#106 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

I am sorry my wording was rushed, there are many times when you have to advise another player when you want to lift your ball, to identify, to see if the ball is embedded or in an animal hole etc. that is why the rule was changed to save time. 

Yep. How often does really happen though in reality. I can't remember the last time my ball was embedded, let alone in an animal hole. Certainly won't make an significant changes to the speed of play.

It is a good change though.

| GolfLink 

#107 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:28 AM

So just got an email from my club about a Golf NSW run Rules Night they are holding next week for us.

Good to see something being done to give the perhaps less informed people a heads up.

Should be interesting at least to watch some people's minds come to grip with these changes.

| GolfLink 

#108 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:37 AM

there are many times when you have to advise another player when you want to lift your ball, 

to see if the ball is embedded

or in an animal hole etc.

Are you sure?

#109 Larry3

Larry3

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:14 AM

Are you sure?

If you read the rule book it will tell you that if you think your ball may be imbedded or in an animal hole, you must tell a fellow competitor that you wish to lift it, if you need to lift your ball to identify it, the same applies, the point being the situation is in doubt. The new rules have dealt with this and it is no longer necessary so only three more weeks and we can forget about it, there is still a lot of rubbish in the rules that need to be addressed!  

#110 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:04 AM

I can't see it in this one:

25-2. Embedded Ball

If a player's ball is embedded in any closely-mown area through the green, it may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.

Note 1: A ball is "embedded" when it is in its own pitch-mark and part of the ball is below the level of the ground. A ball does not necessarily have to touch the soil to be embedded (e.g., grass, loose impedimentsand the like may intervene between the ball and the soil).

Note 2: "Closely-mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Note 3: The Committee may adopt the Local Rule as provided for in Appendix I allowing a player relief, without penalty, for a ball embedded anywhere through the green.

#111 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:07 AM

I can't find it in this one either: http://www.usga.org/...l#!rule-25,25-1

It is too long to quote all of it but perhaps you can quote the bit you are referring to.

#112 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:15 AM

if you need to lift your ball to identify it, the same applies,

I can see it in this one:  

12-2. Lifting Ball for Identification

The responsibility for playing the proper ball rests with the player. Each player should put an identification mark on his ball.

If a player believes that a ball at rest might be his, but he cannot identify it, the player may lift the ball for identification, without penalty. The right to lift a ball for identification is in addition to the actions permitted under Rule 12-1.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift the ball and identify it, provided that he gives his opponentmarker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to observe the lifting and replacement. 

Also 5-2 and Preferred Lies Local Rule.

Edited by AAA, 07 December 2018 - 08:21 AM.

#113 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:27 AM

The point being the situation is in doubt, so if your ball is embedded no problem, but if you THINK it may be embedded, you must refer, decision 20-1/0.7, if a player has reason to believe he is entitled to relief from a condition, the player may lift his ball without penalty, provided he announces his intention in advance to his opponent in match play or his marker or fellow competitor in stroke play, marks the position of the ball before lifting it, does not clean the ball and gives opponent or fellow competitor an opportunity to observe the lifting.

#114 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

The point being the situation is in doubt, so if your ball is embedded no problem, but if you THINK it may be embedded, you must refer, decision 20-1/0.7, if a player has reason to believe he is entitled to relief from a condition, the player may lift his ball without penalty, provided he announces his intention in advance to his opponent in match play or his marker or fellow competitor in stroke play, marks the position of the ball before lifting it, does not clean the ball and gives opponent or fellow competitor an opportunity to observe the lifting.

Gosh, and here I thought this forum thread was about the 2019 Rules, and you're referring to the 2018 Rules?  Where did I miss the turn in the road?

Edited by rogolf, 07 December 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#115 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

there is still a lot of rubbish in the rules that need to be addressed!  

What else should be addressed?

| GolfLink 

#116 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

Gosh, and here I thought this forum thread was about the 2019 Rules, and you're referring to the 2018 Rules?  Where did I miss the turn in the road?

We are discussing changes that will occur in the new rules, and perhaps some that should!

#117 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

We are discussing changes that will occur in the new rules, and perhaps some that should!

But didn't make the cut?  Maybe in 2050?

#118 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14546 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

Some dickhead didn't do this today and played mine. Cost me the hole (2 pts). How he didn't notice my Vision didn't have a swoosh or a Big A with a circle round it is beyond me.

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#119 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24379 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

Some dickhead didn't do this today and played mine. Cost me the hole (2 pts). How he didn't notice my Vision didn't have a swoosh or a Big A with a circle round it is beyond me.

He wanted to play a better ball?

You could have substituted another ball, if you'd known. But, like the rest of us, you just assumed a lost ball. Then concluded later that it must have been the Big A-hole.

You need to appreciate that half the population are below average intelligence, and some of those dimwits play golf.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#120 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24379 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:38 PM

That won't change in 2019.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users