#1 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:40 AM

Hi

On Friday arvo I did some putting on practice green. Good , holed a lot. Saturday, no good. I always nervy in fingers, seem to lose the flow, rhythm ... this probably the holy grail..but .... anyone got any tips or processes they use to take it to the course. It’s just split second of timing or something. It’s probably just a thought to think about to take away the negative mental thoughts .. don’t know.. so frustrating ... anyone got any ideas?
  • trustyrusty and hack2489 like this

Driver: Taylormade R11s
3 Wood: Callaway Razr Black

3 Hybrid: 19 degree Tour Edge Exotics EX10 (195m)
3 Hybrid: 19 degree Taylormade R7 (185m)

Irons: 3-PW Titliest AP2 716
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Putter: Oddessy BIG T
Ball: Titleist Pro v1
Handicap: 2.5

#2 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14913 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hi

On Friday arvo I did some putting on practice green. Good , holed a lot. Saturday, no good. I always nervy in fingers, seem to lose the flow, rhythm ... this probably the holy grail..but .... anyone got any tips or processes they use to take it to the course. It’s just split second of timing or something. It’s probably just a thought to think about to take away the negative mental thoughts .. don’t know.. so frustrating ... anyone got any ideas?

any noticeable change in grip pressure practice vs playing?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

No I don’t think so, just trying replica practice ... probably brain issue 😀

#4 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

.... anyone got any tips or processes they use to take it to the course. ...

I found James Sieckman's ebook very helpful.

Make your practice as realistic as possible. For example, you might decide to practice a six foot right to left putt. Do your full routine and see what happens. If it goes in then good for you.

If it doesn't what would you do differently next time. Would you pick a different line? Different speed? Did mechanics let you down?

Then pick a different putt to practice. Repeat until you've figured out what needs improvement. Avoid putting the same putt more than once or retrying putts you miss.

Over time what you do on the course will become very similar to what you are doing in practice. The only likely difference is how you handle pressure. You can simulate that on the practice green too by choosing a suitable skill game.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 05 August 2018 - 06:58 PM.

• hack2489 likes this

#5 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17516 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

Just aim at he hole and pull the trigger. It’s that easy
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#6 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

Just aim at he hole and pull the trigger. It’s that easy

But the hole keeps moving!  :huh:

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Bluethunda like this

#7 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9178 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

Hi

why are you frustrated, because you dont make every putt or by the number of putts you make?

Remember if the best players in the world, PGA tour pros only make 50 % from 3m(10ft). and 94 % from 5ft (1.5m) its a fair chance you and I are also going to miss some week in week out.

So dont stand there expecting to hole every 5m putt

on the course dont put to much pressure on your putt, by thinking I have to hole this putt to make a par or a 2 point, what happens then is you charge the first putt and most often miss one coming back.

only 3 reasons miss a putt.

1 aim is wrong.(face control at impact)(missed the first spot)

2 speed control

3 poor read of break

Edited by Can Break 80, 06 August 2018 - 03:29 AM.

• hack2489 and Forrest Gardener like this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#8 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:41 AM

Frustrated because I putt a thousand times better in practice and see someone each week who makes everything and wonder why I can’t even do even 50% that. I think it is tempo, but yes could 3 things mentioned... thanks

#9 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9178 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Frustrated because I putt a thousand times better in practice and see someone each week who makes everything and wonder why I can’t even do even 50% that. I think it is tempo, but yes could 3 things mentioned... thanks

Understand. So ifyou can make putts in practice its prob not your stroke mechanics that fail you on the course.

When you practice putting what do you practice. ?do you just putt balls at the hole or do drills.
Do you putt with 1 ball or several.
Putting with one ball only creates the same sense of pressure as on course.

On the course what do you do different to practice putting green..

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#10 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

Thanks

I do a combination of both.... drills and one ball, lag drills etc. My holing rate is pretty good in practice... I am sure

the technique is fine - not perfect but if the holing rate better on course I would be happier.

Watching pga tour some days the pros just cannot make anything and sometimes they do - and to me it is just

feel / flow thing...timing tempo...etc 

I dont seem to have many days that are 'on' - need a thought process to trigger good thoughts. 

I remember Louis Oosthuizen had a red mark on his glove to remind him of a process....and won The Open.

It is almost like you have have a thought - like 'what is for dinner?' :) to turn your brain off! 

PS re drills

I have 5 balls and hole four in a row, holing the 5th is hard...

If I have 4 balls and hole 3 in a row, holing the 4th is hard...

It is the tension created by expectation... that is what I need to fix... 

Edited by trustyrusty, 06 August 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#11 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

why are you frustrated, because you dont make every putt or by the number of putts you make?

Remember if the best players in the world, PGA tour pros only make 50 % from 3m(10ft). and 94 % from 5ft (1.5m) its a fair chance you and I are also going to miss some week in week out.

So dont stand there expecting to hole every 5m putt

on the course dont put to much pressure on your putt, by thinking I have to hole this putt to make a par or a 2 point, what happens then is you charge the first putt and most often miss one coming back.

only 3 reasons miss a putt.

1 aim is wrong.(face control at impact)(missed the first spot)

2 speed control

3 poor read of break

But someone can aim well, read the break well and get the speed right but still mishit it! I think the frustration for most golfers is just not being able to execute well when they have everything else right. It could just be nerves or it could it be the putter. I think most store bought putters are too long and too upright.

• Can Break 80 and Forrest Gardener like this

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

But someone can aim well, read the break well and get the speed right but still mishit it! I think the frustration for most golfers is just not being able to execute well when they have everything else right. It could just be nerves or it could it be the putter. I think most store bought putters are too long and too upright.

Hard to get those 3 parts right and still miss more often than not. Even a mishit that's started online with the right pace will find the hole more frequently than not. I've seen plenty of players aim for a break that's not there, then pull or push it straight into the hole. So the stroke wasn't great but it had enough of the right elements to make the putt ! Great putters are usually great readers of break, they can then either roll it firmer or softer to get the ball to take the break or not. Gentle Ben could putt with a cricket bat if need be and still hole them.
Jon...

#13 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19756 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Perhaps the guy on the mower just mowed them from a different direction?  :D

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 07 August 2018 - 06:01 PM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#14 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:29 AM

I consciously make sure that I have very light putter grip pressure just before I pull the trigger. Other than that, for me its all mental. I focus on nothing but my very specific target (which is rarely the hole!) - that is all that is in my head.

I also don't worry about a practice stroke, I find that if I look at and focus purely on my target then my pace will be pretty close. I find that practice strokes just create tension and confusion and I'm only worried about getting my practice stroke "perfect". 

Finally remember what 'Can Break 80' said, statistically you won't make many long range putts outside of say 10ft. Therefore if I start the putt on the intended line then I'm happy with that, whether it goes in or not after that is out of my control.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, KEG and hack2489 like this

#15 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hi

Maybe work on a technique that is repeatable. If the only thing Ur are taking to the course from your practice is tempo and confidence then you're stuffed!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users