hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

most my life;)

Aren't you married? Surely you get told where to go often... How can you get lost with clear direction?
  • OldBogey, CaNadiAn MiCk and Dellavedova777 like this

#1128 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

My plan is to walk 9 holes a few times a week. ...

Well, I achieved that late yesterday afternoon at Royal Chinderah. 👍

The home track had the back marker, so it was unavailable for a social walk even late in the day. I was disappointed not to play the back marker, but work just doesn't want to let up, and the neck was so so early in the week. ☹️

So, I walked 9 at Royal Chinderah. Tee off at 4.50pm and finished the 9 in an exactly an hour. It was a mixed 9.

Played 1,2,3 then jumped to 15 to play the 'longer' par 4 holes. So played 15, 14, then 15 again, before finishing off 16,17,18.

Shot 4 over OTS to course par. 😀 And in that I didn't hit a single green in regulation. 🤔

It was howling from the North, so club selection was interesting. So, I'm not disappointed in missing the GIRs.

My 56* wedge was on song for the chip n run recovery shots. Left myself with easy one putts... Mostly.

The 4 shots I lost were:

1st, didn't take enough club into the green after an easy 5i off the tee. Overestimate the wind effect on the approach shot, then left the 56* wedge chip n run 2m from the pin and missed the putt. Both approach shot and chip n run could have been better.

15th, second time around, I sprayed the drive, like mega fade that the wind then took further. 2nd shot was a miss with open face too, so that put pressure on the recovery which left a 2m putt. 2 putts later and a bogey 5.

16th, very short 95m par 3 playing almost straight into the wind. Wind was coming from about 2 o'clock, tee shot with PW ended up off front left at about 8 o'clock, chip up left me 2m putt which didn't drop.

18th. A 135m par 3 with the wind coming across at about 90*. I took an extra club thinking wind effect and aimed way right. Wind pushed ball back but it was a club too long. Chip on a slight downslope was ok, but checked up quick and left me another 2m putt which didn't drop.

Other than the brain fade errors on the 15th, two misses in a row, overall I was happy with the final score.

Need to do a LOT more of these walks, but, down at the home track.

Edited by hack2489, 28 September 2019 - 08:41 AM.

• Dellavedova777 likes this

#1129 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

Solid

Good stuff

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1130 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

Solid

Good stuff

Playing to course par and tracking progress, result, is one thing ...

But.

Is it 'real' when the course has these types of ratings:

https://www.golf.org...ed Golfers (NSW)

🤷‍♂️ ... 😲

Edited by hack2489, 28 September 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#1131 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

So, quick calc, using my GA of 15.2 and the course slope of 70, would give me a daily of 9.

So, the 4 over OTS for 9 holes is pretty much where it has to be just to play to my current handicap, let alone, what I'm aiming to achieve.

Hmmm.

#1132 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 43513 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

Ah!

But different from OS!
  • hack2489 likes this

Handicap
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook

#1133 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

Snuck out at OSCC late Friday. Tee off at 4pm, off the 2nd (keys to the side gate) but got caught up by the 6th, so played 2 through again and finished the front 9 before it was 'too' dark. So managed to fit in 14 holes in just on 2 1/2 hours.

Shot 9 over OTS, playing off the blue (back) markers.

Some good easy steady golf shots in there, and then out of nowhere I lost it for a bit. Struggled to get an easy swing again.

No warm up, off I went:

2nd, easy Drive cutting corner of the water and finished middle of fairway 110m out. Into Northerly so took a 9i and put it pin high in the right side bunker. Blasted a 56* wedge out which rolled across green to just off on first cut. Chip back to 30cm with 56* wedge, putt for bogey 5.

3rd, playing 148m with right left wind coming in at about 2 o'clock. Took 6i, dropped it 4m left of the pin and missed the bird by a tap in.

4th, drive connected well but must have clipped top of a tree. 3w from inside trees on the right struck solid and ended up 56m from the pin. 56* wedge to 4m, and missed the bird by a tap in.

5th, driver left me 110m to the pin. With wind left to right ish coming in at about 10 o'clock. I need 100m to carry the front bunker, but knew more wasn't helpful as green slopes toward back behind bunker. Hit PW solid and just flew the bunker but rolled past pin leaving me 10m for bird. Two putt par, with a lot of pressure on the 2nd when I left the first 2m short miss reading the green.

I played the 6th, for another par after 5i to mid green and again missed the bird.

This is where I caught up to the group in front, so I walked across to replay the 2nd.

... more to come.

Edited by hack2489, 30 September 2019 - 08:24 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Dellavedova777 like this

#1134 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

OK, back again ...

I parked my gear on the edge of the 2nd and walked back to tee off the 2nd. Dropped drive mid fairway again, but 120m out, so took 8i into the northerly and missed the green left. 56* chip to about 1m and dropped the putt for par.

Par 3, 3rd, miss hit 6i to right edge but manged a PW (grass grain into club so played a less acute edge club to avoid the chunk) chip n run to a foot for a par.

Par 5, 4th, and an OK drive, put me under the branches of the tee trees, but still with a shot, I snuck a 3w up to 65m out, and put a 56* wedge to 4m. Missed the bird, so easy tap in par.

As I tend to do, I felt I was playing well, and starting to thinking about the score. And, yep, trouble set in. For those following along at home, to his point I am 1 over OTS, for the 8th holes played, with the one bogey on my first hole of the walk / afternoon.

I still don't know what it is that causes the swing change. But. It went ugly.

Par 4, 5th, I put a lovely big fade / slice onto a very solid drive and put it into the water right of the bunkers after a bounce. Playing 3 from an uphill lie, 160m out, and into the north wind, I thought best effort would be to get it down near the green. I took 5i, and swung 'easy' but pulled across it and put it left of the green almost in the water. Hmmm. Ok, what to do, punch low or go up n over? Let's try 60* up and over, which landed dead and stopped about 2m from the flag. Yay, putt this for bogey ... nope, missed. Grrrr. Double. Idiot. WTF? were you thinking?

Par 3 , 6th, easy 5i middle of the green is what I was thinking. Heck, I parked the gear and walked to tee off with a 5i in my hand, but didn't connect as well, and pulled it a tad left, but OK, just off the first cur into a bit of longer rough, just up behind the left bunker. Took a PW and got it to 1m and a presure putt for par. Lots of concentration, read the break and, phew, dropped it.

OK, we're back.

Idiot.

Stop thinking about the score.

Par 4, 7th, a whole a usually drive well but miss the green. Well, drive was a high fade right which must have bounced off the hill and rolled down near the cart track to be about 150m out. OK, 5i into the green, no sweat. Aim for middle of green, forgetting the left to right but slight from 8 o'clock northerly, and yep, ball finish up behind the pin, just on the first cut. Downhill putt was short, and too much pressure for the 2nd, so a bloody 3 putt and a bogey. Damn.

Par 3, 8th, "it's ok, you've birdied his before, swing easy and you'll be right", Hmmm, nope. First tee, was a weird miss, way way right over the houses and I think down the street! ****. Reload for 3 and pulled it left to pin high after a couple bounces. Wasn't a good shot, but got lucky. Hmmm, OK, pressure on the chip n putt, which was OK, with a PW to about 1m and dropped the putt for a double bogey.

C'mon idiot, get it together ...

Par 5, 9th, up the hill, 'ok you've struggled here, so let's aim for a bogey 6, 3 easy shots up the guts and on for 4' ... nah, smash a drive, and smash it I did ... snotted it out well down to the little dam on the left, but mid fairway. OK, so cool, 3w up and you have GIR in sight ... Nope. Pulled 3w WAY left and into trees on edge of 1st fairway. ****. ok ok, easy out and you're still ok. Hmmm, have to go under and through the trees, so took driver to punch it out onto the fairway and yep, got middle stump of a tree and still in trouble. ****. Hmmm, what now dickhead. OK, do it again, punch that driver up toward the green, and well, it work, and I finished up about 20m from front edge of the green for 4. "Hmmm, this should be on already you dickhead". Taking 56* wedge I put it about 3m below the hole, sweet, 1 putt ... nope, missed. Tap in for a double 7.

Last hole, par 5, 5th back down the hill.

OK, settle down, easy swing down the middle.

You beauty, straight down the guts and ... into the dropping northerly, but, just enough to hold it up enough and ... bugger. middle of the fairway bunker.

ok, ok, get it out and down to between the 150 and 100m markers.

Took 3w to ease it out, but got too steep and too much sand, so was still 200m out.

OK, take 3w and snot it down there. Nope, pulled it left over the bunkers. Finding it in the fading near non existent light was interesting, but I did find it and managed to get it onto the green, back edge using a PW. two putts later trying to read the green in the dark, left me with a bogey 6.

And that folks, is how you end up with 9 over OTS after starting out so well.

14 holes, 9 over OTS, after being 1 over OTS after 8 holes.

I was actually 3 over OTS after 10.

Hmmm, when the rot sets in ...

STOP THINKING ABOUT THE SCORECARD DICKHEAD!

#1135 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • 43513 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Good lesson - not always easy to do for some of us

Golf provides a lot of thinking time

Edited by Weetbix, 30 September 2019 - 09:23 AM.

• hack2489 likes this

Handicap

#1136 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

Good lesson - not always easy to do for some of us

Golf provides a lot of thinking time

Yeah, it's a fine balance. I need to be thinking about swing, on course management etc.

But.

Somehow seem to lose it once I become aware of a scorecard. It jumps into my mind and then BAM, I seem to lose focus on swing thoughts and process or something.

Weird.

Or, as I suspect, I start thinking it's too good, something has to go wrong and it does! Sport pysche 101.

Hmmmm.

I'm now more convinced than ever that the mental aspect is more important to my improvement than anything else. I need to learn, find, the trigger to being 'switched on' for the swing and course management but leave scorecard put of my mind.

Hmmmm.

Work in progress.

I know I need to think about each shot, what I'm doing, issues, technique etc. I can't be CGAF when I swing otherwise it's ugly. But, I also need to swing without ego or too much effort. Feels like balance on a knife edge to get right.

It's there. Just have to figure it out with more on course practise.

#1137 Dellavedova777

Dellavedova777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationGreat food and great company. Two of life's simplest yet greatest pleasures.

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:11 AM

Really enjoy reading this..funny, sweet, painful, nut. Perfect combination to start a week.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thank you for sharing!

• hack2489 likes this

Carpe Diem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users