#16 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:35 AM

I have looked into this some more.

Graves golf academy will try to train you into being a Moe Norman clone. It can take a fair time and may not suit everyone.

Kirk Junge used to work for Graves etc and developed a swing for impact position. It isn't that hard to master and worked O.K. for me.

He also has a version called the Minimalist Swing, which required even less change to an individuals swing. It is similar to the Channel Lock school , setting up with a closed shoulder line to target that promotes an in to out swing path.

Then I found Jim Venetos on YouTube. His school of thought is similar with a closed shoulder line to target and minimal body movement during the swing. It looks a bit suspect, but I am getting great contact and distance using it. I think my back is less sore using this method too.

For me the actual mechanics are less important than achieving reliable results and quickly. 

xrman........all good,wish you well,mechanics will keep on  keeping on imo,....knowing mechanics can assist in fault finding.....and lots of other goodies along the way,BUT......each to their own,keep it up....cheers

I am NOT a teacher, coach.
Iam a LEARNER
What I post here is either from the book,OR what I have learnt from it.
You dont like it..fine....dont read it ....SIMPLE

#17 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Cheers Brownman. I don't have time enough left to become a  elegant golfer having taken up the game too late in life. I do admire the lovely form of the champion's swings though. 

I think I have found the swing system that will give me quick and consistent results, such as they are! My goal was to reach 18 handicap and I am bobbling in the low 19s now. I haven't really played any games using the Venetos method. If the improvement I have noted in social games carries through, I am confident that it will tip me over the edge of my performance plateau

Combined with daily " back" exercises this minimal effort swing method  should be kinder to my old battered body.

• BROWNMAN and CaNadiAn MiCk like this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#18 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZmB9pjO7tOk

Here is a link to a video showing what the minimalist golf swing looks like. It is almost the same as the Jim Venetos method, except Jim does not promote the single plane arm position at address. 

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#19 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZmB9pjO7tOk

Here is a link to a video showing what the minimalist golf swing looks like. It is almost the same as the Jim Venetos method, except Jim does not promote the single plane arm position at address. 

Why is no one teaching Jim Furyk or Lee Trevino swing systems, both looks fairly solid at impact.. and work to good effect..

Edited by Bogey Golfer, 19 June 2019 - 10:20 PM.

• xrman1954 likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#20 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:18 AM

Why is no one teaching Jim Furyk or Lee Trevino swing systems, both looks fairly solid at impact.. and work to good effect..

My guess is that people want to look like the good guys when they swing. Since modern videography methods have made it possible to distill the various " moves" that the good guys use, PGA teaching professionals can try to make us clones using player X moves.

Furyk uses a vertical swing path which used to be popular many years ago. The Swing Surgeon still teaches this and possibly you could say Gravity Golf method uses a vertical swing plane too. It suits some people's anatomy. We have two players in our club who are vertical swing plane users. When they get the timing right they hit it very well ( when).

Lee Trevino used a swing that was his own. He still got into a good impact position ( the thing that determines a great player) . Steve Johnstone teaches the Eureka method, which essentially is Trevino's swing with a more modern delivery. " AIm left, swing right, walk straight" is Trevino's mantra and it works as long as you use a very strong grip.

I tried the Gravity Golf method, but it didn't seem to suit my somewhat battered shoulder anatomy ( 3 broken right shoulders/ bike accidents) . I can get the Eureka swing to work to get a draw. Fades I can do without even trying!

• madness likes this

#21 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

As many of us keep spinning from one instructor / pattern to another, I fell onto this guy. Sam Goulden - Square to Square swing.    https://www.youtube....h?v=BH0hYG-Bm18 

From what I can see you basically just preset body/hands into impact position and just rotate left shoulder back - left shoulder through. I've been running with it for about 10 days with pretty good results. He does seem to really have a lot of pressure on Left side which made me think it was almost stack and tilt. What I like is the mental side...as in, you can minimise the internal chatter while over the ball. So far so good.  

Edited by 333pg333, 15 July 2019 - 12:59 PM.

• Jack_Golfer likes this

#22 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

As many of us keep spinning from one instructor / pattern to another, I fell onto this guy. Sam Goulden - Square to Square swing.    [/size]https://www.youtube....h?v=BH0hYG-Bm18 [/size]
From what I can see you basically just preset body/hands into impact position and just rotate left shoulder back - left shoulder through. I've been running with it for about 10 days with pretty good results. He does seem to really have a lot of pressure on Left side which made me think it was almost stack and tilt. What I like is the mental side...as in, you can minimise the internal chatter while over the ball. So far so good.

Good video PG, that’s pretty much the swing pattern that I use. Just a gotcha to watch out for is the point Sam makes about the shoulder turn on the back swing. This is very much a shoulder turn swing. If you try and take the club back with just the arms, the swing will fail. A trick that I use is to rotate the left arm slightly out at address, such that I feel a slight pressure in the left armpit. That prevents my tendency to start the backswing with the arms rather than the shoulder turn. This swing is also very much a left sided swing. The right arm action is as you would use it to skim a stone over water.

Lots of gotchas that the coaches never mention.

#23 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

your mailbox must be full jack

Edited by BROWNMAN, 15 July 2019 - 05:07 PM.

Iam a LEARNER

#24 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

your mailbox must be full jack

Haha, as if.

As a matter of interest, is that video anything like your swing pattern?

#25 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3797 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Haha, as if.

As a matter of interest, is that video anything like your swing pattern?

cant message you jack

Iam a LEARNER

#26 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

cant message you jack

Should be good now. It was full of mail from my devoted followers 😂😂😂
  • BROWNMAN likes this

#27 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Jack. I'll try your suggestion too. 

You know what I think is a good visual queue. Think of Roger Federer's backhand where his arm is straight and the power looks to be generated by his shoulder. Obviously the rest of his body is involved but I think of this swing type as a left handed backhand shot rather than a right arm throw. Perhaps there's a little of both but for me the mental image is a single handed backhand tennis shot. 

#28 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Jack. I'll try your suggestion too. [/size]
You know what I think is a good visual queue. Think of Roger Federer's backhand where his arm is straight and the power looks to be generated by his shoulder. Obviously the rest of his body is involved but I think of this swing type as a left handed backhand shot rather than a right arm throw. Perhaps there's a little of both but for me the mental image is a single handed backhand tennis shot.

Sounds like a good way to think of the left arm action. There is definitely right arm action but timing is everything. I apply right arm as a way manage shot length. For me, the left is always in charge.

#29 333pg333

333pg333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:04 AM

Yes, agreed. Sam G's thought on Right hand is to feel like the pressure point of base knuckle of rh index finger on the grip is leading the clubhead into impact. Does seem to work. Also something to be aware of when initially trying this swing pattern. Increased propensity to hit a shank. He actually addresses this in one of his videos. I did find that a couple of times. So I tend to address the ball more off the toe which seems to work too. 

#30 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2621 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:31 AM

Yes, agreed. Sam G's thought on Right hand is to feel like the pressure point of base knuckle of rh index finger on the grip is leading the clubhead into impact. [/size]

In TGM it’s referred to as Pressure Point #3. A great way to mange length and direction on those critical approach shots. It’s the feel we all are striving for but never quite master. The old TGM gurus could tell you a lot about PP#3, it’s a shame they are no longer here.

From my experience, I have found that when I shank, its nearly always due to a flawed right arm/hand action, where the right dominates the left.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 16 July 2019 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users