90 replies to this topic

#16 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

If you have listed Eastern as an option maybe look at Yering Meadows. They have been a rabble since moving from Croydon but are now offering a $1365 introductory price for new members. I'm not sure of the conditions but it would give you somewhere to play and 12months to get familiar with the local golfing scene and play some of the other courses before forking out a joining fee. 

• AGQ likes this

#17 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like give heidelberg a second look to me.  the main question there I think is not the crowds - its not that busy, more whether you want to deal with those hills every week or not

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#18 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

If you have listed Eastern as an option maybe look at Yering Meadows. They have been a rabble since moving from Croydon but are now offering a $1365 introductory price for new members. I'm not sure of the conditions but it would give you somewhere to play and 12months to get familiar with the local golfing scene and play some of the other courses before forking out a joining fee. 

Hi Madness,

Thanks for letting me know. It is right next to Eastern so I am assuming similar link type course? That is a fantastic idea to try out for a year to see if the distance would be a problem. Great suggestion. I will check Yering Meadows out this Saturday when I visit Eastern.

• madness likes this

#19 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Sounds like give heidelberg a second look to me. the main question there I think is not the crowds - its not that busy, more whether you want to deal with those hills every week or not

Yeah I will give HGC one more try. Greens were amazing. Best green i have seen in any Aussie public course so far.

#20 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Eastern has similar option for $125/month @madness.

INTRODUCTORY MEMBERSHIP—SIX MONTH
Membership in this category shall be for a maximum of six months and shall not be renewable.
The introductory membership fee will be credited towards your joining fee should you choose to
convert to either Full, Intermediate or Weekday membership. In this membership category you
will have six day access (excludes Saturday) to the course. This membership category is totally
obligation free. Clubhouse, gymnasium and tennis court access seven days.

Edited by Hypergolf, 30 October 2018 - 07:57 PM.

• madness likes this

#21 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

Better not tell HGC that you think they're a public course, they mightn't let you in.

Jon...

ps: Forget Heritage it's going downhill and was in poor condition when we played both courses recently.

Gardiners and the Frog are public tracks, so the speed of play could be a problem depending on what times you want to play your golf.

Yering are struggling and have been for afew years now, that's why the cheap offers atm.

Eastern will be a solid course in about 5 to 10 years when the trees grow and define the playing lines. I really look forward to revisiting the course in another 5 + years when it has matured.

Green Acres spent millions on their clubhouse and the course is still in crappy condition, year round.

Kew have spent a bucket load on the course, redesigning greens, bunkers, more and better drainage and I think they are the ones to have gotten the best out of their property for the long term !  

Edited by golfguy33, 30 October 2018 - 10:12 PM.

• Joe79 likes this

#22 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:30 AM

Better not tell HGC that you think they're a public course, they mightn't let you in.

Jon...

ps: Forget Heritage it's going downhill and was in poor condition when we played both courses recently.
Gardiners and the Frog are public tracks, so the speed of play could be a problem depending on what times you want to play your golf.

Yering are struggling and have been for afew years now, that's why the cheap offers atm.

Eastern will be a solid course in about 5 to 10 years when the trees grow and define the playing lines. I really look forward to revisiting the course in another 5 + years when it has matured.

Green Acres spent millions on their clubhouse and the course is still in crappy condition, year round.

Kew have spent a bucket load on the course, redesigning greens, bunkers, more and better drainage and I think they are the ones to have gotten the best out of their property for the long term !

Thanks golfguy33. Some good info you provided. So it looks like out of the Yarra Valley courses Eastern golf be the best option long term.

Although Kew did get a lot of my interest in the beginning as they were ranked in the top 100 as well but lost me due to display of some arrogance from their office.

Ok. I will not call HGC public. Lol. I honestly thought they were because anyone can book in to play... Semi private it is :)

#23 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:47 AM

Maybe it was just the day I went to HGC was exceptionally busy. We had to hit into the team ahead of us to make them move faster

That always works, I play there a bit as I have mates who are members there.
Just watch out Your ball doesn't get delivered back to you.
Muppet

Edited by Kiwi, 31 October 2018 - 06:48 AM.

Half the Trentham dream team

#24 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39730 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

Jon...

I think you'll find that Gardiners are in the same category as Heidelberg....just sayin....

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015

Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#25 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

Heading to Eastern after work today to try out their driving range and get a feel driving there. Will update my impression of the club later.

Edited by Hypergolf, 31 October 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#26 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:12 PM

I was notified that Eastern Golf driving range was closed today so went to Rosanna Golf instead to hit 100 balls at their range. Left home at 5:30pm and returned home at 6:45pm. Having dinner while posting this... Going to read my son a story book now... Convenience factor is winning me over...
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#27 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

I am surprised that you had slowness at Berg as honestly the only day that happens is medal day and even then you tend not to get pushed too hard. So either a one off or picked the wrong slot and got stuck behind a particular group that had to have been slow for whatever reason.

'Berg greens are the best in terms of speed and even better in winter as they can cut them shorter. I haven't been there since June so not sure on conditioning of rest of course but each year has gotten better and better and the new super should be doing a great job. The hills you get used too after time but keeps you fit and energetic for the young ones! 

I only wish i could have still afforded my full membership as I would be there every week but for now will enjoy the odd day here and there when i can play. I would definitely give it another go, maybe pick one of the later times in the day so you can truly enjoy it after dried out greens and fairways :)

Overall though for the cost of membership and no joining fee plus the quality of the course and greens it is hard to go past when your looking at the others with their costs (excluding the frog).

Edited by Joe79, 01 November 2018 - 07:51 AM.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#28 Hypergolf

Hypergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

I am surprised that you had slowness at Berg as honestly the only day that happens is medal day and even then you tend not to get pushed too hard. So either a one off or picked the wrong slot and got stuck behind a particular group that had to have been slow for whatever reason.

'Berg greens are the best in terms of speed and even better in winter as they can cut them shorter. I haven't been there since June so not sure on conditioning of rest of course but each year has gotten better and better and the new super should be doing a great job. The hills you get used too after time but keeps you fit and energetic for the young ones! 

I only wish i could have still afforded my full membership as I would be there every week but for now will enjoy the odd day here and there when i can play. I would definitely give it another go, maybe pick one of the later times in the day so you can truly enjoy it after dried out greens and fairways :)

Overall though for the cost of membership and no joining fee plus the quality of the course and greens it is hard to go past when your looking at the others with their costs (excluding the frog).

Thanks Joe79. So many on the forum have asked me to give HGC another go so I will definitely try out again. Heading to Eastern this Saturday and Rosanna this Sunday. Maybe I will try HGC again on Tuesday (Cup day) as I am not much into horses... If I am going to end up choosing a home club based on distance from home I really am convinced that HGC might be a strong contender.

Edited by Hypergolf, 01 November 2018 - 08:25 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Joe79 like this

#29 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

That always works, I play there a bit as I have mates who are members there.
Just watch out Your ball doesn't get delivered back to you.
Muppet

I find the way to get you to move faster is a wedge between the eyes. 

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#30 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25186 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

I find the way to get you to move faster is a wedge between the eyes.

or between the cheeks where he won't see it coming.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users