yes, Yering was struggling as recently as 18 months ago. New owners, lowered annuals, and some special offers such as lifestyle and summer membership deals have seen the place thriving. Membership numbers back over 1000 I believe, from just over half that 2 years ago. They've poured money into the maintenance and the condition of the course is very good.

Current offer is first year membership of $1200, thereafter $1900. 27 holes, usually 2 layouts to choose from on comp days, a terrific clubhouse. It has a lot to recommend it.

I went there in November on the summer deal, and I'm signing on for the full membership at the end of the month.

The new owners did some crazy, great deals when they took over. They contacted every Asian member at EGC and also surrounding clubs and made them deals which most couldn't resist, in the short term ! I will be very interested to see how they go over the next few years, as the monies become due and have to be paid in full by the masses.

Jon...

#67 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:21 AM

I don’t think $1900 is a lot of money to find? And it can be paid monthly.

It's about the same cost as Gardiners. Significantly less than Eastern. It's about on par with what I used to pay at the Frog...a public course with 18 holes and no clubhouse facility.

I think the masses will be just fine.

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

#68 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

I'll be interested to see if they can make a cash profit. The frog has some cheap deals too, but is also losing money hand over fist.

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#69 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38351 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

I'll be interested to see if they can make a cash profit.  The frog has some cheap deals too, but is also losing money hand over fist. 

Probably because they lost Goldy?   ;)

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Goldy like this
  • ……...

#70 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:21 AM

Their fairways are much quieter now
  • Goldy likes this

#71 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

I'll be interested to see if they can make a cash profit. The frog has some cheap deals too, but is also losing money hand over fist.

Very different model and numbers. Council run with a small member base - that won’t all have 7 day passes and will be green fees, compared to large member base private club that runs the entire facility.

Assuming 1000 members averaging at least $1500, there’s most of the $1.5m that the frog never sees...probably 100 pass holders at best at $1560 each...around 10% of the revenue base before green fees...which YM, like most private clubs, also taps into.

I look at the tee sheet for Saturday at YM...over 250 bookings. The frog would do a quarter of that.
  • Snappy McSnapperton likes this

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

#72 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

Probably because they lost Goldy?   ;)

yes the goldman was easily their biggest earner

• Francie and Goldy like this

#73 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

yes the goldman was easily their biggest earner

Hence why the pro at YM loves me  :)

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

#74 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Very different model and numbers. Council run with a small member base - that won’t all have 7 day passes and will be green fees, compared to large member base private club that runs the entire facility.

Assuming 1000 members averaging at least $1500, there’s most of the $1.5m that the frog never sees...probably 100 pass holders at best at $1560 each...around 10% of the revenue base before green fees...which YM, like most private clubs, also taps into.

I look at the tee sheet for Saturday at YM...over 250 bookings. The frog would do a quarter of that.

yes as I say I'll be interested to see what the annual report says.  We take in 1.9M from subs, we also have 1000 members (you'd be surprised how many go for differing categories) and it takes about 1.8 to run the place.  I'd suspect with 27 holes YM would be over 2 for running costs. 

#75 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 40060 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

Good points. It's probably closer to 1200 members is my understanding...but nonetheless, yes, there will be a difference in the categories chosen. I went with a mid rate view of $1500...no idea how close that would be...but as I said, if the numbers on the tee sheet are any indicator, it's hard to get a spot on a Saturday morning right now. Which augurs well for the future of the club, I would think.

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users